CFB Playoff Rankings

26CornerBlitz

it does sound crazy when trying to explain it!

I appreciate you guys all taking the time. I still enjoy the games and like amateur scouting the players. I just find the structure bonkers.

I will enjoy that the semi finals are New Years Eve. I plan to see in the New Year in the local pub then get home and stick the second game on.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate you guys all taking the time. I still enjoy the games and like amateur scouting the players. I just find the structure bonkers.

I will enjoy that the semi finals are New Years Eve. I plan to see in the New Year in the local pub then get home and stick the second game on.

It is a huge topic of discussion here and it's fun to talk about. Hopefully, we were able to clear it up even if it doesn't make a ton of sense. At the end of the day, it has more or less worked. I would anticipate it going to 8 teams in the next few years which will make more sense. It's definitely odd that you have 5 "power conferences" and 4 playoff spots.

Personally I would not be averse to going to 8 teams. That way you get the power 5 conference champs and the next 3 best teams. Having said that, it only gets more difficult as the pool gets bigger because resumes start to look alot like.

Screw that. Give the non-powers a berth. Otherwise just make D-1 the power 5 conferences.

Screw that. Give the non-powers a berth. Otherwise just make D-1 the power 5 conferences.

If it goes to 8, I am okay giving 1 spot to the top ranked non-power 5 school (like what happens with the New Year's 6 bowl games). Maybe the criteria is, if they are in the top 16 they get a spot?

You can't go any further because by and large, those teams can't compete. You may have years where they could win a game and reach the semis (think Boise over OU) but they'd never win 3 games and a national title. They don't generate the revenue either. There aren't people clamoring for a quarterfinal match-up of Western Michigan and Alabama.

I don't mind the non-power 5 schools having an avenue to get there if it goes to 8 but 1 school max. They can qualify for more but I don't ever remember a year where 2 non-power 5 schools were amongst the 8 best teams in the nation.

Embrace the chaos. There are 128 schools in the FBS, and jokes aside these kids are students. There is no practical way to truly settle it all on the field. The Pardon My Take podcast had a funny idea the other day about a one-weekend elimination tournament where you a run a bunch of teams through an overtime-style situation with each team getting the ball on the 30 and a chance to score. That would be pretty wild. Short of that, the coaches, media, and now this playoff committee, will continue to do what they have done for more than a century: look at the teams, look at the wins and losses, and try to figure out who's who in the zoo. It's subjective, political, and profoundly imperfect-- but all that B.S. is also part of the intrigue for fans. Expanding the playoff field to eight teams wouldn't fix anything; we'd still be arguing over who should be in and who should be out based on rankings made in a conference room.

Go PSU! .... clearly, they're better than OSU, they beat them in a game right? :nana:

they might be (they have played very, very well ever since that game which is also the game they got their starting LBs back). I love McSorley, Barkley and Gesicki (Urban wanted Gesicki badly). I give PSU all the credit. The committee may look at that game with a bit of context as OSU was playing its second consecutive road Night game in a hostile atmosphere vs a second consecutive opponent coming off of a bye week. They had a brutal schedule to get through 11-1 with 44 freshmen and 16 new starters. I will be happy if Bucks get in but didn't expect it this year at all. We were thinking 3 losses looking at the schedule and rebuild. They are a year ahead of schedule - truly amazing accomplishment.

Buckeye defense is very fast and aggressive ... people think of Urban and offense but this team is spearheaded by its D. The offense has been inconsistent due to inexperience. They have also dealt with weather games all year though and now that will be be a non-factor. In snow, rain, wind the offensive coaches tend to light the playbook on fire and make JT run it 35 times. We will likely see a difference in how the offense looks in the playoff with a month to prepare, no weather and the fast track they are built for.

Edited by YoloinOhio

OSU being in there is a national tragedy.

a "national tragedy"? The hyperbole alone (we are talking about football here for pete's sake) should be enough for me to not take this post seriously. Just wanted to make sure you know that it's Ohio State and not Oklahoma State... Edited by YoloinOhio

If you only wanted to take the Confrence champions the teams would have to only play games within their Confrence. But if that happened it would be difficult to rate teams and Confrence's since there would be no games to use for comparison.

If you take just the champions, you are ignoring roughly 25% of the schedule. Even the NFL doesn't simply ignore non Confrence games.

If you only wanted to take the Confrence champions the teams would have to only play games within their Confrence. But if that happened it would be difficult to rate teams and Confrence's since there would be no games to use for comparison.

