In defense of Rex....

Webster Guy

I think Rex should stay another season here's 5 reasons why:

1. Our defense did not get rolled these past few games because of coaching. We simply could not execute on the field. Bell was running through an 8 man front all day, what the hell do you expect the DC to do when his team can't tackle? Or what about the Jets, Raiders games when our cb's WITH safety help still can't physically cover their guys? Is a new head coach supposed to fix their technique?

2. We don't have a franchise qb. Look at the good playoff teams, they all have one. We took the best guy Whaley could find for Rex and surrounded him with a pretty good Oline and 2 great RB's but he didn't pan out. Not the head coaches fault. If you believe TT is not the answer, how can you possibly expect the coach to consistently win in this league with him at qb?

3. Making the change from Roman to Lynn took a lot of balls and showed me that Rex isn't afraid to

admit he was wrong and make a bold change at the top to better his team. This offseason Lynn can install his own system and get even better.

4. This is just a hunch, but I think Kyle Williams retires if we get another HC. The guy still is a force and we need him on this team, but at this point he's set for life financially, his family lives in the south, and there's a lot of wear and tear on the guy. If anyone could sell him on one more season it would be Rex, not some new guy who is going to "fix" everything with another new system.

5. I think Rex's history is decent considering he's had a bunch of .500 or better seasons with never having a franchise qb. Can you name any other coaches that played in a division with a perennially dominant team like the Pats that had playoff success without a top 10 qb? If you can't, then what do you really expect a new guy is going to do here that all the previous head coaches failed to do?

I think Pegula understands that a good year for a coach without a stud qb in this league is around .500 and he keeps Rex here for another season at least.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Our defense did not get rolled these past few games because of coaching. We simply could not execute on the field. Bell was running through an 8 man front all day, what the hell do you expect the DC to do when his team can't tackle? Or what about the Jets, Raiders games when our cb's WITH safety help still can't physically cover their guys? Is a new head coach supposed to fix their technique?

Rex inherited a great defense. He then proceeded to and make it worse - a lot worse. And yet, defense is supposed to be his strong suit?

3. Making the change from Roman to Lynn took a lot of balls and showed me that Rex isn't afraid to
admit he was wrong and make a bold change at the top to better his team. This offseason Lynn can install his own system and get even better.

If Rex was honest and willing to change when he is wrong, then he would have re-implemented the defense that was proven to work much much better with this personnel.

Rex is the type of coach that wants to make the players fit his system. That is not the kind of coach you want. You want a guy who creates a system to best use the players he has. If he was truly that good of a coach then he would have realized that Schwartz's defense was superior and he would have copied it.

Rex inherited a great defense. He then proceeded to and make it worse - a lot worse. And yet, defense is supposed to be his strong suit?

If Rex was honest and willing to change when he is wrong, then he would have re-implemented the defense that was proven to work much much better with this personnel.

Rex is the type of coach that wants to make the players fit his system. That is not the kind of coach you want. You want a guy who creates a system to best use the players he has. If he was truly that good of a coach then he would have realized that Schwartz's defense was superior and he would have copied it.

Outstanding rebuttal

I agree. The ones who ruined this defense are mario williams and his year long temper tantrum(which rex got 12 sacks out that same position this yr with alexander and lawson. Sign of a good coach), Dareus' repeated suspensions and aaron williams seemingly career ending injury that has lasted the better bart of 2 seasons. Add that too a QB that cant stay on the feild and there isnt much the coach can do. That ships gonna sink no matter what.

2. We don't have a franchise qb. Look at the good playoff teams, they all have one. We took the best guy Whaley could find for Rex and surrounded him with a pretty good Oline and 2 great RB's but he didn't pan out. Not the head coaches fault. If you believe TT is not the answer, how can you possibly expect the coach to consistently win in this league with him at qb?

4. This is just a hunch, but I think Kyle Williams retires if we get another HC. The guy still is a force and we need him on this team, but at this point he's set for life financially, his family lives in the south, and there's a lot of wear and tear on the guy. If anyone could sell him on one more season it would be Rex, not some new guy who is going to "fix" everything with another new system.

5. I think Rex's history is decent considering he's had a bunch of .500 or better seasons with never having a franchise qb. Can you name any other coaches that played in a division with a perennially dominant team like the Pats that had playoff success without a top 10 qb? If you can't, then what do you really expect a new guy is going to do here that all the previous head coaches failed to do?

I think Pegula understands that a good year for a coach without a stud qb in this league is around .500 and he keeps Rex here for another season at least.

Rex fired the best DB coach the Bills have ever had to replace him with cronies.

He's terrible dude. #4 to #19 to #18. He was hired to run a strong defense and can't.

#1) totally wrong as the Bills defense focused on stopping Big Ben and the Steelers passing game while never changed their defensive scheme. Just by playing a two-gap more the Bills D could have done so much better against Bell and should have considering the weather conditions. This year's defense is now currently ranked 18th and 28th against the run.

Complete and utter coaching failure!

#2) Rex Ryan would argue with you as he thinks Tyrod is the man for the job as the Buffalo Bills starting QB and when Tyrod is on and the run game is working the Buffalo offense is tough to stop.

#3) new Bills OC Anthony Lynn has had some games just like Greg Roman did in the first two weeks and since there isn't another viable OC waiting in the wings the team stays the same. IMO Lynn has made some rather bad calls in different situations, Take that Raider game for example as the Bills had the ball on their own 4-yard line so Tyrod is in his own end zone as Lynn calls a shotgun pass play. This, knowing that RT Mills in a turnstile and Khalil Mack has been getting beaten like a drum! Should have given Mills some help with Mack and should have never called a pass play in that situation as 99% of other NFL team would call a run to give the Bills offense some breathing room.

