Shaq Lawson - let's do this

Dragonborn10

Looks like a rookie with Zero offseason and very limited snaps that likely isn't in game shape yet.

But still has flashed enough to see why he was thought of as a top 10 talent that slipped because of INJ

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a lot of disagreement on Shaq Lawson the prospect. A few "scout" type guys that I follow of twitter, including Matt Waldman, who does a lot of nice video breakdowns, really disliked Shaq Lawson.

While he liked his overall power and stoutness against the run, he thought he was extremely slow, stiff, and many times the very last DL to react to the snap. He had some pictures of the entire Clemson DL already 1 or 2 steps out of their stance on the snap and Shaq would just be getting his hand out of the dirt. Also very slow, and no bend coming off the edge. Said you can find run stoppers in the 3rd and 4th round and really didn't understand the 1st round hype surrounding the guy. So far, I tend to agree with what his tape showed.

we have great scouts that graded him a first round pick or Rex was in love with him since he was Clemson guy

we have great scouts that graded him a first round pick or Rex was in love with him since he was Clemson guy

Based on his play so far it looks like the ladder. He was probably a frat brother with Rex's kid.

Worse than 2015 Mario but at least he is cheaper. Why we'd send Hughes to the bench right after sending him to the bank is puzzling.

For his long term development, I think Shaq needs to get down to that 260 mark. He was as high as 280 at Clemson and it showed, especially in the 4th quarter.

When you weigh in the lack of time in training camp and preseason, I think he's done about as expected. The transition isn't always easy from DE to OLB and I think he's second-guessing himself at times. Playing the run and setting the edge was rarely an issue in college but he's crashed too often this year. It's still a work in progress but I'm not any less of a Shaq Lawson fan from what I've seen.

He is a bit out of shape, but he did miss basically the whole offseason program and the first 8 weeks of the season. He's got some quickness to him and can shoot through an opening once he get the OL'man off balance. I think he will really begin to show well next year.

I actually think he looks pretty good for his experience level. I agree that he seems a bit fat and slow and inflexible, but I feel like looks are deceiving. He will chase guys down really well/-- faster than what he seems.

He has played with some really good hustle - but that isn't enough for a 1st round pick. I think people are expecting him to be some kind of quick twitch pass rusher and he isn't that, he is a guy who disrupts plays and gets to Quarterbacks by using his hands and getting past people. He has done that pretty well a fair few times... twice yesterday he had opportunities for sacks in the backfield and didn't quite get there. RGIII being mobile had some part of that but also Shaq does look heavier than he did playing at Clemson. I think a full NFL strength and conditioning programme in the offseason coupled with a full integration in the playbook he will start taking better advantage of those chances that he is creating and will be an excellent player for us.

I am not at all worried about him.

He needs to get in better NFL football shape, something a full offseason-camp should help with going forward.

all rookies go through that. he'll be a beast next year, so will Ragland. With any luck, Rex goes, Lynn stays and we get a more conventional 4-3 defense. Draft one of the great safeties coming out. Do not blow it up. We shall see.

For people who demand that we draft for need.........please flag this thread for future reference.

Shaq didn't resolve the pass rush issue.

Ragland didn't resolve the problem at MLB.

Injuries aside......this is USUALLY what happens when you draft for need.

You reach over better players on draft day.....feel rushed to start the early picks.....and when they can't get it done they look like busts.

If they hadn't gotten lucky with bargain FREE AGENTS.......like imagine Zach and Lorax playing LB like Bob Blanton played safety........ this would have been a personnel catastrophe on defense this year........a Rob Ryan Saints-esque type defense.

For people who demand that we draft for need.........please flag this thread for future reference.

You reach over better players on draft day.....feel rushed to start the early picks.....and when they can't get it done they look like busts.

If they hadn't gotten lucky with bargain FREE AGENTS.......like imagine Zach and Lorax playing LB like Bob Blanton played safety........ this would have been a personnel catastrophe on defense this year........a Rob Ryan Saints-esque type defense.

Yup. And against physical running teams, Z Brown does play like Blanton.

I still liked the picks because while they were "need" guys, they were also value picks to a point. Shaq was supposedly listed on our draft board as a top 10 talent. Ragland was the last guy we had a 1st round grade on. It worked that they were need players, but they also both project to be solid contributors.

I still maintain that Shaq was no a pick for need. I had him as the best player on the board and I still believe he will be a productive pass rusher for us. If he doesn't work out he doesn't work out - I still think he will - but if he doesn't it will be on the basis of poor talent evaluation not a reach for need in my opinion. I know you disagree Badol and that is fair enough - but I am a little curious as to who you thought the better players at premium positions were that were there and we could have picked?