Clay inactive for game due to birth of child (updated)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I'm not worked up.

2. Absolutely, it is a job. A very high paying job. And with a job, comes business decisions. The ownership may or may not have an issue with his absence (we will never truly know)....But his entire history will be reviewed when it's time to make the tough decisions.

To whom much is given.......

This is a situation where you tell the baby momma that "WE made a badly timed mistake in decision making so I might have to miss this one."

Decision making like that is yet another reason for unguaranteed contracts for NFL players.

These guys play 16 games per year and if there isn't pressure to play or lose their job you would see TONS of excuses.

Simply put, it's a tough game and having known NFL players who HATED playing the game......and not guys fans would have expected.....there has to be incentive to go thru the pain or you will end up with a lot of Marquis Goodwin situations where slight injuries are parlayed into paid vacations because there is no financial incentive not too.

Edited by #BADOL

Wonder if any player has had to choose between playing in the Super Bowl and attending their child's birth.

I love Ben Zobrist and his wife's attitude:

Ben Zobrist's wife demands homer if she has their baby while he's playing World Series

Julianna Zobrist @JuliannaZobrist

IF anything were to happen I would just take a selfie of me and the baby and text it to Ben after the game!

And that’s fine, because I trust her and I trust the people that are around her, our family members that are with her and stuff right now.

If she has the baby, then there’s nothing I can do…. Obviously if it’s a family matter and it’s an emergency and there’s something that I need to be there for, I’ll be there.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/kansas-city-royals-ben-zobrist-julianna-zobrist-child-mlb

This is a situation where you tell the baby momma that "WE made a badly timed mistake in decision making so I might have to miss this one."

Decision making like that is yet another reason for unguaranteed contracts for NFL players.

These guys play 16 games per year and if there isn't pressure to play or lose their job you would see TONS of excuses.

What's the point of saying they play 16 games a year. They work a lot more than that. It's like saying a CEO has 5 important meetings a year. It's a worthless number to throw out.

Simply put, it's a tough game and having known NFL players who HATED playing the game......and not guys fans would have expected.....there has to be incentive to go thru the pain or you will end up with a lot of Marquis Goodwin situations where slight injuries are parlayed into paid vacations because there is no financial incentive not too.

Or you just take off work after talking to coach easy

What's the point of saying they play 16 games a year. They work a lot more than that. It's like saying a CEO has 5 important meetings a year. It's a worthless number to throw out.

Big difference between exercising and practicing catching footballs and watching film........and the intense violence of gameday and subsequent week of pain that follows.

That seems pretty obvious.

But like I said, welcome to the board. :doh:

Right but the CEO ditching the annual board meeting is different then missing a random Tuesday. For the NFL there are 16 and they are very specifically grouped on the calendar.

I'm not too stressed but I can see why someone would be frustrated potentially

Sure it was go look at his passing chart and see how that middles of the field from 10yard to 30 look. Bare

Yep just like it is with every NFL player. Though Clay is not getting cut from Bills anytime soon what's it matter if it is a job that pays millions or one that pays 20 an hour still just a job

Actually, that makes little sense and is simple logic. An NFL player has MUCH more invested into their employment by the employer and that player offers a very unique skillset. That guy making $20 an hour does not go through the same level of scrutiny prior to hiring and can be easily replaced.

Bravo to Clay. He's there for his wife, I'm cool with that.

It's also the NFL, same rules don't apply. Don't get worked up over imaginary life/job.

Let's hope O'Leary can step up. As they say, next man up.

Go Bills!

Edited by stony

Big difference between exercising and practicing catching footballs and watching film........and the intense violence of gameday and subsequent week of pain that follows.

That seems pretty obvious.

But like I said, welcome to the board. :doh:

Your understanding of what football players do is not the greatest.

Also my favorite thing is the people who complain about the PC Crowd (for being sensitive), but they are doing so in the context of whining about something. "Waaaahhhhhhhh the football player I like to watch won't play....wahhhhhhhhh....so what he is having a child and has prioritized that......wahhhhhhhhh........some something about the sensitive pc crowd"

Actually, that makes little sense and is simple logic. An NFL player has MUCH more invested into their employment by the employer and that player offers a very unique skillset. That guy making $20 an hour does not go through the same level of scrutiny prior to hiring and can be easily replaced.

Want better logic.

I was a Commander in Combat in Iraq. Senior Leadership flew me home for the birth of my child.

There

End of the day this is a game and a job no matter how much they are paid. Also you don't think this was OKed by Senior Leadership (i.e. Coaches and Owner) your niave

Or you just take off work after talking to coach easy

When you are Charles Clay and your very unique contract situation makes it highly unlikely that you will be cut or asked to take a pay cut.......then you can do that.

Hence my point about guaranteed contracts.

If his unguaranteed salary next year was $7m instead of $4.5M he might think long and hard about taking a day off to maybe see his child be born. That might be publicly applauded by management and turned into a paycut in February.

I'm not sure if he could even pass a physical as a FA anywhere in the league next year but for $4.5M the hit probably isn't high enough for management to do much slashing.

Want better logic.

I was a Commander in Combat in Iraq. Senior Leadership flew me home for the birth of my child.

There

End of the day this is a game and a job no matter how much they are paid. Also you don't think this was OKed by Senior Leadership (i.e. Coaches and Owner) your niave

Ding ding ding.

When you are Charles Clay and your very unique contract situation makes it highly unlikely that you will be cut or asked to take a pay cut.......then you can do that.

Hence my point about guaranteed contracts.

If his unguaranteed salary next year was $7m instead of $4.5M he might think long and hard about taking a day off to maybe see his child be born. That might be publicly applauded by management and turned into a paycut in February.

I'm not sure if he could even pass a physical as a FA anywhere in the league next year but for $4.5M the hit probably isn't high enough for management to do much slashing.

Any player can do it. Not hard.

Walk into coaches office say he coach my wife having a kid might be Sunday I really don't want to miss the birth of my kid am I good to stay home in case she does pop if not fly out early Sunday

See how that works easy

Want better logic.

There

If my grandfather said they airlifted him from Normandy so he could be there for the birth of my father I might see it your way.

I'm just sayin' the circumstances matter......like the certainty of the outcome for instance.

Thanks for your service but shame on you for trying to use that example.

And if you don't think ownership is annoyed......YOU are naive.

As someone who has 5 kids and never had one at a hospital I can tell you one thing I learned........your kids don't remember if you delivered them let alone if you were there. :lol:

The PC crowd of today thinks they got it all figured out......gotta' be there at all cost for childbirth (in truth for their own selfish gratification)..........then they herd their kids off to a toxic environment where everyone around them is the same age called school and wonder why their kids get depressed and start abusing drugs.

Those of you that think you are PC are going to find out that it's a temporary state.........what's acceptable is constantly evolving.

IMO Charles should risk missing the birth that he and his baby momma obviously terribly, unaccountably planned........and do the job you are paid to do 16 days per year and take that generational wealth you are earning and be there for the parts that actually MATTER to the life of your child. :thumbsup:

Seriously that is your take. I feel sorry for you.

Another great call by you, the PC crowd? Some things are right and some aren't and you sure as hell ain't deciding for me.

Hypothetical : I bet if the POTUS had a childbirth coming he would take the day off. Just saying.

If my grandfather said they airlifted him from Normandy so he could be there for the birth of my father I might see it your way.

I'm just sayin' the circumstances matter......like the certainty of the outcome for instance.

Thanks for your service but shame on you for trying to use that example.

And if you don't think ownership is annoyed......YOU are naive.

That is such a dumb example! If you can't see the difference I really feel sorry for you.