Whaley deserves a lot of blame for not bringing a legit WR

Yeezus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Franchise WR dont just grow on trees and most of the time they are a direct product of the offense/QB, not the other way around. Remember when the Steelers were idiots for letting Mike Wallace walk, oh dont worry A.Brown turned into the best WR in the league. Who will Rogers throw to if we get rid of Greg Jennings? Ok I guess Jordy is pretty good. All of those years with Megatron and Detroit did very little with him, same with Larry in Arizona. Look at how successful the Pats have been with replacement parts year after year. Who the hell was a WR on the Panthers last year when they made the superbowl? Tedd Freakin Ginn? Name a starting WR on the seahawks when they won their superbowl? It was not A-list "legit WR". The Browns had Josh Gordan last year and sucked. These "stud" WR are great at catching highlight passes and they certainly are valuable to some extent but they dont make the offense go really. Look how much Atlanta has struggled through the yeas even with Julio.

This post is so dumb. No team in the league has 6-7 "legit" WR. When it looks like they do its because they have a good QB that makes those WR look good.

Edited by jletha

For all those that are tired of this poster lets band together and all reply with the same reply in each one of his threads. I think this will accomplish a couple of things. It'll show just how many posters are tired of it and most likely drown the thread - second it will show unity and more pronounced displeasure.

I propose we each respond with a - "No Thank You!" post

How about instead of "No Thank You" we post: "#FARTNOISE" in response to Yeezy threads? For the millenials.

Not if we finish better than 500 they're not!

Of course they are. Maybe not this off-season, but they're numbered.

The barometer for success with this GM and HC is making the playoffs. They are not going to be given an eternity to get there.

When they don't get us there, and "enough time" has passed, they'll be gone.

My original point was that only Pegula knows how much time is enough time.

We should be suiting up seven Pro Bowl wide receivers for an offense that ranks third in rushing attempts and dead last in passing attempts.

The fact that we don't means Whaley is having himself a Nix nap.

What a Mickey Mouse organization.

Russ Brandon has to go.

Rob Ryan's nutritionist needs to be held accountable.

Everyone sucks but me.

As funny as this is, I will say that the WR complaint is one that was brought up several times before the season began. It seemed thin in the offseason, in training camp, at the start of the season and especially when everyone decided to go get injured. I relented a bit when he brought in Hunter, though I still think the Harvin move (while not really being a risk) wasn't necessarily a step forward (see: migraines).

Can you predict these injuries? No, of course not. Can you be more prepared for Watkins and Goodwin to miss significant time? Absolutely. It doesn't mean you have to wheel and deal, it just means maybe pick up an Anquain Bolden to get a stable veteran presence at the position. I certainly would have preferred that to the Reggie Bush pick up.

No Thank You

#FARTNOISE

Is that no thank you to me? or yeezy? or both?

Of course they are. Maybe not this off-season, but they're numbered.

The barometer for success with this GM and HC is making the playoffs. They are not going to be given an eternity to get there.

When they don't get us there, and "enough time" has passed, they'll be gone.

My original point was that only Pegula knows how much time is enough time.

My apologies. Yes his day's are numbered, I just though you were referring to this year...

As funny as this is, I will say that the WR complaint is one that was brought up several times before the season began. It seemed thin in the offseason, in training camp, at the start of the season and especially when everyone decided to go get injured. I relented a bit when he brought in Hunter, though I still think the Harvin move (while not really being a risk) wasn't necessarily a step forward (see: migraines).

Can you predict these injuries? No, of course not. Can you be more prepared for Watkins and Goodwin to miss significant time? Absolutely. It doesn't mean you have to wheel and deal, it just means maybe pick up an Anquain Bolden to get a stable veteran presence at the position. I certainly would have preferred that to the Reggie Bush pick up.

Response was the same when this was griped about six months ago:

Run first offense.

Before injuries ravaged the corps:

Watkins legit no.1

Woods statistically sound for no. 2

Clay should be a weapon in the passing game

Shady should be a weapon in the passing game

The need to bring in another body to compete for touches with all the factors above didn't make sense then and it still doesn't.

Is that no thank you to me? or yeezy? or both?

My apologies. Yes his day's are numbered, I just though you were referring to this year...

That other guy

You can't in the blink of an eye build a team that's strong everywhere. In fact, in this salary cap era, you can't ever build a team that's strong everywhere.

DW built us a running team. He acquired a great RB in Shady and a running QB.

He got us Watkins, Woods, and Clay for the WR and TE positions. For a running team, that's not a bad threesome.

