Trump foreign policy

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

CHANGE: John Bolton: ‘We’re not afraid to use the word Monroe Doctrine.’

“In this administration, we’re not afraid to use the word Monroe Doctrine. This is a country in our hemisphere. It’s been the objective of American presidents going back to Ronald Reagan to have a completely democratic hemisphere,” Bolton told [CNN’s Jake] Tapper. “I mentioned at the end of last year that we’re looking at the talk of tyranny. Part of the problem in Venezuela is the heavy Cuban presence. 20,000 to 25,000 Cuban security officials by reports that have been in the public. But this is the sort of thing that we find unacceptable and that’s why we’re pursuing these policies.”

Flashback: John Kerry: “The Monroe Doctrine Is Over.”

Slate, November 19, 2013.

Looks like a new edition just got printed.

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

CHANGE: John Bolton: ‘We’re not afraid to use the word Monroe Doctrine.’

“In this administration, we’re not afraid to use the word Monroe Doctrine. This is a country in our hemisphere. It’s been the objective of American presidents going back to Ronald Reagan to have a completely democratic hemisphere,” Bolton told [CNN’s Jake] Tapper. “I mentioned at the end of last year that we’re looking at the talk of tyranny. Part of the problem in Venezuela is the heavy Cuban presence. 20,000 to 25,000 Cuban security officials by reports that have been in the public. But this is the sort of thing that we find unacceptable and that’s why we’re pursuing these policies.”

Flashback: John Kerry: “The Monroe Doctrine Is Over.”

Slate, November 19, 2013.

John Kerry should be over. Over a bench in a Federal POUNDHIMINTHEASSPRISON. 

9 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-china-close-reaching-major-trade-deal-report-213215750--finance.html

Awful. Just awful. We should do no trade with China. The only peaceful China is an economically weak China. I suppose Trump doesn’t mind funding war hungry Marxist’s. 

We have to beat them. They’ll be itching for a hot war if we don’t.

Trump’s the first POTUS to actually take them on and not treat them like a poor child needing help to develop beyond a third world country.

They have aspirations to become the leading power in the world. Make no mistake about it. 

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

John Kerry should be over. Over a bench in a Federal POUNDHIMINTHEASSPRISON. 

We have to beat them. They’ll be itching for a hot war if we don’t.

Trump’s the first POTUS to actually take them on and not treat them like a poor child needing help to develop beyond a third world country.

They have aspirations to become the leading power in the world. Make no mistake about it. 

Any trade deal, no matter how good, will give China access to our markets. They’ll use our money to continue their rearmament. Good luck, Taiwan.  

11 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Any trade deal, no matter how good, will give China access to our markets. They’ll use our money to continue their rearmament. Good luck, Taiwan.  

They already have access to our markets and have been a member of the WTO since 2001. The negotiations going on only favor the USA.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

They already have access to our markets and have been a member of the WTO since 2001. The negotiations going on only favor the USA.

I’d tariff everything from China 100%.

Id then publicly recognize Taiwan. I’d publicly endorse a defensive pact with Taiwan that I’d try to get Japan and S Korea in on. 

Fucj China.    

16 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Id then publicly recognize Taiwan. I’d publicly endorse a defensive pact with Taiwan that I’d try to get Japan and S Korea in on.

I'd take it even further.  Rather than a defensive pact with Taiwan, I would invite Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, and any other Pacific nation alarmed by Chinese aggression to form a Pacific equivalent to NATO

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

I’d tariff everything from China 100%.

Fucj China.    

you do realize a sizable amount of most of the Fortune 500 strategic plans for the next 5 years involves continued earnings expansion in China correct?

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you do realize a sizable amount of most of the Fortune 500 strategic plans for the next 5 years involves continued earnings expansion in China correct?

China is a threat the likes of which the world has never seen. They want the pacific, and unchecked, in the next 15 years they’ll take it. 

