Freudian Slip?? Here's why A-Lynn Spoke First

theRalph

Well that's whata TT IS doing lol. Maybe Cardale can hit Clay reliably

Yes, but if the Bills move on from TT it's because they think they hit the ceiling. Cardale is a big unknown that if he hits would be a home run.

I have no idea what the Bills are thinking and that's why the media and fans are spinning around looking for clues.

The Bills are being mauled in the national media for their apparent botching of the PR side of Rex's firing. At first, I also thought it awkward.

Now I believe it was quite calculated, and possibly brilliant. Here's why:

1. If Whaley or Brandon (or even Terry Pegula) appeared before the press, the questions about the in-season firing of Rex and disposition on Tyrod would have been relentless. Buffalo wants to maintain the trade value of Taylor without risking injury to him. A-Lynn was most certainly in the meeting that determined EJ would start, but he was given the out of being able to say he wasn't in the meeting. The Bills avoided answering questions by staging an awkward presser that, for all its Jerry Sullivan induced scandal, revealed little or nothing of the Bills' plan.

2. And they've been accused of not having a plan. I believe they do. A-Lynn's gaffe of replying "Cardale Jones" to the question of the starting QB versus the Jets, was truly a mistake according to WGR550's Sal Capaccio. But it was certainly a Freudian Slip. Although no formal interview has been conducted, you can bet that Lynn has sat down with the Pegulas and Whaley and laid out his plan as concisely as he answered football questions in his presser. His plan IS Cardale Jones who is a WINNER and will start in 2017. He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side. He was impressive for situation he was thrust into. That press conference was every bit a part of his audition. He is the next Bills' head coach.

3. And speaking of Mike Pettine... It's well-known he's a maniac about detail and order. And just like a rock band that is good with certain members, but loses something when one is replaced, Rex lost something when he parted ways with Mike Pettine. Rex Ryan needs, in any coaching capacity, a detail-obsessed aide that holds sway over him. Someone that's able to act as a check and balance against Rex's emotion-driven coaching style. Rex's defenses haven't been worth a darn since he and Pettine parted ways.

Just because he was on a team that won, does not mean that he is a "winner" or an answer to our QB situation. He was on a stacked team who won because of their running game and defense. Sure, he put up decent numbers in a few games, but upon closer inspection of those games you will see defenses trying to stop the run, leaving WRs wide open who Cardale still often under threw or over threw and the WRs made some amazing plays. He was not that impressive at all. His unimpressive play continued into next season when he was, eventually, demoted to backup. He has a strong arm, sure, but beyond that, there is little left over. Terrible accuracy, sub par decision making, and not enough speed to be an effective NFL scrambler. The sooner posters around realize it, the better.

Can you explain this a bit further? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I always thought that utilizing the 3-4 as the base defense gave the DC an advantage in terms of versatility. Linebackers that can either rush the passer, play the run, or drop into coverage. That is, of course, if the DC had the proper personnel.

The Bills were clearly lacking a true NT for the scheme, and many have contended that Preston Brown was playing out of position as a 3-4 ILB. Also, not having competent safeties hurt us, but that would adversely impact any defense regardless of scheme.

Not trying to defend Rex's 3-4 at all, but wondering why you think the scheme itself is somewhat antiquated.

I think which scheme gives the advantage depends upon the personnel one has.

I like this article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80d6974b/article/effectiveness-of-34-vs-43-is-found-in-the-numbers

Pay attention to the part about 4-3 line stunt and other stunting techniques.

We started 2015 with an amazing DL, fully capable of stunting and penetrating and hell on wheels to block, but merely "capable" LB who were capable of getting it done in a 4-3, but just not the "utility vehicle" pass rushing/drop into coverage fast decision making stars that make a 3-4 shine. And I don't care what Rex says, he did not start the year running "defensive concepts from last year" in a sincere way. The key to Schwartz D was "keep it simple, keep it fast, keep it confusing by changing the looks but building on what you do well". Rex may have on occasion had the bodies line up in the same positions, but he never embraced simplicity and speed.