Yep, injuries exposed the fact that we don't have a lot of depth at wideout.

You just can't have depth everywhere. We have better depth at RB which makes sense for a running team.

If I'm upset at Whaley for anything, it's RT. It didn't take any injuries to expose a weakness there.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Yes.

Well, I'll give him some more time to get into the swing of things. Just out of curiosity, if he does turn it around, will you come on here to talk about how you were wrong?

You know, just like you are tooting your horn that you are right with your statements about him now?

Edited by HamSandwhich

Fair point, and I agree.

WR was a huge weakness heading into the offseason and we did nothing. I hope the same mistake is not repeated this season. We need a talent infusion at that position.

This guy is the answer to our WR problems in the 2017 draft. Gonna be a #1 in the NFL:

COREY DAVIS, WR, Western Michigan

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Classic-Vintage-Red-Cotton-Rug-8-x-11/9943502/product.html?recset=269b9474-bc64-44fc-b045-d3e37410ff19&refccid=CIT3EMZ7NEKYRO2IOHAHN5PL3I&recalg=872,873,839&recidx=2

He's the best WR in the draft, IMO.

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson is also decent, but he's no where near as shifty or dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch as Corey Davis. He is a nice big body who can come sown with the jump ball, which the Bills sorely need though. Corey Davis can also come down with the jump balls. 1 - Corey Davis. 2- Mike Williams

Problem is....Corey Davis will be a top 10 pick, so won't be around when Bills are on the clock.

I clicked on that link, and now I'm getting that same rug advertised to me on my Facebook feed. Thanks a lot...

Isn't it the GM's job is to anticipate roster challenges and address them before they get out of hand? Was it hard for Whaley to look down the roster and see they were thin at WR back in April? I guess he didn't know that Watkins had a bad foot leaving only Robert Woods as a reliable WR on the roster. I guess he just couldn't have known that the others wouldn't fare much beyond their track records as poor options. I guess he expected types like Marquise Goodwin, Jarrett Boykin or raw rookies like Kolby Listenbee to be able to shoulder the load.

It doesn't matter that they're a run first team. Every single NFL offense needs more than a banged up Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay (the new invisible man) to generate some passing yardage.

The WR position was a mess during the off-season, remained so in camp, and got worse (predictably with Watkins' injury) and somehow it's not the GM's fault.

Doug Whaley is truly the teflon GM. Never responsible for the roster or accountable (to some) for the W-L record, which is 29-30 at the end of his 4th season as GM. And of course, zero playoff appearances. Somehow it's always someone or something else at fault for his team.

You can't in the blink of an eye build a team that's strong everywhere. In fact, in this salary cap era, you can't ever build a team that's strong everywhere.

DW built us a running team. He acquired a great RB in Shady and a running QB.

He got us Watkins, Woods, and Clay for the WR and TE positions. For a running team, that's not a bad threesome.

Yep, injuries exposed the fact that we don't have a lot of depth at wideout.

You just can't have depth everywhere. We have better depth at RB which makes sense for a running team.

If I'm upset at Whaley for anything, it's RT. It didn't take any injuries to expose a weakness there.

Thank you for the rational post.

Now we just have to get ready for the RT sucks thread, which may have a little more merit. I'm sure they were hoping to get something out of Seantrel, but sometimes it doesn't work out. They have worked around it as our running game and points scored attest, but an upgrade there was surely on the wish list.

Isn't it the GM's job is to anticipate roster challenges and address them before they get out of hand? Was it hard for Whaley to look down the roster and see they were thin at WR back in April? I guess he didn't know that Watkins had a bad foot leaving only Robert Woods as a reliable WR on the roster. I guess he just couldn't have known that the others wouldn't fare much beyond their track records as poor options. I guess he expected types like Marquise Goodwin, Jarrett Boykin or raw rookies like Kolby Listenbee to be able to shoulder the load.

It doesn't matter that they're a run first team. Every single NFL offense needs more than a banged up Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay (the new invisible man) to generate some passing yardage.

The WR position was a mess during the off-season, remained so in camp, and got worse (predictably with Watkins' injury) and somehow it's not the GM's fault.

Doug Whaley is truly the teflon GM. Never responsible for the roster or accountable (to some) for the W-L record, which is 29-30 at the end of his 4th season as GM. And of course, zero playoff appearances. Somehow it's always someone or something else at fault for his team.

He like every GM builds the team to fit with the coaches wants.

Except he was not the man pulling the trigger before the 6-10 year.

Drop that and what is his record?