Be honest...who wants to lose to the Browns?

Dragonborn10

Not being the "1" on a 1-15 Browns record outweighs any draft pick / Rex getting fired considerations. I'm fine if they lose to the Dolphins and Jets (assuming things conspire to eliminate us from the playoffs completely at that point) but I can't stomach a loss to the Browns.

I still mock Redskins fans with "Hey, remember back in 1989 when you were the only team to lose to the 1-15 Cowboys?"

And it still hurts them. You don't want to be the "1" in "1-15."

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinking about Roethlisberger going one pick before us, Patrick Willis going one pick before us. So... HELL YES, draft position matters!

Not nearly as much as being able to judge or develop talent.

Dynasties never tell themselves "We haven't picked high in a while, we need to suck for three years to get some higher picks." And they're still dynasties. Yet perennially ****ty teams always pick high. Why do you think that is?

I just think it would be endlessly more entertaining if we were to lose. The roof would blow off the stadium, this board would crash. If we win, we beat a terrible team, meh.

That said, I'd rather win since mathematically it is not IMPOSSIBLE for us to make it to the playoffs. As soon as playoffs are not mathematically an option we're all just here for the sideshow.

I keep thinking about Roethlisberger going one pick before us, Patrick Willis going one pick before us. So... HELL YES, draft position matters!

I kind of have my heart set on a first round QB this year. So the higher the pick, the better.

Kuechly

Seriously, if we win, who is going to be celebrating like crazy? Who even cares if we win if the playoffs are out of the question. Oh and also, if Tyrod is playing this week it seems like they may not be firing Rex after all. Why else would they jeopardize next year's salary cap to save an ex-coach's ego?

Does anyone remember 2004? We went 9-7. Had a GREAT defense. Won 7 out of the last 9 or whatever it was. Demolished the Seahawks (a playoff team that year) in their own house. We had serious mojo going into 2015, but instead decided to "rebuild" and go with a 2nd year 1st round pick QB and let a lot of our vets go. How did that work out? It took 11years before we had another 9-7 season.

Jaguars did exactly what y'all wanna do 4 years ago. Got the high draft pick "franchise QB", new coach etc. How's that workin' out? The 0-13 Clowns have done it several times.

I suppose it works sometimes, but not very often.

I vote for winning out and trying to improve our team for another run next year.

Go BILLS!!!

Does anyone remember 2004? We went 9-7. Had a GREAT defense. Won 7 out of the last 9 or whatever it was. Demolished the Seahawks (a playoff team that year) in their own house. We had serious mojo going into 2015, but instead decided to "rebuild" and go with a 2nd year 1st round pick QB and let a lot of our vets go. How did that work out? It took 11years before we had another 9-7 season.

Jaguars did exactly what y'all wanna do 4 years ago. Got the high draft pick "franchise QB", new coach etc. How's that workin' out? The 0-13 Clowns have done it several times.

I vote for winning out and trying to improve our team for another run next year.

Go BILLS!!!

How do you improve the team with Rex as HC and DC?

Go BILLS!!!

Its all about the right management and organization. The right management, *hint, we do not have it right now*, will maximize the draft pick and the value.

I recall not too long ago, at times, the Broncos, Seahawks, Ravens, Raiders, Chiefs, Cowboys, Cardinals, Vikings, etc... all picked ahead of the Bills... and they pulled themselves out just fine.

As far as Sunday.... I don't really care. They aren't going to make the playoffs. I would rather they lose to be honest. It would be funny with the Dareus situation, draft pick position is very close, like 6 spots for 1 game... and a loss could inspire Pegula to hold a mirror to the entire organization.

I am not going to worry on any lost 'glory' of the Bills being Cleveland's only win in 2016. Nobody will care or remember anyways. This organization is devoid of glory to lose anyway, save a 5-7 year aberration.

In the NFL, it is fairly obvious that there are good organizations and bad ones. The Bills have always been a bad one, save those half dozen years, which was promptly destroyed by our owner. Pegula has chosen for continuity.

Edited by May Day 10

No matter what we're likely to have a top 20 pick. I believe that in the NFL that's good enough to pick up great talent if you have a capable GM. We've had plenty of top 10 busts over the playoff drought years, so it's not like picking at the top of the draft gets us instantly out of this mess. There are no sure things in the NFL. It's not like being the lucky guy that got to take credit for drafting Lebron James. Of course he turns the franchise around instantly. In the NFL that doesn't happen outside of the QB position imo. No defensive back,receiver,o linemen etc.. is going to come here and turn this thing around himself. We need a QB and people with a vision who can build a team. Our first round draft position isn't going to change that.

Yes, we are outside of the top 6 where potentially tanking has some value. Picks 7-17 depend on being smart and lucky, not just a better player always the higher you go.

And "we need to lose or they won't fire Rex" stuff is crazy. If the Pegula's think this season and a failure to reach the playoffs is any brighter because of some garbage time wins, and think Rex is the answer as a result, but would fire him at 6-10....the bad news is we are really screwed because that would mean they are horrible decision makers, and even if they fired Rex they wouldn't be ready to make the necessary decision to win.

We need to get a great coach for the 2017 NFL reality, period. Rex is not it. Marrone is not it. If the Pegulas don't already realize this we are in more serious trouble than I imagined.

If it means Ryan gets fired sooner rather than later and Jones gets a chance to play and gain some experience, lose to the Browns. The other plus is higher draft picks.

Why do you want Jones to "play and gain some experience"?

This isn't Dax (picked three picks before Jones). This is a guy who in a preseason and 15 weeks of the season, couldn't skip over EJ on the depth chart? Maybe that is just a failure of Rex to recognize it, but you have to think there is a reason Jones is still #3 and usually inactive for our games, and that getting reps with the #2s is probably going to be more helpful a stepping stone, rather than face the Fish and Jets first (forget the Browns...I'm sure he would be fine).

If it means Ryan gets fired sooner rather than later and Jones gets a chance to play and gain some experience, lose to the Browns. The other plus is higher draft picks.

You're dreaming if you think there's a snowball's chance in Miami Rex starts Jones vs the Jets at the Swamplands. Also if you think Rex is going to get fired with only 2 games left.

Not nearly as much as being able to judge or develop talent.

Dynasties never tell themselves "We haven't picked high in a while, we need to suck for three years to get some higher picks." And they're still dynasties. Yet perennially ****ty teams always pick high. Why do you think that is?

You are right. It's not even close. Being able to identify, judge and/or develop talent are the most important things. If you can do that, it doesn't really matter where you pick in the draft. Losing intentionally for draft picks is freaking lame.

And that is why I hope Whaley stays employed in Buffalo. I think he is way above average at recognizing talent. If he stays on as GM long enough, I am confident he will build a rock star roster that is talented enough to win a Superbowl.

At least we already have a guy who can identify talent. Now if only we had one who could develop players.