PS I realize I have not addressed your question regarding whether the 3-4 scheme is antiquated in today's NFL, and I too would like to hear the answer to that.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I believe Lynn is telling the truth when he says he wasn't part of the meeting to bench TT. I think that decision was made by DW and ownership when they decided to fire Rex and that Lynn found that out at the same time he was told he would be the interim HC. I wouldn't be surprised if Lynn was basically told if you want to be the HC for the last game, EJ starts and if he didn't agree to that, they'd have made someone else the interim.

Please, please, please no to Pettine. His defense was not good, especially against the run as the stats previously posted point out. We have too many players playing out of position in a 3-4; #99, 95, 52, 55, 90. We need to go back to the 4-3 to best utilize our talent.

Can you explain this a bit further? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I always thought that utilizing the 3-4 as the base defense gave the DC an advantage in terms of versatility. Linebackers that can either rush the passer, play the run, or drop into coverage. That is, of course, if the DC had the proper personnel.

The Bills were clearly lacking a true NT for the scheme, and many have contended that Preston Brown was playing out of position as a 3-4 ILB. Also, not having competent safeties hurt us, but that would adversely impact any defense regardless of scheme.

Not trying to defend Rex's 3-4 at all, but wondering why you think the scheme itself is somewhat antiquated.

Less practice time to master the calls and formations, that doesn't explain our terrible season but it's a legitimate conversation that anyone even considering hiring Rex would have to have. Less contact down the field which allowed corners to play in man coverage even against good WRs. Much of it has been discussed here at one point or another and I'm starting to accept that keeping it simple on defense might be the best counter to the quick passing attacks. I'm sure other posters can speak better of it I'm not a film/formations guy. I can safely say that Rex's defense in Buffalo never looked like his Jets defense in his early years.

Of course Lynn is telling the truth about not being in the room when they decided to bench TT to avoid injury. HE WASNT HEAD COACH AT THE TIME and had no business being in that meeting. Rex was told TT had to sit, Rex didn't toe the company line and he was fired a week earlier than scheduled.

Who made the decision to sit TT is the biggest non story in a while. It came from the front office and nobody can be surprised that the front office exerted control over game day personnel in this instance. Nobody. Most of all our crackerjack local media who know full well the who and why of the decision yet insist on making it a story about the front office wresting control over the HC who is supposed to have final say on who plays. That's not always true and in this case at least, it was the right decision given the contractual circumstance.

I don't blame a coach who wants the best player to play, that's a good thing. I also don't blame a front office that needed to protect its interests in this case and asserted its authority to do so. The hacks employed to cover the team know this, so it begs the question why they would seek to sensationalize a good business decison and such a trivial matter.

Edited by K-9

Of course Lynn is telling the truth about not being in the room when they decided to bench TT to avoid injury. HE WASNT HEAD COACH AT THE TIME and had no business being in that meeting. Rex was told TT had to sit, Rex didn't toe the company line and he was fired a week earlier than scheduled.

Who made the decision to sit TT is the biggest non story in a while. It came from the front office and nobody can be surprised that the front office exerted control over game day personnel in this instance. Nobody. Most of all our crackerjack local media who know full well the who and why of the decision yet insist on making it a story about the front office wresting control over the HC who is supposed to have final say on who plays. That's not always true and in this case at least, it was the right decision given the contractual circumstance.

I don't blame a coach who wants the best player to play, that's a good thing. I also don't blame a front office that needed to protect its interests in this case and asserted its authority to do so. The hacks employed to cover the team know this, so it begs the question why they would seek to sensationalize a good business decison and such a trivial matter.

This is exactly right.

While I don't dis-agree with this happening. I really don't think TT has much trade value as everyone knows, if the Bills are even talking to others, then they are ready to move on, so can wait them out until he's cut. However is still some value in a trade as that team now has TT locked up. Or could be the Bills plan to keep TT for one more season as don't think Cardale is quite ready but announce to other teams we would trade him for a #1. If some team is willing to pay that much they move on, else they bring him back at least for one more season.