There have been several games since Lynn took over that the run game faltered and Lynn had no answer to get the offense going but put it all on the QB.

This!

I really don't want to defend Rex here, but you have to admit the season is playing out like we assumed it would all along. We beat the teams we should have beaten based on this season's records and lost to the teams almost all of which will make the playoffs. While expectations were high after the 4 game winning streak, all of those teams have subsequently turned out to be losers this year. All I'm saying is we got what we expected all along. Injuries (and suspensions) happen every year. Last year it was McCoy and Kyle this year Sammie and Marcel. Until we get a QB who can rally us, we are doomed to losing close games to really talented teams. Changing the coaching may not be the answer as we have learned from our past mistakes. Since Wade Phillips left, Rex is the only coach who approaches the .500 level. If he finishes 9-7 or 8-8 he probably met both ours and the Pegula's reasonable expectations. Changes will be made, but I'm not sure head coach is necessary.

#1) totally wrong as the Bills defense focused on stopping Big Ben and the Steelers passing game while never changed their defensive scheme. Just by playing a two-gap more the Bills D could have done so much better against Bell and should have considering the weather conditions. This year's defense is now currently ranked 18th and 28th against the run. ...

This coming from the same guy who has crusaded against Ryan's use of two-gap schemes so much in the past?

I believe the weather conditions favored the offense as slippery fields often do, but when you look at the tape, see how disinterested our players were when it came to sticking their noses in there to make a play. And then contrast that with the enthusiasm shown by the Steelers' D, especially Shazier, who couldn't wait to make a play. For example, Zach Brown's level of commitment was thoroughly exposed.

I frankly feel lied to

Rex Ryan didnt get hired because he was this awesome HC (in my opinion) he was hired because he is supposed to be this defensive guru and the staple of our team was a strong defense. BOTH Pettine AND Schwartz have done more with it.

But anyway...that is why I think he was hired....he has very little to do with the offensive side of the ball......but he dominates the D side of it and once again we are the bottom quarter of the league in D even though

- The majority of our money goes the D side of the ball

- The majority of our draft picks have been put towards the D side of the ball

If this was just a Number 10 D in the league we are not sitting in the postiion we are right now.......even with how poorly Tyrod is playing and the injuries on the O side of the ball...why? because the O is in fact scoring points.

We literally need to score 25 or more points in order to have a chance to win games....that was NEVER the plan

I think the players showed what they want. They voted with their play on Sunday, when a win could have made the playoffs a reasonable possibility. They mailed it in whenever there was physical contact to be made. Right on the first drive, Steelers 3rd down, Big Ben throws a short pass to Bell, who's bottled up. NONE of the defenders ran up and made a tackle. Instead, after a while, Bell just ran around the pile and gained 32 yards. Play after play, the D just wouldn't hit. If they could make an athletic play, well OK let's catch that interception. But physical, tough football? No, thanks. All I can say is that this is like the players on a team running up a huge flag that says "please fire this HC yesterday" and everyone on the team knows it.

I think the players showed what they want. They voted with their play on Sunday, when a win could have made the playoffs a reasonable possibility. They mailed it in whenever there was physical contact to be made. Right on the first drive, Steelers 3rd down, Big Ben throws a short pass to Bell, who's bottled up. NONE of the defenders ran up and made a tackle. Instead, after a while, Bell just ran around the pile and gained 32 yards. Play after play, the D just wouldn't hit. If they could make an athletic play, well OK let's catch that interception. But physical, tough football? No, thanks. All I can say is that this is like the players on a team running up a huge flag that says "please fire this HC yesterday" and everyone on the team knows it.

All true, unfortunately.

[quote name="PolishDave" post="4162262" timestamp="1481651876

Nothing wrong with trying implement your system as long as you bring players in who can do that. My best example is BB he changed the D and brought over players from the Jets that he liked (who were obviously FA) it took a couple years but by year 2 they were SB champion caliber D

Ryan coaches a complex defensive system. The decision makers assumed that our players would be able to transition well. They did not.

His nickel and dime defenses usually require 2 very good, instinctual safeties of which we have none. He regularly would play a 3 safety look on passing downs.

We were built as a 43 team. Even Mike Pettine played us mostly in a 43 Under front.

Also LB talent matters. They have gotten great production out of Zach Brown and Alexander, two veteran journeyman. IMO that's a credit to Ryan and the defensive staff. But we do not have a great talent at that position.

Safety play has been abysmal, as has any attempt to bring in talent at that position. In fact, they have brought in no one of real consequence at this position since Ryan was hired.

I think there are better HCs, but I don't think he his holding down our defensive talent.

1. Wrong. HC is accountable for performance on the field.

2. Houston, Denver, KC, Dallas

3. Offense has been near top 10 in scoring. It took balls to make that or the game manager QB you want the scapegoat Wrecks...

4. Keeping one guy around isn't even close to a good reason, and why is that even considered true?

5. No .500 perennially isn't acceptable. There are winning teams without stud QBs and stud QBs without winning teams.

Sure pegula might defer the inevitable another season because the tickets still seem to sell. But the jets figured it out, the Ravens Figured it out, and it seems like Miami and Atlanta smelled it too.

This guy belongs on TV not head coaching in the NFL.

He's a disorganized bumbling, happy go lucky dolt who rode daddy's coat tails to a personal fortune. So good for him, but someone can his arse already so I can enjoy watching football again.