28 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

China is a threat the likes of which the world has never seen. They want the pacific, and unchecked, in the next 15 years they’ll take it. 

Who cares? Word has it we'll all be dead in 12 years anyhow.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

In other words, they're like the Japanese in the 20s and 30s.

You're a ***** idiot.

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I'd take it even further.  Rather than a defensive pact with Taiwan, I would invite Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, and any other Pacific nation alarmed by Chinese aggression to form a Pacific equivalent to NATO

There already is one - SEATO. 

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

In other words, they're like the Japanese in the 20s and 30s.

You're a ***** idiot.

I know history and thinking aren’t your game. Routinely you prove it. Like here. Tell me about Japans nuclear aresanal during the 1920’s and 1930’s. 

For a guy who insists others are idiots you sure do ***** up a lot. 

Tom, normally I don’t advise this, but if you’re ever peering out over a ledge and thinking ‘the world would be better off without me’ you’d be right. Take David Lee Roth’s advice and jump. 

Edited by The_Dude

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I know history and thinking aren’t your game. Routinely you prove it. Like here. Tell me about Japans nuclear aresanal during the 1920’s and 1930’s. 

For a guy who insists others are idiots you sure do ***** up a lot. 

Tom, normally I don’t advise this, but if you’re ever peering out over a ledge and thinking ‘the world would be better off without me’ you’d be right. Take David Lee Roth’s advice and jump. 

Seriously, you can make a post like this and still defend smoking pot? Who in the hell was talking about nuclear aresanalalaresanallls in the 1920's?

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Seriously, you can make a post like this and still defend smoking pot? Who in the hell was talking about nuclear aresanalalaresanallls in the 1920's?

Oh. My. God. 

Do you think I thought....never mind. Maybe go back and give it another read.

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

@The_Dude The battleship fleet was the "nuclear arsenal" of the 20s and 30s.  It's how strategic power was measured.  It's why it was the focus of multiple arms treaties in the 20s and 30s.

And I only see your bull#### when someone else quotes you.

5 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Oh. My. God. 

Do you think I thought....

No.

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

@The_Dude The battleship fleet was the "nuclear arsenal" of the 20s and 30s.  It's how strategic power was measured.  It's why it was the focus of multiple arms treaties in the 20s and 30s.

And I only see your bull#### when someone else quotes you.

Nice attempt, Tammy. There was no nuclear arsenal before nuclear arsenals. Your point is idiotic. And there isn't a reason why there were so many naval treaties on the sizes of navies during that time. There were many reasons. 

My bull####? Ho please. '40% of slave owners in the S. Carolina were black. I read it in a very rare census.' 'Ya know the jews did attack the Colosseum.' I mean you've cooked up some real knee-slappers. And you pretend to be better read, more learned, and more intelligent than others, especially me. 

Don't worry, when I correctly state you're wrong from here on out, you wont have to know. Enjoy your safe space.

13 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Nice attempt, Tammy. There was no nuclear arsenal before nuclear arsenals. Your point is idiotic. And there isn't a reason why there were so many naval treaties on the sizes of navies during that time. There were many reasons. 

My bull####? Ho please. '40% of slave owners in the S. Carolina were black. I read it in a very rare census.' 'Ya know the jews did attack the Colosseum.' I mean you've cooked up some real knee-slappers. And you pretend to be better read, more learned, and more intelligent than others, especially me. 

Don't worry, when I correctly state you're wrong from here on out, you wont have to know. Enjoy your safe space.

Is your point that the main concern about China is their nuclear arsenal?  But not their 2 million + military personal, and advancements in all phases of military equipment and armaments?  Only nukes.  Got it.

31 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Jesus Christ, you're a ***** fool.  You can't even equate the concept of "strategic power" across eras, and through some warped mental process equate imperialist foreign policy to "has nuclear weapons," all in a vainglorious attempt to justify "China is an unprecedented threat!" as not being a blisteringly stupid and ignorant position.