Even if EJ were to pull a Rb Johnson season farewell out, he's a FA, considering everything he's gone through in past 4 seasons, can't imagine him coming back. There's really not many better experienced options out there, so will be surprised if TT isn't brought back along with Cardale and maybe draft someone else for future development if Jones doesn't work out.

Pettine thing could happening as I'd assume they have history together from the Jets. He was away for a year, so gave him time to recoup and want to get back into game before he becomes a forgotten man.

The Bills are being mauled in the national media for their apparent botching of the PR side of Rex's firing. At first, I also thought it awkward.

1. If Whaley or Brandon (or even Terry Pegula) appeared before the press, the questions about the in-season firing of Rex and disposition on Tyrod would have been relentless. Buffalo wants to maintain the trade value of Taylor without risking injury to him. A-Lynn was most certainly in the meeting that determined EJ would start, but he was given the out of being able to say he wasn't in the meeting. The Bills avoided answering questions by staging an awkward presser that, for all its Jerry Sullivan induced scandal, revealed little or nothing of the Bills' plan.

2. And they've been accused of not having a plan. I believe they do. A-Lynn's gaffe of replying "Cardale Jones" to the question of the starting QB versus the Jets, was truly a mistake according to WGR550's Sal Capaccio. But it was certainly a Freudian Slip. Although no formal interview has been conducted, you can bet that Lynn has sat down with the Pegulas and Whaley and laid out his plan as concisely as he answered football questions in his presser. His plan IS Cardale Jones who is a WINNER and will start in 2017. He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side. He was impressive for situation he was thrust into. That press conference was every bit a part of his audition. He is the next Bills' head coach.

3. And speaking of Mike Pettine... It's well-known he's a maniac about detail and order. And just like a rock band that is good with certain members, but loses something when one is replaced, Rex lost something when he parted ways with Mike Pettine. Rex Ryan needs, in any coaching capacity, a detail-obsessed aide that holds sway over him. Someone that's able to act as a check and balance against Rex's emotion-driven coaching style. Rex's defenses haven't been worth a darn since he and Pettine parted ways.

Amen, thanks for the post!

Less practice time to master the calls and formations, that doesn't explain our terrible season but it's a legitimate conversation that anyone even considering hiring Rex would have to have. Less contact down the field which allowed corners to play in man coverage even against good WRs. Much of it has been discussed here at one point or another and I'm starting to accept that keeping it simple on defense might be the best counter to the quick passing attacks. I'm sure other posters can speak better of it I'm not a film/formations guy. I can safely say that Rex's defense in Buffalo never looked like his Jets defense in his early years.

So your perception, if I am to understand correctly, is that it's not necessarily that NFL offenses have made the 3-4 "antiquated" or less effective. It is more about practice restrictions outlined by the CBA, in that, there is simply not enough practice time to correctly and sufficiently coach the 3-4?

Amen, thanks for the post!

Indeed. Quality post...thanks. Although I'm still not 100% convinced that the OC was not in the room to weigh in on whether or not to start HIS starting QB. Whether his input was important to the "decision makers" or not, you think he would have been extended that courtesy. Especially if he is viewed as a potential piece of the puzzle moving forward; which I believe ALynn is. Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Just because he was on a team that won, does not mean that he is a "winner" or an answer to our QB situation. He was on a stacked team who won because of their running game and defense. Sure, he put up decent numbers in a few games, but upon closer inspection of those games you will see defenses trying to stop the run, leaving WRs wide open who Cardale still often under threw or over threw and the WRs made some amazing plays. He was not that impressive at all. His unimpressive play continued into next season when he was, eventually, demoted to backup. He has a strong arm, sure, but beyond that, there is little left over. Terrible accuracy, sub par decision making, and not enough speed to be an effective NFL scrambler. The sooner posters around realize it, the better.

