Be honest...who wants to lose to the Browns?

Dragonborn10

Every team in the nfl has the occasional good game, even the browns in a loss. Picking out one good game from taylor and the bills offense is therefore pretty meaningless. Look at the overall body of work. The Bills defense has been bottom third 2 years running (using FO's metric) despite the money invested there. And it's not all Rex's fault. Some of those guys are JAGs.

Well, I completely disagree. :)

Rex murdered a top 4 defense he inherited. The talent is on par with any team in the NFL. But we have a crappy head coach and a qb who can't throw. Those are giant problems.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While they did play well at times, like most of our teams who were on the cusp, they wilted in big games...

Like GB when they beat Aaron Rodgers without an offensive td? Or when they stopped Peyton Manning td streak on the road and Orton was a complete kitty cat?

I love the revisionist history on the 2014 defense. It was an amazing group that carried a terrible offense and should have been in the playoffs.

Like GB when they beat Aaron Rodgers without an offensive td? Or when they stopped Peyton Manning td streak on the road and Orton was a complete kitty cat?

I love the revisionist history on the 2014 defense. It was an amazing group that carried a terrible offense and should have been in the playoffs.

The offense was awful, although not at all on Orton. The D blew it in Oak was where I was going with that....

btw I wanted us to hire Schwartz as HC at the end of the season...

The offense was awful, although not at all on Orton. The D blew it in Oak was where I was going with that....

After the offense went 3 and out all day.

And I do think Schwartz would have been a good choice too. At least you kept the strength of the team together.

I honestly feel if this was any other team they would be playing Cardale.

But with Ryan about to be fired and it being the Browns Ryan knows if he loses this game his rep will take quite possibly a fatal hit that will affect him long term.

I'm sure he demanded if not just for this game to start Taylor so that if they do lose he'll know at least he did it with the QB who gave him the best chance to win

Edited by dezertbill

I knew the Browns were bad, but wow are they BAD.

i tried to tell ya'll. There is zero evidence that the "plan" is going to work either because the rookies are meh and still no QB. They refuse to take advantage of how bad they've been because they keep passing on the blue chip players at the top of he draft and accumulating picks with which they don't take the right guys. And they let their franchise center and RT walk, even though they had about 100 mill in cap space, which has gotten all 6 QBs they rolled out there killed this year. But for some reason hang on to Joe Thomas, for which they could get actual assets. There really doesn't seem to be much of a plan, at all. At least build up the OL so you can give the QB a chance. Instead they stripped it down. Makes no sense. Edited by YoloinOhio

Don't fall for the straw-man. No one said the 2014 defense was bad. No one said Schwartz's D wasn't better than Rex's.

On the other hand, arguing that Schwartz's D would continue to be right at the top—what? forever?—is impossible to support conjecture.

I think the D probably wouldn't have slipped as much as it did, but I do think it would've slipped. An out-of-gas Mario Williams wasn't going to be the motor to make that train go much farther.

i tried to tell ya'll. There is zero evidence that the "plan" is going to work either because the rookies are meh and still no QB. They refuse to take advantage of how bad they've been because they keep passing on the blue chip players at the top of he draft and accumulating picks with which they don't take the right guys. And they let their franchise center and RT walk, even though they had about 100 mill in cap space, which has gotten all 6 QBs they rolled out there killed this year. But for some reason hang on to Joe Thomas, for which they could get actual assets. There really doesn't seem to be much of a plan, at all. At least build up the OL so you can give the QB a chance. Instead they stripped it down. Makes no sense.

Wow. What a horrible team! One of the least competitive teams I've ever seen.

Wow. What a horrible team! One of the least competitive teams I've ever seen.

they never just take the player in front of them. They paid an outside consultant hundreds of thousands of dollars to tell them which QB to take in 2014 and they were told to take Bridgewater. They took Manzeil because a homeless guy told them to. Instead of Sammy Watkins they got Justin Gilbert and Cam Erving, both have been terrible. They are always at the top of the draft and say "nah, we're good" when elite players are staring at them at the top of the rounds. They have non-football guys in the FO and a clueless, hillbilly owner who tries to be Jerry Jones with getting involved in every little thing. Who knows what they will do with this next round of picks.

Example--

Browns' entire 2016 draft class:

-- 56 receptions, 709 yards, 4 TDs

-- 7 sacks

Michael Thomas: 76 catches, 883 yards, 8 TDs

Joey Bosa: 7.5 sacks

Could have just stayed where they were and had both.

Edited by YoloinOhio

they never just take the player in front of them. They paid an outside consultant hundreds of thousands of dollars to tell them which QB to take in 2014 and they were told to take Bridgewater. They took Manzeil because a homeless guy told them to. Instead of Sammy Watkins they got Justin Gilbert and Cam Erving, both have been terrible. They are always at the top of the draft and say "nah, we're good" when elite players are staring at them at the top of the rounds. They have non-football guys in the FO and a clueless, hillbilly owner who tries to be Jerry Jones with getting involved in every little thing. Who knows what they will do with this next round of picks.

Example--

Browns' entire 2016 draft class:

-- 56 receptions, 709 yards, 4 TDs

-- 7 sacks

Michael Thomas: 76 catches, 883 yards, 8 TDs

Joey Bosa: 7.5 sacks

Could have just stayed where they were and had both.

In fairness, Coleman got hurt and they played 12 qbs. I think Coleman is going to be a good player for them. But Brees is steroids for WRs.

In fairness, Coleman got hurt and they played 12 qbs. I think Coleman is going to be a good player for them. But Brees is steroids for WRs.

Bosa was out 4 games too. Guys get hurt. Their rookie class was mediocre. They drafted 5 (!) WRs this year and Thomas out-produced all 5. That's just poor value. Their QBs all got hurt because they failed to adequately put an OL on the field. It's their own fault. Gotta get more if you draft #2... Edited by YoloinOhio

Don't fall for the straw-man. No one said the 2014 defense was bad. No one said Schwartz's D wasn't better than Rex's.

On the other hand, arguing that Schwartz's D would continue to be right at the top—what? forever?—is impossible to support conjecture.

I think the D probably wouldn't have slipped as much as it did, but I do think it would've slipped. An out-of-gas Mario Williams wasn't going to be the motor to make that train go much farther.

Oh it definitely would have slipped, as we all saw with Mario this season. What I actually like out of Schwartz's D is that it is easier to find players talent-wise and allows the players to go out there and make plays. I also liked the continuity aspect of it for the players (the Defensive players loved him - Kyle especially), as well as the fact that our last 2 drafts may have gone much differently...

The revisionist history that it was this dominate defense that shut everyone down, is not necessarily true. The team still folded during crunch time when you are faced with win and in type playoff implications...

Bosa was out 4 games too. Guys get hurt. Their rookie class was mediocre. Their QBs all got hurt because they failed to adequately put an OL on the field. It's their own fault. Gotta get more if you draft #2...

They are the perfectly defined dysfunctional franchise that lacks a cohesive vision and talent in key front office positions. I feel bad for Hue Jackson and Ray Horton actually...

Nobody said it was dominant.

It was very good. When were there win and in type of implications? The made Aaron Rodgers look like Trent Edwards during his MVP like season.

The decision to let him walk was a mistake as we have witnessed.

I shouldn't have said win and in, but beating the Raiders allowed us to control our own destiny IIRC...

Mistake or not, what is done is done....