Whaley deserves a lot of blame for not bringing a legit WR

Yeezus

Isn't it the GM's job is to anticipate roster challenges and address them before they get out of hand? Was it hard for Whaley to look down the roster and see they were thin at WR back in April? I guess he didn't know that Watkins had a bad foot leaving only Robert Woods as a reliable WR on the roster. I guess he just couldn't have known that the others wouldn't fare much beyond their track records as poor options. I guess he expected types like Marquise Goodwin, Jarrett Boykin or raw rookies like Kolby Listenbee to be able to shoulder the load.

It doesn't matter that they're a run first team. Every single NFL offense needs more than a banged up Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay (the new invisible man) to generate some passing yardage.

The WR position was a mess during the off-season, remained so in camp, and got worse (predictably with Watkins' injury) and somehow it's not the GM's fault.

Doug Whaley is truly the teflon GM. Never responsible for the roster or accountable (to some) for the W-L record, which is 29-30 at the end of his 4th season as GM. And of course, zero playoff appearances. Somehow it's always someone or something else at fault for his team.

No offense, but this is a terrible post.

1. This notion that you and others have that a GM is somehow supposed to get good players at every position every off season, and do so enough to be so deep we have good players on the bench is ludicrous.

2. Our WR was NOT a mess in the off season. Sammy's injury was not supposed to be an on going issue, and if you take issue with that then start whining about the medical staff who provided that information to our front office. Sammy was expected back healthy with no lingering issues with his his foot. Would it be nice to have a second guy at WR that could assume a #1 Role and be productive if Sammy got hurt again or had reoccurring issues...sure, but those WR's dont grow on trees, are generally not available on the waiver wire, and are a crap shoot in the draft.

3. We were limited with the cap during FA, and there was not a WR that would have been some life saver that we were in position to sign. So FA isn't even part of this discussion.

4. The Draft: We had bigger needs than WR, and Whaley got Shaq with somewhat of a steal where we got him,(which is looking like a very good pick so far in limited sample size) and then got another great value in Ragland, another position of bigger need who was looking great before an unlucky injury. More importantly, there isn't a single WR rookie from that draft making a massive impact right now, including ones we were NOT in position to draft that went before our picks.

So I ask...seriously want you to answer this question in detail. What WR did Whaley miss out on that would have made a big impact for us after Sammy got hurt? Its easy for you people to run around and say blanket statements like"Whaley screwed us by not upgrading this position"...its another thing to show me someone Whaley could have signed (the feeling had to be MUTUAL), that we could have afforded by the way...or what player in the draft did we pass on that miraculously replaces Sammy (Easily a top 10 WR when healthy, and I would argue top 5) while he was out.

Im tired of all this whining about how Whaley didn't improve every position on this roster this offseason. No one is praising him for the young talent he acquired, the free agent values he found, including the NFL sack leader, etc. Its always about what he "didn't" do even when you have no idea if there was even anything he could have done, or if there was, what would we have lost instead. And you also say all this stuff AFTER our starters get hurt and are pissed we dont have Pro Bowlers waiting in the wings on our bench.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but this is a terrible post.

1. This notion that you and others have that a GM is somehow supposed to get good players at every position every off season, and do so enough to be so deep we have good players on the bench is ludicrous.

2. Our WR was NOT a mess in the off season. Sammy's injury was not supposed to be an on going issue, and if you take issue with that then start whining about the medical staff who provided that information to our front office. Sammy was expected back healthy with no lingering issues with his his foot. Would it be nice to have a second guy at WR that could assume a #1 Role and be productive if Sammy got hurt again or had reoccurring issues...sure, but those WR's dont grow on trees, are generally not available on the waiver wire, and are a crap shoot in the draft.

3. We were limited with the cap during FA, and there was not a WR that would have been some life saver that we were in position to sign. So FA isn't even part of this discussion.

4. The Draft: We had bigger needs than WR, and Whaley got Shaq with somewhat of a steal where we got him,(which is looking like a very good pick so far in limited sample size) and then got another great value in Ragland, another position of bigger need who was looking great before an unlucky injury. More importantly, there isn't a single WR rookie from that draft making a massive impact right now, including ones we were NOT in position to draft that went before our picks.

So I ask...seriously want you to answer this question in detail. What WR did Whaley miss out on that would have made a big impact for us after Sammy got hurt? Its easy for you people to run around and say blanket statements like"Whaley screwed us by not upgrading this position"...its another thing to show me someone Whaley could have signed (the feeling had to be MUTUAL), that we could have afforded by the way...or what player in the draft did we pass on that miraculously replaces Sammy (Easily a top 10 WR when healthy, and I would argue top 5) while he was out.

Im tired of all this whining about how Whaley didn't improve every position on this roster this offseason. No one is praising him for the young talent he acquired, the free agent values he found, including the NFL sack leader, etc. Its always about what he "didn't" do even when you have no idea if there was even anything he could have done, or if there was, what would we have lost instead. And you also say all this stuff AFTER our starters get hurt and are pissed we dont have Pro Bowlers waiting in the wings on our bench.

And THIS is an EXCELLENT post. The only thing I might add is to ask: since we are a heavy run first offense, so how much of our resources should be devoted to the passing game?

Yezus is just one week ahead of everyone.

No doubt the WR position was neglected. We all knew of Porcelain Watkins condition and we still did nothing.

Yes, Harvin signing was a joke and shows complete desperation.

It seems like this team reacts instead of being proactive and that's a recipe for failure.

Hopefully we get some new trainers next year. Who is at the cutting edge of nutrition, workouts, injuries.

This team still lines up and touch their toes for stretching. Antiquated to say the least.

Imo

Can I ask if this aspect of the team was different in 2014 when their injury situation was the best I can remember?

Fair point, and I agree.

WR was a huge weakness heading into the offseason and we did nothing. I hope the same mistake is not repeated this season. We need a talent infusion at that position.

This guy is the answer to our WR problems in the 2017 draft. Gonna be a #1 in the NFL:

COREY DAVIS, WR, Western Michigan

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Classic-Vintage-Red-Cotton-Rug-8-x-11/9943502/product.html?recset=269b9474-bc64-44fc-b045-d3e37410ff19&refccid=CIT3EMZ7NEKYRO2IOHAHN5PL3I&recalg=872,873,839&recidx=2

He's the best WR in the draft, IMO.

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson is also decent, but he's no where near as shifty or dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch as Corey Davis. He is a nice big body who can come sown with the jump ball, which the Bills sorely need though. Corey Davis can also come down with the jump balls. 1 - Corey Davis. 2- Mike Williams

Problem is....Corey Davis will be a top 10 pick, so won't be around when Bills are on the clock.

Now, now the Bills did do something this with the WR corps this offseason...they let Chris Hogan leave for the Patriots.

Speaking of the Patriots, even with a receiving corps loaded with talent they seem to find a way to bring in more talent to their WR corps and sometimes it works out and at times it doesn't. This year they traded for the Bears star TE in Martellus Bennett and good thing now that Gronk is out for two months. They signed Chris Hogan and Nate Washington and drafted Malcom Mitchell in the 4th round.

Still, gotta really like Justin Hunter and wonder why he doesn't see more passes his way this year. The kid has only seen 14 targets, 7 receptions and 4 of them have been for TD's!

Things wouldn't be so bad if Woods wasn't out with an injury and Watkins missing most of the season. WR Walter Powell, WR / ST Marcus Easley, WR Kolby Listenbee and Chris Gragg all on IR. 13 players on IR, another 5 out with injuries, and 8 questionable with another 5 probable. Good Lord! WTH is up with the current Bills trainers and S&C coaches?