If you take just the champions, you are ignoring roughly 25% of the schedule. Even the NFL doesn't simply ignore non Confrence games.

Just do something to try and standardise the out of conference shedules a little bit and then count those games in the conference standings. That way Ohio State at 11-1 finish ahead of Penn State at 10-2 and you don't have a problem.

Just do something to try and standardise the out of conference shedules a little bit and then count those games in the conference standings. That way Ohio State at 11-1 finish ahead of Penn State at 10-2 and you don't have a problem.

Kick Maryland, Nebraska, and Rutgers out, then ditch the championship game. Each team plays each other, each team has 5 home and 5 away conference games. Tie-breaker between 2 teams for the championship goes to the winner of the game between them.

Edited by Rico

The reason they don't just do this in CFB (the top 4 conference champs, given the current format) is because of unbalanced schedules. While it is possible, it wouldn't automatically provide the best 4 teams (determined based on overall season-long resume). That is why they have a committee. They examine every win and every loss and circumstances within. A conference championship is a factor (along with head-to-head, SOS rank, and result of common opponents), but they are only used when there needs to be a tie-breaker between teams they view as too close to call. Not as an overall criteria in selection.

The interesting thing is that the Big 10 championship game doesn't have their best team in it, possible either of the best two.

The interesting thing is that the Big 10 championship game doesn't have their best team in it, possible either of the best two.

and the Ohio state is their best team beat by the team that's playing tonight. And one thing is for sure, if Penn state wins than Michigan doesn't deserve a shot in the top 4

Eddddddddiittttt

Just caught up with all this. I hope no one forgets that teams in the MAC, CUSA etc need a chance against the big dogs. People mock that tOSU plays BG, or Clemson plays coastal Carolina a or such. Well, that's big. Those teams some times win and it helps their chances. Look at NIU, a damn good team in the MAC. They'd beat most of the SEC or Big10. App beat Michigan, BGSU beat Penn State, the underdog wins some times.

and the Ohio state is their best team beat by the team that's playing tonight. And one thing is for sure, if Penn state wins than Michigan doesn't deserve a shot in the top 4

Exactly and it ain't looking good for the ghost of Joe Pa right now.

Exactly and it ain't looking good for the ghost of Joe Pa right now.

it makes me sad. It'd be nice to see Penn State with a shot. I have a bunch of friends there and it must suck right now; saw one of them on camera earlier when they showed the former players.

Wisconsin is making this CFP selection conflict free, that's for sure, unless Virginia Tech wins. Thank God. With losses by Navy and looks to be Penn State, the bowls and CFP are both pretty straightforward. IF Virginia Tech wins, who is the #4 seed? Michigan? Wisconsin? I say Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is making this CFP selection conflict free, that's for sure, unless Virginia Tech wins. Thank God. With losses by Navy and looks to be Penn State, the bowls and CFP are both pretty straightforward. IF Virginia Tech wins, who is the #4 seed? Michigan? Wisconsin? I say Wisconsin.

For me it's Michigan under the scenario , HTH win does it. The title is meaningless because Wisco didn't beat the 2 best teams from the east OSU and Mich.

...or Clemson. I have no idea. All would be viable 2 loss teams with different strengths on their resumes.

Good to see State Penn getting their asses handed to them.

they're a great second half team. But your underlying comment implies that these athletes who were 2 when the Sandusky incident happened or that anyone currently involved with the program had anything to do with it then...

Maybe you should be upset at the boosters of PSU. The Regula's, for example.

Otherwise, your logic is specious and cute. Its a lot of butthurt, honestly. Let it go, let it go, don't hold it back anymore...

gotta be the Badgers. I don't think Penn state is done yet, nor do I see vt just laying down. Clemson is a flawed team that's not traditionally accustomed to winning whe it matters

Clemson seems to be everyone's lust though.

Edited by Boyst62

Good to see State Penn getting their asses handed to them.

I'm a PSU fan, but how can anyone appreciate McSorley's stupid home run hit/salute when scoring a touchdown that brings them to a fourteen point deficit? It's kind of obnoxious for a QB. Then again I probably just sound like an old man lost in the past.

I'm a PSU fan, but how can anyone appreciate McSorley's stupid home run hit/salute when scoring a touchdown that brings them to a fourteen point deficit? It's kind of obnoxious for a QB. Then again I probably just sound like an old man lost in the past.

I gave up on that celebration gimmick when manziel money signed