"Spring Football League" launching in 2017

YoloinOhio

@SiriusXMNFL

BREAKING: The NFL will have a spring league starting in the spring of 2017, structured around four squads of veteran free agent players

The Spring League will conduct practices and six games from April 5 through April 26, 2017

That is a little too short of a season also need 8 teams but it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully in the future each team can have their own farm club in the area then we see how the kids are doing.

I think Syracuse would be a good spot.

A development league is worth another shot IMO. I will watch the games because by April I will be desperate for football.

Always liked NFL Europe but by the end it seemed like all the teams were in Germany and UK. What do you think was the downfall?

Why has the NFL waited this long? A spring league with the NFL's shield on it is needed on so many levels. From player development to just having some football to watch in the spring.

This.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me we'll get Manziel and Tebow

I'd imagine if either one plays in this league they could bring their teams to a title. I mean hell JP did it with Las Vegas in whatever damn league that was. XFL? UFL? I can't even remember and too lazy to google it.

NFL already has a built in farm system. Its called the NCAA.

The problem is the NCAA is predominately using spread offenses and not developing QBs to be NFL ready.

Well this crashed and burned nicely.

It's been discussed endlessly--the NFL has no interest in a "developmental league".

I'd imagine if either one plays in this league they could bring their teams to a title. I mean hell JP did it with Las Vegas in whatever damn league that was. XFL? UFL? I can't even remember and too lazy to google it.

The problem is the NCAA is predominately using spread offenses and not developing QBs to be NFL ready.

Still not true. Keep repeating though, maybe it will change to true?

we have enough football with NCAA, NFL, AFL and CFL. Everything else is overkill

Totally agree and I think the TV ratings debacle of 2016 supports that as well. It'd sure be nice though if a developmental league could be successful. For those guys right on the cusp of greatness. GO BILLS !!

NFL already has a built in farm system. Its called the NCAA.

Yeah the NCAA basically spends billions on their football programs every year........the NFL doesn't want to deal with that bill and then have to market a minor league product.

But a D-league in between the NCAA and the NFL levels would be nice.

The biggest downside of dropping NFL preseason games IMO is not getting to evaluate the young players.

If they had a short season D-league perhaps it could help fill that evaluation void and allow the NFL to go to zero preseason games and 18 regular season games.