You are one of the most phenomenal dunces I've ever come across.  You combine a remarkable ignorance of basic knowledge with a preternatural inability to form a rational chain of thought, with amazing functional illiteracy, with the most over-inflated sense of self-importance I have ever seen.  You are a supernatural maelstrom of stupidity and delusion.

And you're ugly, and you mother dresses you funny.

Edited by DC Tom

Just now, DC Tom said:

Jesus Christ, you're a ***** fool.  You can't even equate the concept of "strategic power" across eras, and through some warped mental process equate imperialist foreign policy to "has nuclear weapons," all in a vainglorious attempt to justify "China is an unprecedented threat!" as not being a blisteringly stupid and ignorant position.

You are one of the most phenomenal dunces I've ever come across.  You combine a remarkable ignorance of basic knowledge with a preternatural inability to form a rational chain of thought, with amazing functional illiteracy, with the most over-inflated sense of self-importance I have ever seen.  You are a supernatural maelstrom of stupidity and delusion.

And you're ugly, and you mother dresses you funny.

You're the master of moving goalposts, Tom. 

1930 Japan is not the threat that China is today because technology. Your point was stupid, your defense of it is amazing. 

18 minutes ago, GG said:

Is your point that the main concern about China is their nuclear arsenal?  But not their 2 million + military personal, and advancements in all phases of military equipment and armaments?  Only nukes.  Got it.

No, that's not my main concern. It is the main difference though between China's military today, and Japan's in 1930.

I just had to point that out to our resident know-it-all who for some reason is constantly wrong. 

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

1930 Japan is not the threat that China is today because technology. Your point was stupid, your defense of it is amazing. 

No, that's not my main concern. It is the main difference though between China's military today, and Japan's in 1930.

I just had to point that out to our resident know-it-all who for some reason is constantly wrong. 

No it is not. 

China has had nukes for decades and it was a lesser concern than its growing military might right now, which includes a huge build up of its naval capability.

For Pete's sake, learn some history for a change.  Don't just read the words in a book.  Try to understand what they mean.

1 minute ago, GG said:

No it is not. 

China has had nukes for decades and it was a lesser concern than its growing military might right now, which includes a huge build up of its naval capability.

For Pete's sake, learn some history for a change.  Don't just read the words in a book.  Try to understand what they mean.

Stop quoting him, please.  You're compelling me to respond to him.

7 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

You're a past-master of misunderstanding goal posts.  By your measure - which is truly asinine, since no one is annexing the Western Pacific with nuclear weapons - China is LESS of a threat than Japan was, because the relative strengths of what were considered "strategic" weapons in each era is wildly imbalanced to US favor.  

Your opinion rests on the idea that nuclear weapons are indistinguishably from magic, which is because you're an immature little child who understands nothing about warfare.

29 minutes ago, GG said:

No it is not. 

You're missing my point. 

China's growing military is my concern. 

My spat with Tom is over this being a unique threat. It's not like imperial Japan because nukes. The USSR would have been a better choice for Tom, but the USSR was very defensive in its military posture. I know this from several books in which I understood the words. So, it's my opinion that China is a unique threat. That can be debated. But it cannot be likened to Imperial Japan in my opinion. 

Also, I have a fantastic degree in history. I graduated ***** laude while running a business. So, many professors seem to have thought I read and understand pretty gooder.

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You're a past-master of misunderstanding goal posts.  By your measure - which is truly asinine, since no one is annexing the Western Pacific with nuclear weapons - China is LESS of a threat than Japan was, because the relative strengths of what were considered "strategic" weapons in each era is wildly imbalanced to US favor.  

Your opinion rests on the idea that nuclear weapons are indistinguishably from magic, which is because you're an immature little child who understands nothing about warfare.

Oh my god you're dumb. 

Imperial Japan was able to launch balloons filled with incendiary devices to try and start fires on the West coast during the war. China can nuke it. China is therefor a bigger threat now, than Imperial Japan was. It's measurable, and you're a non-combatant, and a dumbass.  

