Clay inactive for game due to birth of child (updated)

YoloinOhio

The money the job pays reflects the importance of each game and the fact that you are being compensated for the demands of the job ; both physical and in lifestyle / personal areas. That means you may miss big events if the fates conspire with bad timing. This would be one of them. Get to the game and play- it's your job. Watch the video or plan things out better in your personal life.

Nope take the day off from your Job.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, can't there be more than one reasonable opinion about this topic?

yes, but the key word is 'reasonable'

Those are nice stock answers but they don't really address this situation. You have to take it situationally. There will be about 400,000 children born on earth today.

Clay is just a passer-by here he will likely be as remembered as a Buffalo Bill as James Posey is 5 years from now......but what this is is another indictment on the Bills handling of contracts in the first offseason under the Pegula family.

There was some careless cash and over-the-top guarantees thrown around and those players have made A LOT of team-last decisions.

Lesson is that nice teams don't raise Lombardi's.

As I said, if this were a contract year for Clay or he had something to lose maybe his wife isn't pregnant during football season but at the very least we probably never even hear about this because they have birth induced or he plays.

Certainly you can have your own opinion, and you've made that very clear, over and over and over again. But to somehow link this to guaranteed contracts sounds pretty ridiculous. Players have been doing this for many years, even when the money wasn't as great as it is now. I remember, I think a tackle for the Titans missed a playoff game years ago, i'm sure his salary wasn't near what Clay's is.

Totally agree with this.

Football doesn't have a 164 game season like baseball, or season's like hockey where not only do they play a lot of games, but half the teams get into the playoffs.

A football game is worth 10 baseball games in a season.

Today is a make or break game. For the money he's being paid, he's gotta be there.

No he doesn't. Also Football just like all if not more so is a 365 day a year sport. Take the time be there for your wife and enjoy the day Clay

It's a personal choice and that's between him and the guys in the locker room. I would find it hard to believe that everyone will be happy about him missing this game though and that goes from the top all the way down.

I be most don't care because this is just a job to most of them fans get more emotionally invested than the players do

I agree - but with the caveat that the ones for whom it more than just a job, greatness is more likely. Those are the guys that make it entertaining. It's that's true in all walks of life.

This is a silly argument. Of course you want to be there for the birth of your child. AND of course with all the options available, this could have been planned around so that he could be at the game.

His contract says he's worth half a million per game. For that kind of money you figure this out.

Break his contract down to 365 days. Football is not just a 16 week sport.

No he doesn't. Also Football just like all if not more so is a 365 day a year sport. Take the time be there for your wife and enjoy the day Clay

I be most don't care because this is just a job to most of them fans get more emotionally invested than the players do

This ^^

Unless you guys went to work instead of being at the birth of your child it's a little hypocritical. It doesn't matter what your job is; family comes first. Hopefully it is a happy and healthy experience for all.

Those are nice stock answers but they don't really address this situation. You have to take it situationally. There will be about 400,000 children born on earth today.

Clay is just a passer-by here he will likely be as remembered as a Buffalo Bill as James Posey is 5 years from now......but what this is is another indictment on the Bills handling of contracts in the first offseason under the Pegula family.

There was some careless cash and over-the-top guarantees thrown around and those players have made A LOT of team-last decisions.

Lesson is that nice teams don't raise Lombardi's.

As I said, if this were a contract year for Clay or he had something to lose maybe his wife isn't pregnant during football season but at the very least we probably never even hear about this because they have birth induced or he plays.

Lesson 31 teams don't raise a Trophy every year nice and mean doesn't matter.

I remember, I think a tackle for the Titans missed a playoff game years ago, i'm sure his salary wasn't near what Clay's is.

Your memory is correct and it was a huge national story/controversy because the team wanted him to play and that's why the official response from management now is always "okeedokee" when these situations come up.

Not the naive take that MajBobby gives that management is OK with it. There is a difference between being socially pressured to permit something and approving of it.

And you are wrong, David Williams was a very high dollar football player.

Team and leadership bore some resemblance to this one also....an emotional rollercoaster of a football team.

Your memory is correct and it was a huge national story/controversy because the team wanted him to play and that's why the official response from management now is always "okeedokee" when these situations come up.

Not the naive take that MajBobby gives that management is OK with it. There is a difference between being socially pressured to permit something and approving of it.

And you are wrong, David Williams was a very high dollar football player.

Team and leadership bore some resemblance to this one also....an emotional rollercoaster of a football team.

Yep your right Clay went rogue and is skipping the game without managements Ok. So hilarious.

Yep your right Clay went rogue and is skipping the game without managements Ok. So hilarious.

Obviously that's not what I said.

I know you have the right to act ignorant on a message board away from your job but it concerns me that a major in the military is this catty. :doh:

PFF is pretty strict on drops and they've only got him at 5. As a whole, they have the team at 15 drops.

Clay's been a disappointment but the drops angle is a slight fallacy.

dont pay for PFF stat access and haven't found their drops for free. So I used Sporting Charts to get my 3 number

You've got to be kidding right? The timing of Charles Clay's wife's pregnancy has nothing to do with whether his contract is or is not guaranteed. Jesus Christ, your opinions in this thread are something else.

You don't just snap your fingers and make someone pregnant. For all you know, they could have began trying to conceive to time the birth for the off-season or preseason and that just didn't work out. Life doesn't go on hold because of a football game, just like your 9-to-5 job doesn't stop if you take a sick day.

Well said, I'm sure some of these guys would tell you they've never taken a sick day. I'm sure sick days are for PC losers who aren't real men. The funny part of all the whining in this post is that ultimately some fans are whining because a freaking game isn't going their way. Since we are talking about manliness that certainly doesn't rank up there very high.

Many successful organizations believe in and display compassion for their employees, not only professionally, but personally. It happens in every aspect of employment. Creating an environment where players' personal lives are not respected nor appreciated with create a disfunctionsl culture and project a negative atmosphere.

I hope and am glad the Pegulas and the Buffalo Bills respect and approve of a players'"family first" mentality.

Well said, I'm sure some of these guys would tell you they've never taken a sick day. I'm sure sick days are for PC losers who aren't real men. The funny part of all the whining in this post is that ultimately some fans are whining because a freaking game isn't going their way. Since we are talking about manliness that certainly doesn't rank up there very high.

Keep that TSW logic coming guys. :lol:

Now we can't even take a sick day!

What other freedoms does #BADOL want to take from you? It's an outrage!

I admit that I like dumb comedy so you guys are entertaining me with these takes.

But who says the Bills are going to lose because of the absence of Chuck Clay? They've won without him, don't be a defeatist.