Agree with this. Sure Cardale was competent enough to close out the national championship run on a stacked OSU team, but he only has a handful of starts and was eventually demoted. Even if he had a stronger body of work at OSU, college success isn't a predictor of pro success anymore. Call him a "WINNER" in all caps doesn't change that. He's an unknown at this point; we've seen nothing to suggest he can hack it in the NFL. If Lynn and the rest of the FO are betting their jobs on this kid, that kind of short-sightedness is astounding. I hope they have a backup plan in place (and it better not involve EJ).

Agree with the other points the OP made though.

I have read gobs of stories about Rex's firing, A-Lynn's appointment and EJ starting on Sunday.

Are there any facts in any of these stories - aside from the first line of this post? These writers and broadcasters are all citing the reasons behind the decisions and the actions of those directly and indirectly involved - but few coincide with each other. Their summary line - "The Bills are a Dumpster Fire" is the only thing they agree on. Some say Pegula did something, some say Whaley, some say Brandon - did they all do something here? Which version are we to believe?

Pegula said the Rex termination was mutual. Mehta said Rex went in and said if you're going to fire me, do it now - - and so it was. True? Who knows (besides Rex & Terry/Kim).

Did Bills Management let A-Lynn twist in the wind? Whaley already said he was going to do a presser next Monday. Historically he has said the coach is the mouth-piece in-season, the GM is during the offseason. Having A-Lynn do the media on Wednesday is SOP, is it not? Granted, some extraordinary circumstances here, but the Bills did say that Whaley's presser is next Monday and despite the media wanting info and wanting it their way, doesn't mean the Bills need to comply.

With so many stories and versions flying around, I suggest we exhale and just take the news as it's presented by the Bills and go with it. They are a private enterprise and don't need to air their laundry if they don't want to. They are not going to say Rex sucks - they're saying we are mutually parting ways. It's a fact A-Lynn is coaching Sunday, it's a fact EJ is starting - the whys, make us curious - but no explanation has to be given despite the medias cry for it.

We have 1 more game this year - let's see what EJ can do. Do they play well, run for the bus or look like they really want to play for A-Lynn? It'll be interesting to see.

1. Then we can see what Whaley has to say next Monday.
  2. Then the Coaching search . . . who will be the candidates?
  3. What will be their plan for the QB and the Defense?
  4. Is TT hurt - hammy or groin? Either way, he's the best QB we have and until we find our Tom Brady / Jim Kelly 2.0, we need to ensure he stays in Buffalo.
  5. It's sad we are not in the playoffs and ironically, had we beaten the Fish, we'd still be alive.
  6. Many said we never should have hired Rex. Maybe they were right, he certainly made many maddening mistakes and they summed up to be enough for Terry/Kim to say "Enough!".
  7. We arm-chair Team Presidents need to sit back and see what they decide to do and stop theorizing why they do things the way they do. It's difficult to clearly understand anything with the media constantly stirring the pot and grinding the axes, but until we see universal reports that align, we need to be realistic and know that it's all bluster to sell papers or get clicks.

Time will tell.

When is the draft?

How do you "LIKE" a post!

Well said!

Sure they palnned on Lynn bumbling through his first press conference. :doh:

They don't have a plan that is why we are in this same position again. :bag:

Sure they palnned on Lynn bumbling through his first press conference. :doh:

They don't have a plan that is why we are in this same position again. :bag:

Exactly. I know many here are fed up with what they see as a vindictive, unprofessional local media. There's a new thread every time Sullivan or whoever else writes something seen as overly critical of the team. Thing is, his words and the team's actions don't exist in a vacuum. It's easy to sit and craft some convoluted theory on why the Lynn presser was actually a stroke of genius, or that Sully's words don't matter because he's a hack or holding a grudge or whatever. But optics matter and the popular opinion around the league, in front offices are influenced by this stuff. And while we can all sit back and say the team should just ignore these local hacks because they don't matter, they affect the perception around the league and the opinions of those who do matter - the coaches/personnel people that you are trying to court to build an actual winning team.