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Anecdotal, but very interesting read from an expat in Asia

(thread)

A more convenient and complete read of your wonderful post:

a day ago, 40 tweets, 6 min read Read on Twitter
Bookmark Save as PDF
Thread: An Asian View of the Hanoi Summit

1.  As an expat living in Asia, these are my thoughts on how Asians view Trump in the aftermath of the Hanoi summit.
2.   Much of this will probably be of a surprise to those in the United States, as is has been to me over the last couple years. CNN and the BBC completely pollute all Western news broadcasts over here, and people assume that those opinions are held by the locals here.
3.       Educated Asians aren’t watching that claptrap. There are other outlets in their home language, and they are much more positive on Trump and the US than back at home where the pollutant legacy news channels project their anti-Trump biases daily.
4.       What is also interesting is that most of the expats that I run into are Aussies, and I would say that about 80% of those I have spoken to love @POTUS
5.       European expats? Not so much. They usually claim they “are losing a friend” when referring to “Trump’s America.” The best response you can give to them is to reduce everything to the American taxpayer.
6.       Why is the American taxpayer on the hook for NATO? Or the UN? Why do you put tariffs on US products and services? It is then that the conversation usually takes a little more of a cordial tone. No one likes taxes. Imagine that!
7.       Let’s focus on Asians. I have traveled for business all over South-East Asia and have had the honor to speak with, and befriend, many from a lot of different countries as I am rather social. Trump is ALWAYS a curiosity to just about anyone with whom I interact!
8. First let me rank where I see Asian countries fall on a list of positivity towards the US, with the most positive being listed first:
·  Philippines
·   Korea (dramatic change in a year)
·  Vietnam
·  Cambodia
·  China
·  Singapore
·  Thailand
·  Malaysia
·  Indonesia
9.       I put Indonesia and Malaysia at the bottom because the US press falsely tried to claim a Muslim ban on those two countries. Having been to both recently, I have asked many Indonesians, and a few Malaysians, the following question:
9A. “Okay, if there is a Muslim immigration ban in effect in the US, then why aren’t YOU banned?” That generally results in a blank cow stare with no answers forthcoming.
10.    But this also shows how the media pollutants put a horrible spin on the United States – and a false one at that!
11.   Note: I don’t have an opinion on the Japanese, as I don’t interact with them much, so they didn’t make my list.
12.   Regarding Kim (KJU), it’s universal that they think he’s a lunatic. I haven’t heard a single Asian who believes he is stable. Now, maybe that is THEIR press creating a narrative, but the Koreans will tell you it’s the correct one, as they have felt threatened for >60 yrs.
13. One thing that is also universally held is this: how can ANYONE not want Trump to succeed in helping deliver the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula? Today, I showed a video to a Vietnamese friend of Jim Acosta basically looking gleeful that a deal had not been reached.
14.   Within about a nanosecond, my friend understood that Trump has a point. If you can’t universally agree on THAT, CNN obviously has an ominous agenda whereby dislike of the POTUS is WAY more important than other people’s lives.
15.   My friend was appalled that someone who was on CNN would conduct himself in that manner. In fact, he said he didn’t want to turn on CNN ever again. I told him he wouldn’t be missing much. Keep in mind this is THEIR lives that are in the balance.
16.   What do I believe that the average educated Asian citizen thinks? Here is a list of key points:
17.   His bluntness is a positive trait but is a two-edged sword. One part is sheer entertainment. As “observers,” they believe his directness creates chaotic fun. One example is “Little Rocket Man.” Most think that is very funny, and very few thought it would provoke KJU.
18.   On the positive side, that also put KJU in his place. They believe Trump is honest (stick that in your ear, CNN and MSNBC!!). They believe his image as a very decisive deal maker as an appealing trait.
19.   They believe he is truly trying to do the best for America.
