Clay inactive for game due to birth of child (updated)

YoloinOhio

As unfortunate as this timing may be, I'm glad he chose to remain home.

That being said, it still sucks for the team

this team just finds a way to handicap itself on a weekly basis.. good for him, but geez, could this team be more snake bit..

looking more and more like we'll be cashing this season it at 7 30pm today.. all the "17 and counting" talk will start today

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this team just finds a way to handicap itself on a weekly basis.. good for him, but geez, could this team be more snake bit..

looking more and more like we'll be cashing this season it at 7 30pm today.. all the "17 and counting" talk will start today

The Bills CAN beat the Raiders with or without Charles Clay. The blueprint is there, and in all honesty, it favors the Bills. Kansas City did EXACTLY what the Bills try to do to every opponent against the Raiders in week 6 and it worked like a charm.

KC rushed for 183 yards on 37 attempts and passed for 223 yards on 23 attempts while holding the ball for nearly 37 minutes. Oakland scored only 10 points. Granted, there was no Latavius Murray that week, but it can be done with him I'm the lineup as well.

A prolific offense can't score if it's not on the field.

The 17 and counting talk was guaranteed after the Dolphins loss

This is basically a playoff game.

Totally agree with this.

Football doesn't have a 164 game season like baseball, or season's like hockey where not only do they play a lot of games, but half the teams get into the playoffs.

A football game is worth 10 baseball games in a season.

Today is a make or break game. For the money he's being paid, he's gotta be there.

Exactly. Load her up on the vitamin P and yank that little Clay soldier outta there already.

By the way, did anyone ever think about how nice and smooth a scheduled C-section would have gone for everyone involved here. Certainly nicer on the baby, my daughter barely knew she was born. Great way to enter the world and if it helps us beat Oakland, well.......

my wife would have it no other way for # 2 after a 24-hour labor with #1...knew the birthdate of #2 i think a good month before !

That being said, i can see how others would be agaisnt...if he misses the game he misses the game.

Last 5 game he has 85 yards....not average...TOTAL..

Edited by plenzmd1

Clay is doing the right thing. To those of you that think he won't be missed you're wrong. His blocking at the TE position is elite. Also, he gets open. It's not his fault his QB doesn't throw it to him.

You gotta feel bad for Whaley and Rex, though. Especially Whaley. Our medical room always stays full and now this. Must be hard fielding a team week in and week out around here. One guy comes back and we lose 2 or 3 more.

Clay is doing the right thing. To those of you that think he won't be missed you're wrong. His blocking at the TE position is elite. Also, he gets open. It's not his fault his QB doesn't throw it to him.

You gotta feel bad for Whaley and Rex, though. Especially Whaley. Our medical room always stays full and now this. Must be hard fielding a team week in and week out around here. One guy comes back and we lose 2 or 3 more.

excellent point on the blocking, but Nick has improved in that significantly from last year. Problem is two tight end sets

That's great, that "you" don't have a problem with it. You're not compensating the players and you can't compare a "normal" job to a professional athlete's. I'd be careful before labeling a profession as a "horrible" place to work if unable to see the birth of a child....I can think of a few that are anything but.

He didn't label the whole profesion,just the place that wouldn't let him attend the birth. I agree, that would be a horrible place to work at. Even if he did label the whole profession, what does he need to be careful for? You lost me there.

Totally agree with this.

Football doesn't have a 164 game season like baseball, or season's like hockey where not only do they play a lot of games, but half the teams get into the playoffs.

A football game is worth 10 baseball games in a season.

Today is a make or break game. For the money he's being paid, he's gotta be there.

And watching your child being born is priceless. Worth 10 baseball games...was gonna say that's funny, actually pretty sad someone thinks this way. Edited by Dopey

Yeah priorities lol you never took off work for the birth of your child. Please. I came home from Iraq for the birth of mine.

It's a job to these players. The sooner you see that the less your get worked up over this little stuff

Highly highly Doubtful TT doesn't throw to the area of field TEs work

I bet the owner doesn't have one issue with it either. ITS A JOB

I agree - but with the caveat that the ones for whom it more than just a job, greatness is more likely. Those are the guys that make it entertaining. It's that's true in all walks of life.

This is a silly argument. Of course you want to be there for the birth of your child. AND of course with all the options available, this could have been planned around so that he could be at the game.

His contract says he's worth half a million per game. For that kind of money you figure this out.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

I agree - but with the caveat that the ones for whom it more than just a job, greatness is more likely. Those are the guys that make it entertaining. It's that's true in all walks of life.

AJ Green is great and stated early this season he was absolutely going to miss the game for the birth of his son if it came down to it.

On the other hand, Joe Flacco is not great but skipped a birth in 2013 so....

The birth of a child is something special. If he doesn't play because of it, nobody should care. It's his right to do so and some things mean more in the world than a game of football.

I just hope both mother and child come through it healthy and well.

Those are nice stock answers but they don't really address this situation. You have to take it situationally. There will be about 400,000 children born on earth today.

Clay is just a passer-by here he will likely be as remembered as a Buffalo Bill as James Posey is 5 years from now......but what this is is another indictment on the Bills handling of contracts in the first offseason under the Pegula family.

There was some careless cash and over-the-top guarantees thrown around and those players have made A LOT of team-last decisions.

Lesson is that nice teams don't raise Lombardi's.

As I said, if this were a contract year for Clay or he had something to lose maybe his wife isn't pregnant during football season but at the very least we probably never even hear about this because they have birth induced or he plays.

As I said, if this were a contract year for Clay or he had something to lose maybe his wife isn't pregnant during football season but at the very least we probably never even hear about this because they have birth induced or he plays.

i agree with this..not the timing of the pregnancy, but the timing of the birth

Those are nice stock answers but they don't really address this situation. You have to take it situationally. There will be about 400,000 children born on earth today.

Clay is just a passer-by here he will likely be as remembered as a Buffalo Bill as James Posey is 5 years from now......but what this is is another indictment on the Bills handling of contracts in the first offseason under the Pegula family.

There was some careless cash and over-the-top guarantees thrown around and those players have made A LOT of team-last decisions.

But they do coerce retired players to take 6 snaps and a paycheck before retiring yet again!

You've got to be kidding right? The timing of Charles Clay's wife's pregnancy has nothing to do with whether his contract is or is not guaranteed. Jesus Christ, your opinions in this thread are something else.

You don't just snap your fingers and make someone pregnant. For all you know, they could have began trying to conceive to time the birth for the off-season or preseason and that just didn't work out. Life doesn't go on hold because of a football game, just like your 9-to-5 job doesn't stop if you take a sick day.

AJ Green is great and stated early this season he was absolutely going to miss the game for the birth of his son if it came down to it.

On the other hand, Joe Flacco is not great but skipped a birth in 2013 so....

Joe Flacco was GREAT one playoff run and will be forever remembered for it. It was an amazing performance and while the Ravens were good they had no business going thru that bunch of very talented and well coached teams and winning that SB so it was really something special to see.

I'd trade one SB win for the Bills entire roster and start over as an expansion team and I think it's safe to say that Bengals fans would too so I think you are just posing this from the perspective of you not caring about someone else's championship.

AJ Green is a borderline great player that may make the HOF. He's not going to go down in the discussion with Jerry Rice as GOAT. He is basically Ochoseis. :lol: