New Chenelly Tweet - Coughlin an option

Reed83HOF

The only thing I buy in this is that this is a divided organization.

On Rex's side, he can point to the obvious: glaring, gaping holes at safety and the WR group.

On Whaley's: Rex hasn't gotten the production out of the D that even Pettine was able to, never mind Schwartz. Mario Williams quit on the team after less than a season with Rex, and vast resources have been poured in to try to right the ship and it still hasn't worked. Whaley got an extraordinary value in Kiko for Shady, struck gold with Darby, LorAx, Zach, Hughes and Ritchie, and got the pieces for the best rushing attack two years running.

But it still isn't enough.

I bet the knives are out. It's hard to tear it all down if they finish 9-7 but there is bad blood. FWIW, the last coach I remember being fired with a winning record was Lovie Smith from Chicago and neither side has done well since.

Pettine had Searcy, Williams, and Byrd as the top 3 safeties if I recall.

Also, let's review the players that you say Whaley "struck gold" on:

Darby: inconsistent; almost benched in year 2

LoRax: an over 30 journeyman who now needs a new contract because we were so sure he was going to be good that we signed him to a one year deal

Zach Brown: again, we were so sure of his talent that he was only signed to a one year deal and we will now have to overspend to keep him here

Hughes: I like jerry Hughes. This had been a great trade. It also happened when Buddy Nix was still the GM, BTW.

Incognito: I don't even think Whaley met with him in Miami. Pretty sure all the reports were that he met with Rex and then with ownership.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but I am not convinced Rex is getting fired. It's always reported that the Pegulas listen to the players (part of the reason Roman got axed), and since the reports of Rex getting canned have coe out a handful of players have publicly expressed that they think he should stay. I believe that will have some weight in the decision, so if its still being discussed, that could be the determining factor in whether he stays or goes.

Pettine had Searcy, Williams, and Byrd as the top 3 safeties if I recall.

Also, let's review the players that you say Whaley "struck gold" on:

Darby: inconsistent; almost benched in year 2

LoRax: an over 30 journeyman who now needs a new contract because we were so sure he was going to be good that we signed him to a one year deal

Zach Brown: again, we were so sure of his talent that he was only signed to a one year deal and we will now have to overspend to keep him here

Hughes: I like jerry Hughes. This had been a great trade. It also happened when Buddy Nix was still the GM, BTW.

Incognito: I don't even think Whaley met with him in Miami. Pretty sure all the reports were that he met with Rex and then with ownership.

Man, you really see Byrd and Searcy really lighting it up now, don't you? Right,they got horribly overpaid elsewhere. Searcy hasn't exactly lit it up with the Titans and Byrd has become the prime case for "this is why you don't pay out big for a safety" naysayers. Also, Byrd missed half the year you say was so amazing.

And then, they were miraculously better the next year without them.

I'll admit that Darby is having a down year. But he's getting very little help with safety play. If you want to indict Whaley for not doing enough to help the safety group, and he overly counted on AW getting through one more year I'm right there with you. But let's not make out Byrd and Searcy as horrific losses.

You want to say that Zack and LorAx are going to go elsewhere? Well, we have their replacements waiting I'm the wings. There is something to be said for having a nose to find journeymen who are motivated to outplay expectations and Whaley seems to have it.

Do you seriously believe that the GM had nothing to do with bringing Incognito in? Whaley struck first, and Ritchie has been our best lineman all season. And even if, by some miracle, the Pegula's brought him in without their GM, Whaley has made sure he is staying with a very reasonable deal.

The man has flaws. WR, S and QB looks messy right now. But let's not misrepresent things.

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but I am not convinced Rex is getting fired. It's always reported that the Pegulas listen to the players (part of the reason Roman got axed), and since the reports of Rex getting canned have coe out a handful of players have publicly expressed that they think he should stay. I believe that will have some weight in the decision, so if its still being discussed, that could be the determining factor in whether he stays or goes.

The Pegulas talk to a lot of people. They talk to the players. They talk to the personnel guys. They talk to the coaches. They undoubtedly talk to football people outside the organization. And they talk to fans though we probably have the least influence.

We don't know if there's a consensus growing among these different official & unofficial advisory groups that Rex needs to go. We do know that the Pegulas appreciate the importance of continuity. While I wouldn't be shocked if Rex was fired, right now I'm not convinced either.

Ok moron:

Man, you really see Byrd and Searcy really lighting it up now, don't you? Right,they got horribly overpaid elsewhere. Searcy hasn't exactly lit it up with the Titans and Byrd has become the prime case for "this is why you don't pay out big for a safety" naysayers. Also, Byrd missed half the year you say was so amazing.

And then, they were miraculously better the next year without them.

I'll admit that Darby is having a down year. But he's getting very little help with safety play. If you want to indict Whaley for not doing enough to help the safety group, and he overly counted on AW getting through one more year I'm right there with you. But let's not make out Byrd and Searcy as horrific losses.

You want to say that Zack and LorAx are going to go elsewhere? Well, we have their replacements waiting I'm the wings. There is something to be said for having a nose to find journeymen who are motivated to outplay expectations and Whaley seems to have it.

Do you seriously believe that the GM had nothing to do with bringing Incognito in? Whaley struck first, and Ritchie has been our best lineman all season. And even if, by some miracle, the Pegula's brought him in without their GM, Whaley has made sure he is staying with a very reasonable deal.

The man has flaws. WR, S and QB looks messy right now. But let's not misrepresent things.

Byrd is overpaid; absolutely. Searcy has a $6 mil/yr avg. Not overpaid. He's arguably been the Titans best player in the secondary. He also made plays here and was on the 2014 Schwartz D. I could care less about the fact that we let them go. I care that the players brought in to replace them were a 4th round total waste of a pick in Duke Williams and a converted CB in Graham.

Graham has been ok. But the depth behind these players is atrocious.

We are not getting good value out of the draft.

Duke Williams -4th round

Bryce Brown - 4th round

Traded a 4th in Watkins trade

Traded 2 4ths in Ragland trade

Ross cockrell - 4th round

I realize that the draft is an inexact science but thats alot of wasted value in the middle of the draft.

Good Guy yes. Good Defensive coordinator no. Having "good guys" around is why this organization has not sniffed the playoffs in going on 17 years.

I'm OK with Rex being fired at the end of the season. My point was regarding the rumor that he had already been informed by Pegula that he was going to be relieved. Either fire him now or bite your tongue until end of season.

I could see the Bills blowing it up big time, firing only Rex, or staying pat. They will explain away any of these scenarios which would appease some of the fans and ticking off the rest. I think the Bills organization as a whole lacks a focused plan thus mediocre results if not worse. Edited by DCbillsfan

• 2 weeks later...
@AACynicalCinema

@jchenelly So is Coughlin still the favorite besides Lynn?

Reply to @AACynicalCinema

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly

@AACynicalCinema They share the inside track, yes. But keep in mind 2 yrs ago they had their minds set before Rex changed them.

@AACynicalCinema
@jchenelly So is Coughlin still the favorite besides Lynn?
Reply to @AACynicalCinema
Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly
@AACynicalCinema They share the inside track, yes. But keep in mind 2 yrs ago they had their minds set before Rex changed them.

Set on who?

Or should I ask, set on Hue?