20.   One Asian friend from Vietnam told me yesterday that his treatment of Vietnam and choosing to put them on the world stage was very welcome. He believes that a huge majority of Vietnam views him positively.
21.   He said he and his friends believe that having the United States actively engaging Vietnam and Asia in general on the world stage gives them a feeling of more stability.
22.   They truly believe he is a “winner,” sets lofty goals, and goes after them. They are surprised at the energy of a 70+ year old man.
23.   They believe his family is “beautiful” and shocked that no mags put them on covers. This is extremely prevalent among Chinese to whom I have spoken.
24. Remember, in the bigger cities of China (e.g., Shanghai and Beijing), there’s a LOT of Western influence. And yet the Trumps are nowhere to be seen.
25.   Moving on, no one believes that Obama was a stronger leader than Trump. Absolutely no one. They also believe, that the United States has “clearly” taken a hit in image on the world stage, but almost all blame a lot of it on the obviously biased media.
26.   One friend from Thailand who does business with the United States said he watched SOTU, and it solidified his opinion that the press is trying to create a caricature of a buffoon, which is completely contrary to the image portrayed in this man’s opinion.
27.   Many believed that because of trade issues, the US was creating animosity unnecessarily. But because the “trade war” didn’t end up making anyone feel that they were truly affected, they no longer believe that. It is now the “cost of doing business”. It WAS dicey for a while
28.   One frequent topic is the freedom of navigation in the South China Sea, which is essentially China vs everyone else’s opinion. I will leave that one alone although most appreciate the routine US naval presence there.
29.   One major issue here is China in general. I have yet to meet a single non-Chinese citizen who the likes Chinese presence in their country. NOT.ONE.SINGLE.PERSON.
30.   And the “Chinese infiltration” is everywhere. In 20 years, Cambodia will have more Chinese than Khmer. I truly believe that.
31.   So that being said, there is a lot of blame directed at China for not having a trade deal with the US. Everyone to whom I have spoken and everything I have read and seen in the local news conveys that China meddled in unfair trade practices. They hardly blame Trump AT ALL.
32.   In fact, it seems to be a mixture of China and KJU to blame. They do not believe that China cares about anyone but Chinese, and they still think KJU is a lunatic. And that is basically unanimous.
33.   Vietnamese seem to be comfortable with Chinese power, as their own economy is doing very well, and I don’t get the impression they think that is because of a dependency on China for trade purposes.
34.   Koreans love Trump. But let’s be honest; that should be obvious!
35.   Out of all these people, however, only my Filipino friends believe that the United States has more influence on them than China does.
36.   Since this summit was a sequel, and though neither has resulted in a deal, there was definitely a feeling expressed by many people of a paradigm shift in what was seen as a pretty contentious relationship with insults flying.
37.    However, they also believe that if there was a formal declaration to the world of the end to the Korean War, almost unanimously people believe it means nothing without denuclearization
38.    As a result, they believe Trump is correct to hold out for a complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, as well as to retain the sanctions leverage on North Korea until that happens.
39.   And they ALL still think KJU is crazy! That’s the perspective over here; you’ll not get these truths from the US media. //The end.

7 hours ago, Koko78 said:

That's disgusting. Funny, but disgusting.

You know there’s go to be someone in that org who’s known for making the “ best” ***** bombs. 

“Sacre’ Bleu...I can get at least an additional 4 meters of distance with these Francois’ made shitbombs....I wonder how he packs it?”

Or or they should find out Wormser is up to. He can design a shitbomb to go with the French limp wristed throwing style.

Edited by Kevbeau
  • Haha (+1) 1

U.S. puts financial institutions 'on notice' on Venezuela transactions: Bolton

</snip>

“The United States is putting foreign financial institutions on notice that they will face sanctions for being involved in facilitating illegitimate transactions that benefit Nicolas Maduro and his corrupt network,” Bolton said in a statement released by the White House.

• Like (+1) 2