We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

To me it would make absolutely no sense to not pick up the option on Tyrod. Okay, if Brees or Rivers were available and willing to come here, then yes buh bye Tyrod, nice knowing ya. But let's be serious. I seriously think their is about a 1% chance that happens. Please do not bring up Romo, who was never quite on that tier and has had continuous serious injuries over the last few years. Let Tyrod walk to watch Romo get injured in game 1 and retire? I don't think so.

If we are going to replace Tyrod, where is that replacement going to come from? The draft is where you are going to find your guy. I think we should definitely be drafting more QB's but that doesn't mean they have to start right away. Yes if we are going QB in the top ten, I am a believer you should be going with that guy from day one, but we have learned with players like Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott, that you don't have to get your QB in round one. That said two of those guys started as rookies and have be great thus far. I think you re-up Tyrod and put more a an emphasis on drafting QB's and if one can beat Tyrod out that is great. If Tyrod can elevate his play and solidify his position as a starter, that is great.

Tyrod's contract is very low for a QB and if we were to draft somebody who panned out, Tyrod's contract would run out before we had to pay the new guy. Tyrod's extension will have no bearing on our ability to keep another QB should we find one that we think can be great. Even if Tyrod regresses and we want to cut him, his dead cap space is extremely low and would have little affect on the roster. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

I know we have statistically, the worst passing game in the NFL. I wish we could have what we had with the K-Gun in the 90's but that isn't happening unless we draft someone who is really good. So we aren't going to have that great passing game just yet but we do have the best running game in the NFL both by yards and yards per carry. I do like that we are going against the grain and doing the exact opposite of what everyone else is doing. I also don't think we have peaked yet as an offense and we won't this season. I think if we improve the RT position, be savvy in free agency and add some useful veteran receivers, and give Anthonly Lynn an off-season to fine tune the offense. We could be very good next season.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it would make absolutely no sense to not pick up the option on Tyrod. Okay, if Brees or Rivers were available and willing to come here, then yes buh bye Tyrod, nice knowing ya. But let's be serious. I seriously think their is about a 1% chance that happens. Please do not bring up Romo, who was never quite on that tier and has had continuous serious injuries over the last few years. Let Tyrod walk to watch Romo get injured in game 1 and retire? I don't think so.

If we are going to replace Tyrod, where is that replacement going to come from? The draft is where you are going to find your guy. I think we should definitely be drafting more QB's but that doesn't mean they have to start right away. Yes if we are going QB in the top ten, I am a believer you should be going with that guy from day one, but we have learned with players like Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott, that you don't have to get your QB in round one. That said two of those guys started as rookies and have be great thus far. I think you re-up Tyrod and put more a an emphasis on drafting QB's and if one can beat Tyrod out that is great. If Tyrod can elevate his play and solidify his position as a starter, that is great.

Tyrod's contract is very low for a QB and if we were to draft somebody who panned out, Tyrod's contract would run out before we had to pay the new guy. Tyrod's extension will have no bearing on our ability to keep another QB should we find one that we think can be great. Even if Tyrod regresses and we want to cut him, his dead cap space is extremely low and would have little affect on the roster. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

I know we have statistically, the worst passing game in the NFL. I wish we could have what we had with the K-Gun in the 90's but that isn't happening unless we draft someone who is really good. So we aren't going to have that great passing game just yet but we do have the best running game in the NFL both by yards and yards per carry. I do like that we are going against the grain and doing the exact opposite of what everyone else is doing. I also don't think we have peaked yet as an offense and we won't this season. I think if we improve the RT position, be savvy in free agency and add some useful veteran receivers, and give Anthonly Lynn an off-season to fine tune the offense. We could be very good next season.

Yards are the dumbest measure of either offense or defense. There are far worse passing games in the NFL.

I might be the only guy who knows what it's like to be looking over your shoulder wondering if that mistake will lead to your benching. Believe it or not most players play better when they know they have margin to make errors.

Tyrod is the unquestioned leader of our team. Tyrod is the best athlete we have at QB. Tyrod is the best QB on the team. The issue I have with drafting a QB in 2017 is that it will inevitably, no matter what round send a message to Tyrod to look over your shoulder.

For that reason alone, I am advocating the Bills bring in a competent backup, to compete against Cardale and the #1 spot. If there is someone we like in the draft I say take a shot. But understand from Tyrod's perspective every play could be his last. He could play even more cautious with that in mind.

Given the likelihood of the above scenario if we stay on our current course, I'd like to see Rex take off Tyrod's training wheels these last 5 weeks. Why not try something radical? Tyrod needs to play better. That's it. Tyrod needs to play better. It doesn't matter that he is not a complete QB at this point.

If we are being honest, the Bills will only go as far as their QB can take them. If we remain a 175 yard a game passing team we are a 9-7 team looking outside thru the playoff window. Our running game can only be so good. Tyrod Taylor has shown an ability to improvise and make something out of a busted play.

With that in mind, I'd like to see the Bills do two things: #1 Implement a no huddle offense, #2 in that no huddle cut the playbook down to 10 plays. Simplifying the offense would allow Tyrod at times to run his own plays and give our offense another dimension to tire out the opposing defense. We heard Thurman talk about this earlier in the year. It's not how many plays, it's how well they are executed and the talent executing them. We have talent. What we need is a coaching staff willing to self assess and take a risk, and take a shot at making the playoffs.

Edited by Dr.Sack

#1 - the going rate for QB will be pushing $25 mil/yr...(carr, cousins, luck, romo, flacco, palmer, ryan , Stafford)

#2 - tyrod's deal averages about $17 mil/yr cap hit which would make him the 20th highest paid qb in 2017.

