Current NFL QB's the Bills Should take a Look At

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Yeah but that's asking alot. In a thread last week, one of our resident TT haters posted that any rookie can pass for 166 yards, and he's probably right. But I doubt a rookie would have the same TD to int % that TT has of over three and add 1/2 TD per game running the ball, and getting many first downs with his legs as he does. Do you really want those things in a QB, ideally you want the arm, but light it or not those attributes do make up for some of the down side of TT in that he has little accuracy.

But unless you find someone better, I'd stick with him, and while I would prefer getting someone better, that's much easier said than done.

As to Fitz, I think he's a smarter QB as far as knowing what to do, but has a weak arm and also not very accurate. His biggest asset is his brain which Chan Gailey can take advantage of but not so sure another OC would be able to.

I'll throw one more name out, while I hate the guy, Kap has the same running abilities that TT has and WAS a better passer, not great by any means but better than TT, at least three years ago.

With this running game, the Bills can win with an "adequate" QB. But said QB must be ACCURATE and not TURN THE BALL OVER. Derek Carr is those things with the Raiders. When he was pressured and didn't have anywhere to go with the football he threw it at the feet of WRs or out of bounds. When WRs got open, he hit them. This is what make the great ones great, accuracy!! Brady, Brees, Montana, Kelly, all were/are accurate as hell.

Bloke, you know your college football. Who is the most accurate passer coming out of college that has an NFL caliber arm?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not. He just doesn't look that good to me. He's an average passer and if you put heat on him, he folds up. On another note, Matt Cassell looked really good in NE when he he got fill in duty in 2008.

Where do we get that?

I have a few names on my list. I don't think they are FAs but maybe we could trade.

1. AJ McCarron - the essence of accuracy at Alabama. Also throws a nice long football. He played pretty well in relief last year. Next year will be his third year in NFL. Should put him ahead of rookies.

2. Nick Foles - Nick had a really good year with a good running team and not asking him to do too much. Sort of like why we have. I know he didn't do as well the next year, but maybe they were asking him to do too much?

3. Someone mentioned that Alex Smith might be available. I don't see that happening, but if it does, back up the Brinks Truck and Whaley, get er done.

Alex Smith would be awful here. He's a complimentary type of player who needs the perfect team around him. If Rex had the type of defense he claimed he'd have then a guy like Smith would be perfect. Smith wouldn't win many games here with Rex and Rob's keep em under 40 points defense. I'm not a fan of any backup QB's either. Not many backups have gone on to successful NFL careers. Far more have signed big contracts only to disappoint. Most franchise QBs are found in the draft. Let's try to get that method right for once.

Let's hear your reasoning. Do you want to stick with Tyrod? Are there any other QB's that you would like to bring in that you think the Bills could get? Do you want to let Tyrod walk and go with Cardale and draft picks? If you have anything to add I am glad to hear it, but if you want to just say uh, no like these suggestions are completely ridiculous than I am afraid you are going to need to elaborate.

This reminds of a thread a couple of years ago where I said the Bills should look at Prescott and I can't remember who, but someone on this board railed on how Prescott was terrible and would never be an NFL QB.

I had the same conclusion about Prescott. In fact, I think I had a thread that said, In the 4th the Bills take Dak Prescott. The same guy must've trashed me too. However, Prescott excelling in Dallas doesn't mean he would have done the same here. For the record, I was also lobbying for us to take Russell Wilson in the 3rd round back then.

I actually think Cutler might be worth a look. This is the island of misfit toys. He has had a rough time in Chicago, but that is a brutal place to try an be a quarterback. Big arm. chip on shoulder. worth a look.

The list isn't long and they are guys that are probably long shots, but if we are going to let Tyrod walk I would like to get a veteran and draft at least 1 QB on day one or two this season. These are the guys I would take a look at:

1. Brett Hundley

I always like guys that started 3 or more years in college and at one point were projected to go in the first 3 rounds but may have dropped for some reason. Dak Prescott and Krik Cousins would fall into this category and Brett Hundley would as well. Hundley has some tools and was absolutely fabulous during the pre-season last year. I know pre-season means nothing about the overall team, but you can identify players to be better than expected during training camp and pre-season. Russell Wilson and Prescott showed the signs of being great in pre-season. I think we should definitely kick the tires on Hundley and he might be a guy to give a shot.

2. Chase Daniel

I don't think Daniel is going to light it up, but do sort of think we can somewhat of an Alex Smith. I don't need my QB to throw bombs and lead the league in rushing for a QB if he can't do a 3 step drop and hit a slant. Daniel can at least do that. I wouldn't expect Daniel to be great but I think he could be adequate to fill in for 2-3 years while we search for a QB in the draft.

