Bradley to follow lynn

CDogg20

There's no evidence he was running Roman's exact offense. Our offense produced strikingly different results under Lynn. There's even a quote out there saying he eliminated half of Roman's playbook. Besides, if you were suddenly promoted to your boss's job, would keep things exactly the same? Plus, I doubt we'll see much of a change in our offense next season.

Well Lynn himself said it was the same offense and he didn't make any changes. When asked what changes he would make, he said terminology would be the biggest difference as all NFL offenses run the same plays anyway.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Bradley as DC though. I've wanted the Bills to be running the SEA style defense since the Marrone era. I would just be curious as to who he brings in to coach DBs because in SEA that is the strength of that team and that is Pete Carroll.

I'd bet it would be Donnie Henderson.

Do we even know what a "Lynn offense" is? He was essentially running Roman's offense - we don't really know for sure if he will continnue some version of that? If he tries to install something totally different then the whole continuity on offense argument goes out the window

No, we haven't seen his offense yet. My understanding is that he's a west coast offense guy.

My point is that Lynn is going to install his own offense, not bring in a big name OC

There's a whole thread about why he shouldn't be DC.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191122-the-case-against-gus-bradley-for-dc/?fromsearch=1

Hire Schwartz and give Lynn $$$ to stick around. If JS lost interest, promote Lynn and get Wade for $$$.

I'm a fan of Schwartz, but there are problems with his scheme as well. You need the guys up front to run it. In a way he's like Ryan, in that he needs a specific type of player.

With Bradley, you are getting a guy who molds his scheme to fit players strengths. He made stars out of players drafted in the later rounds. Earl Thomas and Bruce Irvin, who was a part time player, were the only players drafted in the first round. Chancellor, Wright, Wagner and Sherman all picked after the first round.

And Bradley does a good job of mixing his schemes, on running downs he uses the 4-3 under, which looks like a 3-4 alignment. So it's stout against the run. Then on passing downs he goes to something that looks like a Wide-9, with two "Leo's", and they put lots of pressure on the QBs.

It's not complicated and allows players to just go out and play.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

No, we haven't seen his offense yet. My understanding is that he's a west coast offense guy.

My point is that Lynn is going to install his own offense, not bring in a big name OC

I don't think we know that for sure. I think the most logical summation is that he brings in someone to collaborate on the offense with him; someone who would have equal input. I don't think he will hire a figurehead a la Arians in ARI or like when Gailey was here. At least, I hope he doesn't.

He's never been a coordinator before. I would hope that he does not try to take on the duties of HC and OC all at once while never having done either job before. I'm sure he will be involved in gameday playcalling, but there's alot more to the job than just calling plays.

Maybe Lynn goes all Andy Reid and is just a brilliant offensive mind that was never an OC before but I doubt it. He has been in the league too long for that IMO. Someone would have given him a shot by now to run an offense.

But more likely, if A. Lynn is going to be successful as a HC, it's going to be as a CEO type leader, a la John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin, which means he will need strong coordinators on both sides of the ball.

I'm a fan of Schwartz, but there are problems with his scheme as well. You need the guys up front to run it. In a way he's like Ryan, in that he needs a specific type of player.

With Bradley, you are getting a guy who molds his scheme to fit players strengths. He made stars out of players drafted in the later rounds. Earl Thomas and Bruce Irvin, who was a part time player, were the only players drafted in the first round. Chancellor, Wright, Wagner and Sherman all picked after the first round.

And Bradley does a good job of mixing his schemes, on running downs he uses the 4-3 under, which looks like a 3-4 alignment. So it's stout against the run. Then on passing downs he goes to something that looks like a Wide-9, with two "Leo's", and they put lots of pressure on the QBs.

As shown in the other thread, Seattle remained at the top while Bradley was gone, and the Jaguars never improved. Was he the reason Seattle was good? Doesn't look like it. Why wasn't he able to fit the defense to the Jaguars' strengths?

As shown in the other thread, Seattle remained at the top while Bradley was gone, and the Jaguars never improved. Was he the reason Seattle was good? Doesn't look like it. Why wasn't he able to fit the defense to the Jaguars' strengths?

Because he was the HC not the DC.

Why wasn't Schwartz able to make the defense in Detroit as good as his defenses elsewhere?

My thoughts exactly. I want us to be able to play and use their talent and not be hindered by the scheme. Not to mention, know what defense they are in and how many players need to be on the field for it. :doh:

The other thread shows pretty clearly that Jax's D got a lot better this seasin. They're 13th in defensive DVOA.

Because he was the HC not the DC.

Why wasn't Schwartz able to make the defense in Detroit as good as his defenses elsewhere?

He did improve the Detroit D. The year before he arrived, they were ranked 32nd in DVOA and were talentless. Here are the results of his five seasons:

2009 - 32nd

2010 - 22nd

2011 - 9th

2012 - 24th

2013 - 14th

Keep in mind that he took over an 0-16 team that another solid defensive coach, Marinelli, couldn't do anything with because of the absolutely terrible talent on defense.

I'll have to check out Bradley as a DC....but why would Kramer make a good OC?

Exactly. A couple good years of OL play does not automatically mean OC of the future. This is the same as saying I don't want Coach X because his current team/offense/defense suck.