#3 - his contract is team friendly with very low dead money after every single season.

#4 - keep tyrod until you are absolutely sure you have someone better already on team. don't cut him and go hoping, wishing.

#5 - get healthy (wr, rb, c), upgrade RT, add a WR and watch TT return to alternate pro bowl level.

#1 - the going rate for QB will be pushing $25 mil/yr...(carr, cousins, luck, romo, flacco, palmer, ryan , Stafford)#2 - tyrod's deal averages about $17 mil/yr cap hit which would make him the 20th highest paid qb in 2017.#3 - his contract is team friendly with very low dead money after every single season.#4 - keep tyrod until you are absolutely sure you have someone better already on team. don't cut him and go hoping, wishing.#5 - get healthy (wr, rb, c), upgrade RT, add a WR and watch TT return to alternate pro bowl level.

agree however Rex will want to spend draft picks next year again on defense, looking for CB and safeties. So getting a RT and WRs won't be a priority

They will pick up Tyrod's option, I just believe that it will be restructured to where next year's cap hit is not $27,000,000. Tyrod will work with them because they worked with him to give him a raise this year. My guess is they will get his cap number between 18-20 mill so they have more flexibility in FA.

It's a no brainer to pick up his contract. The only people that don't think so are the few on this board we already know aren't smart or are trolls.

Anytime you can sign the 29th ranked qb you do it !

We beat the jags baby. We da best!

Let's forget the pats/fins/ravens/bengals games.

6 games left. Right now it's a no.

#OVERTHEMIDDLE. LULZ.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

#OVERTHEMIDDLE. LULZ.

It just occurred to me who you remind me exactly of: Donald Trump. The way you talk about Taylor is the same exact way Trump talked (still talks) about anyone who disagrees with him. It's very unbecoming. And he isn't the "29th ranked QB." By that measure, Blake Bortles was one of the highest "ranked" QB's last year. Everyone knows that if Taylor threw for a ton of yards but had a poor passer rating and YPA (admittedly those numbers are down this year but they were elite last year and you failed to acknowledge them over and over and over and over and over) you would cite those numbers and ignore his passing yards. You aren't that hard to figure out. Edited by metzelaars_lives

#OVERTHEMIDDLE. LULZ.

in favor of what....its easy to throw stones, but whats your proposed solution? And just calling Tyrod "The 29th ranked QB" in your snide way does not tell the entire story of what he does/brings to the team

So what is your solution at QB, draft and pray? overpay an aged, not very much of an upgrade vet? (And this comes from someone who is also critical of Tyrod)

It just occurred to me who you remind me exactly of: Donald Trump. The way you talk about Taylor is the same exact way Trump talked (still talks) about anyone who disagrees with him. It's very unbecoming. And he isn't the "29th ranked QB." By that measure, Blake Bortles was one of the highest "ranked" QB's last year. Everyone knows that if Taylor threw for a ton of yards but had a poor passer rating and YPA (admittedly those numbers are down this year but they were elite last year and you failed to acknowledge them over and over and over and over and over) you would cite those numbers and ignore his passing yards. You aren't that hard to figure out.

Where was your voice when the pats were blowing us out and Tyrod was pooping his pants ? Take the Trump talk to PPP bruh

in favor of what....its easy to throw stones, but whats your proposed solution? And just calling Tyrod "The 29th ranked QB" in your snide way does not tell the entire story of what he does/brings to the team

So what is your solution at QB, draft and pray? overpay an aged, not very much of an upgrade vet? (And this comes from someone who is also critical of Tyrod)

Draft and pray works for me. Romo would be the dream scenario really. Trubisky/Watson/Rudolph could get us 166 yards passing too

McCoy is the engine. Qb can be replaced easily.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

While I haven't been happy with Tyrod, he's also the best we have available to us (afaik), so yeah, keep him around I guess.

Draft a guy in the upcoming draft, and hope he shines, I suppose too. And see what Cardale has. I assume EJ walks.

You can get a RT in the 32nd or 3rd, or sign a FA, that's likely the easiest to fill.

I'd go 1st round CB, 2nd WR, 3rd, RT

agree however Rex will want to spend draft picks next year again on defense, looking for CB and safeties. So getting a RT and WRs won't be a priority

Great, what's your solution? How would you improve things for next season?

Now I saw your solution posted. So not trying to get better, you just want to replace him with someone else, as you said can also get 166 yards. Maybe one of them will do better, but figuring out which one is a crap shoot. And have a better chance of getting worse. The only thing I see your solution does is it saves money, but likely will be worse off at a minimum for the short term.

This is one of the best ideas I've ever seen!!

#OVERTHEMIDDLE. LULZ.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Where was your voice when the pats were blowing us out and Tyrod was pooping his pants ? Take the Trump talk to PPP bruh Draft and pray works for me. Romo would be the dream scenario really. Trubisky/Watson/Rudolph could get us 166 yards passing too

McCoy is the engine. Qb can be replaced easily.

Dude I have no illusions as to what Tyrod Taylor is. As a first year starter last season, he was a middle of the road NFL starting QB. Which ain't too f***** bad. This season he has regressed slightly and is a below average- yet still top 32 and worthy of being a starting- NFL QB. I never said he hasn't had poor games or frustrated me this season. You clamored for EJ Manuel when it had become apparent he wasn't a top 50 NFL QB. You are very difficult to take seriously when it comes to your takes on Bills QB's. Edited by metzelaars_lives