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick

Did you just throw up? No, good! I know this seems unrealistic but if we let Tyrod walk, this would not be a bad option. We have a much better roster than we had with Fitz when he was here before. I think with the running game we have, Fitz can manage the game well enough to have a more balanced team. This would prevent the 3 straight 3 and out situations followed up by a turnover on the 1st down of the next drive. Taylor and make some beautiful plays and beautiful drives, but to win consistently you need to have a consistent offense throughout the game that doesn't frequently gone on stretches where they can't get a first down. Also he should be a total bargain. I could see him signing here for $8-9 million per over two seasons. Then we can try to identify 2 or 3 QB's to draft during that time frame while stacking the rest of the roster with the money you are saving. I think Fitz would give us a better chance than Tyrod would to end the streak.

you just lost all credibility

Depends what we are looking for. I have already floated some names of guys who I think they could consider if they just want someone to keep them ticking over for a year because they don't want to pay Tyrod middling starter money for bottom end of the league play. Hoyer would be top of my list there and I'd consider Mike Glennon and Nick Foles (if released) as well. None of those are future franchise Quarterbacks but they would be capable of helping the Bills be right around .500 again next year at a cheap price while they keep looking at the draft for a long term option.

If what they want to take a chance on a guy with high upside who might be the future then my two preferences would be:

1. Draft Deshaun Watson if he is still on the board.

2. Give Cardale a shot and see what he has (whilst spending as much time and resource as possible identifying a Quarterback in the 2018 draft). If he flames out you might end up with a very early pick in 2018.

I don't really see someone else's backup out there that I like enough as a potential franchise level starter to take a shot on giving up resource in a trade. Garoppolo would only interest me if you are making a coaching change and bringing McDaniels in as Head Coach (then I see a system knowledge benefit).

Yea, you are a genius. Please stop trying to act like you have some superior football knowledge. You really have no idea how good Hundley would be if he got a shot to be a starter. But you know that it is more likely that he will not be good based off the odds and you are just going with the consensus.

I wanted them to draft Hundley out of UCLA. I thought he had some potential. It is worth a shot if the price is right. Fitz & Daniels I would probably have to pass. The other 2 options are to keep Taylor & continue to groom Jones & draft another QB this spring or try to somehow pry Romo away from the Cowboys & cut ties with Taylor & continue to groom Jones possibly draft another Qb in this upcoming draft. None of the option are that enticing, but we have to chose one of them. & I have no confidence the morons at one bills drive can properly identify a decent QB.

Would someone with scouting knowledge let me know the pro potential of Nick Mullens of Southern Miss. He's thrown for over 11,000 yards and 85 td's. I've watched him really progress the last 4 years. He really took off last year under Todd Monken who left to become Tampa Bay's OC. Mullins is 6"1' and 200 and can run a little. Not a huge arm but extremely accurate. I think he could be a good pro but I might be a homer.

Chase Daniel isn't even a free agent; he's making $7/year with Philly for 3 years to be their backup, and would cost him all of that $7 mil next year in dead cap if they cut him. He'll be an Eagle. Hundley is also not a FA, and would require us to make a trade to get him.

The issue is the entire FA pool is a **** show:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Cousins is not going to be a FA, might as well scratch him off the list. The Cowboys might not give Romo up either given it would cause some ridiculously huge dead cap figure.

We're basically locked into a high QB pick no matter what at this point.

Thanks for the post and the link. All of these guys will either be 1. resigned by their teams bc they are good or 2. won't deliver more wins than TT . So the main reason to go after one of these leftovers is to save $$$. Not sure that's a good reason. Just go with EJ and Cardale Jones if you want to save $$. My sense if we keep TT due to no other options other than the draft. Otherwise, you are starting over. I don't see Pegs blowing it up if they go 9-7 or better.

I'm ok with Fitz if we have a strong run game and a strong defense. But if we have those, we might as well stick with Tyrod. I don't want to depend on either QB to win us the game. Fitz is too turnover prone, and Tyrod is too hesitant to take chances.

I'm ok with Fitz if we have a strong run game and a strong defense. But if we have those, we might as well stick with Tyrod. I don't want to depend on either QB to win us the game. Fitz is too turnover prone, and Tyrod is too hesitant to take chances.

Fitz: that ship has sailed. I actually doubt anyone picks him up next year. But here's a hypothetical: assume we had gone the traditional way of bringing in someone's backup who performed reasonably well in short stints (the Matt Moore type) or a failed or aging ex starter (we did with Kolb and Cassell and Orton, but that's no fun ... let's say a Nick Foles or a Colt McCoy). Would we be better off right now? Worse off? Roughly the same?

fitz throws in coverage with a speed and accuracy of a whiffle ball.

how about Draft one , Work with jones, and sign two Glennon and pick your poison , one of the not good enough to start guys that bang around the league like a hoyer.

May the best man win. I do not thing the results would be worse then we have seen.

on the qb subject , If we can afford a roster spot for two kickers , at least most of the time. Why not keep 4 qbs 2 that you spend time developing. I would always have one on the practice squad as well. Why not have a couple of coaches assigned just to work with the developmental qbs. A qb boot camp. This all they do . when the team practices the qbs go to boot camp . When its film time they are in the room Qb is really the only position that matters why not put max resources in to it.

Or I could be completely wrong

Thanks for the post and the link. All of these guys will either be 1. resigned by their teams bc they are good or 2. won't deliver more wins than TT . So the main reason to go after one of these leftovers is to save $$$. Not sure that's a good reason. Just go with EJ and Cardale Jones if you want to save $$. My sense if we keep TT due to no other options other than the draft. Otherwise, you are starting over. I don't see Pegs blowing it up if they go 9-7 or better.

You make a lot of sense but my guess is the great car salesman known as Russ Brandon would have a tough time selling that flavor of koolaide to the fans in the offseason to pump up ticket sales.