Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

That "leaked info" was probably a stroke of marketing genius by Brandon himself.

Beat me to it.

Sort of like Anthony Lynn being in line for the Rams job after immediately after Fisher was fired. Or that Rex would be fired because he didn't get enough out of the talent Whaley acquired.

If Lynn becomes their pick it's not going to be taken well. And OBD has no one to blame but themselves for creating such a terrible work environment. And that all goes back to the team president and GM who feed their favorite media types these narratives.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pegula is still just feeling things out, IMO

He did fire Ted Black, who came into Buffalo as his right hand man.

Whaley couldn't get along with Marrone. Whaley couldn't get along with Rex. Maybe he didn't want either, which suggests more dysfunction than most even realize. Either way, there is a pattern.

If he still cannot work with Lynn, who will likely be the new HC, then he will be gone. Bet on it.

Terry will fire you if you don't produce. It just takes longer for some.

As far as this roster being 11-5?

No way. I just don't see it.

Bills fans over rate Bills players.

Gillmore is gone. Tyrod likely gone. Aaron Williams retires or gets cut in all likelihood. Kyle a year older... is he in the plans?

:death:

Pegula is still just feeling things out, IMO

He did fire Ted Black, who came into Buffalo as his right hand man.

Whaley couldn't get along with Marrone. Whaley couldn't get along with Rex. Maybe he didn't want either, which suggests more dysfunction than most even realize. Either way, there is a pattern.

If he still cannot work with Lynn, who will likely be the new HC, then he will be gone. Bet on it.

Terry will fire you if you don't produce. It just takes longer for some.
As far as this roster being 11-5?

No way. I just don't see it.

Bills fans over rate Bills players.

Gillmore is gone. Tyrod likely gone. Aaron Williams retires or gets cut in all likelihood. Kyle a year older... is he in the plans?

Does this lead to bottoming out next yr?

@viccarucci

My #Bills Wake-Up Call: Don't expect a thorough 'search' for new HC. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/8FEAhEu2mK

The Buffalo Bills are calling it a search.

I'm calling it a "search."

The Bills apparently intend to interview candidates to replace Rex Ryan as head coach, but it's hard to imagine them putting forth a exhaustive, no-stone-left-unturned effort into finding his replacement.

For one, there's every indication from within One Bills Drive that they're settled on sticking with Anthony Lynn beyond the interim head coach status he has for Sunday's season-finale against the New York Jets.

Beat me to it.

Sort of like Anthony Lynn being in line for the Rams job after immediately after Fisher was fired. Or that Rex would be fired because he didn't get enough out of the talent Whaley acquired.

If Lynn becomes their pick it's not going to be taken well. And OBD has no one to blame but themselves for creating such a terrible work environment. And that all goes back to the team president and GM who feed their favorite media types these narratives.

When Lynn is hired*

There is no question that if Lynn wins Sunday he is the clubhouse leader.

I am not too worried about the "only 13 games as a coordinator" thing. Mike Tomlin had 1 season as a DC in Minnesota before he got the Steelers job and he oversaw the 32nd rank pass defence in the league (though it was 8th in overall D). That hasn't gone too badly has it?

Great play callers do not always great Head Coaches make.... we have been that route with Greggo and Chan etc... If the Bills believe Lynn is a leader capable of putting together a staff and organising a team that is disciplined and focused his 1 year as a play caller will matter not a jot.

Edited by GunnerBill

There is no question that if Lynn wins Sunday he is the clubhouse leader.

I am not too worried about the "only 13 games as a coordinator" thing. Mike Tomlin had 1 season as a DC in Minnesota before he got the Steelers job and he oversaw the 32nd rank pass defence in the league (though it was 8th in overall D). That hasn't gone too badly has it?

Great play callers do not always great Head Coaches make.... we have been that route with Greggo and Chan etc... If the Bills believe Lynn is a leader capable of putting together a staff and organising a team that is disciplined and focused his 1 year as a play caller will matter not a jot.

If Lynn gets the HC gig, my biggest concern will be who he chooses as DC in order to get the most of the talented players they have on defense.

If he was able to do this two years ago, we'd be a playoff team already.

I cautiously agree, but who knows who our HC would have indeed been. Schwartz? Failed as a HC. Hue Jackson? Would have been good most likely. Look at the Bengals, they have fallen down after he left.

Anthony Lynn....a running back coach with the jets. no offensive coordinator experience. no playbook of his own, Using GReg Roman's playbook... The Bills passing game is embarrassing ranked Dead last...

I would like to see Sean Peyton come to the Bills. Let him bring Drew Brees with him.

Anthony Lynn....a running back coach with the jets. no offensive coordinator experience. no playbook of his own, Using GReg Roman's playbook... The Bills passing game is embarrassing ranked Dead last...

I would like to see Sean Peyton come to the Bills. Let him bring Drew Brees with him.

Doug Whaley is in charge of the hire, your not going to see anyone hired that will threaten him. 99.9% sure it's going to Lynn. Whaley is in good with the Pegula's and he will be able to push and pull a guy like Lynn. I'm sure they already have a working relationship and have discussed how great they are going to be together.

Between most fans being fed up with Whaley (I am personally not yet) and solid evidence that Whaley wasn't a huge fan of Rex/ St. Doug, why not give him the reigns so he goes down if this next HC doesn't work? I think this is the best route to go

That's why they are fans, because they have a hard time understanding that every GM in the NFL doesn't have a 100% hit rate on every draft pick...in fact plenty of them have far fewer hits than Whaley has had...

and very few people are touching his record on FA's, waiver wire pickups, trades and practice squad grabs...

Sounds like a pretty similar path to Mike Tomlin...

was DC for a year with the Vikings then hired as HC...he's done OK for himself I think.

@buffalobills

"Doug Whaley was part of the process two years ago and made his recommendations, but now he'll take a lead role." http://bufbills.co/2BS9eM

C0xT2RFXEAAntvt.jpg

The Bills general manager was part of the process two years ago and made his recommendations, but indication now is Whaley will take a lead role in the search for a new head coach.

He could begin to put out requests to interview coaching candidates as soon as the end of the week.

Interim head coach Anthony Lynn is expected to be a consideration.

The Bills will leave "no stone un-turned", the problem is they will only be digging in their own yard. This is classic Bills.

Classic Bills? When was the last time they promoted from within to their permanent HC opening? It is actually the opposite of classic Bills. Edited by YoloinOhio

Classic Bills? When was the last time they promoted from within to their permanent HC opening? It is actually the opposite of classic Bills.

Agreed. I would be perfectly fine with Lynn as the HC.

Could you imagine if Lynn was an OC with any other NFL team, and that NFL team was 7th in the NFL in scoring and top 10 in several offensive categories? This forum would be all over him.

We need to do with Lynn what we didn't do with Schwartz: promote him.

@buffalobills

"Doug Whaley was part of the process two years ago and made his recommendations, but now he'll take a lead role." http://bufbills.co/2BS9eM

This right here is the problem. How can your GM make 'recommendations' on a HC? He's the one that should be ultimately accountable for the football operations of the team. This should have been his hire. That it wasn't is a serious problem with how the front office operates. Is Russ up to his old tricks?

If this is true, then I think it's clear that Russ really did push Rex... and it should be Russ that gets sent packing.