CFB Playoff Rankings

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The debate is basically between Washington and PSU at 4... PSU has more losses but Washington's ooc schedule 2nd to worst in country. I still think huskies get in due to 1 loss to good USC team and dominant 31-point CCG victory.

PSU vs USC Rose Bowl, not too shabby

OSU and Clemson could flip flop...to give the Conf champ the higher seed. All that changes though is the color of the unis in Phoenix.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The debate is basically between Washington and PSU at 4... PSU has more losses but Washington's ooc schedule 2nd to worst in country. I still think huskies get in due to 1 loss to good USC team and dominant 31-point CCG victory.

OSU and Clemson could flip flop...to give the Conf champ the higher seed. All that changes though is the color of the unis in Phoenix.

Agreed, I think that Washington gets in. They were already ahead and destroyed a top 10 team. I know ESPN has some people saying PSU over UW but I just can't see it.

I think Michigan is better than Washington but they wanted to appease the Pac 12. Michigan was 2 inches from beating Ohio St which would have made them #2.

However they didn't so Go Ohio St, BIG 10 rules!!

Meh. Still a beauty contest. If you want a true national champion, have all 7 FBS conference champs and one at-large play for a title.

:thumbsup:

I want 32 teams but that is down the road :thumbsup:

It has never made sense to me as to why this isn't the system. Have a wildcard in there to make 8 teams if you must but the conference champions of each conference should get the chance to play for the National Title.

The whole ranking system and bowl game qualifications just seems totally bonkers to a non-American looking in from the outside.

it is to us too, but it's the Good Ol Boys Club from yrs gone by that still wants to maintain the old bowl system, which does give more money to more schools overall because of the ridiculous amount of bowls.

OSU being in there is a national tragedy.

:blink::wacko::excl: are you talking about?

They may have lost a game but they are clearly one of the best teams in the country.

I don't know if you are trolling or just a hater but they have THE strongest resume in the country. That does not mean that they should be #1; that is definitely Bama. The Buckeyes beat the number 5, number 6 and number 8 teams (2 of which were on the road). They beat another team that was ranked in the top 10 at the time 62-3. Their only loss was in overtime, on the road, to the #7 team who blocked a punt and returned a FG block for a TD in the game. It would be impossible to leave OSU out when they clearly have done what's needed to get in.

Fortunately, the committee has common sense and has some criteria that they use to break ties. The Buckeyes aren't in a tiebreaking scenario as they are a tier ahead of those other teams in the eyes of the committee.

All this

Im confused.

you're thinking too hard, just enjoy the greatness. Although I think Washington gets Killed by Alabama, which is why the committee should replace them with Michigan if they want the 4 best teams. In college records don't always portray who is better as there can be quite a difference in talent from one team to the next.

you're thinking too hard, just enjoy the greatness. Although I think Washington gets Killed by Alabama, which is why the committee should replace them with Michigan if they want the 4 best teams. In college records don't always portray who is better as there can be quite a difference in talent from one team to the next.

Michigan can pack their bags for the Poinsettia Bowl Barbarian, that ship sailed last week.

I really am neutral in all this, but if you look at the last 7-8 weeks, it seems like a no-brainer, PSU is the best team in the Big 10.

OSU did not win the Michigan game, it was handed to them, and the big M just has no claim. They have two conference losses, finished 3rd in their division, etc., etc. The team that won the conference should go; especially when the only other real option is a team they beat--and Michigan is not the other "real" option. Have fun in San Diego U of M.

Michigan can pack their bags for the Poinsettia Bowl Barbarian, that ship sailed last week.

I really am neutral in all this, but if you look at the last 7-8 weeks, it seems like a no-brainer, PSU is the best team in the Big 10.

OSU did not win the Michigan game, it was handed to them, and the big M just has no claim. They have two conference losses, finished 3rd in their division, etc., etc. The team that won the conference should go; especially when the only other real option is a team they beat--and Michigan is not the other "real" option. Have fun in San Diego U of M.

I can see ditching Washington for sure. Garbage conference.

quit our own whinning. They won, they deserve a shot

The problem is they have 2 losses. They would be leaving out either a 1 loss conference champ (Washington) or a 1 loss team with the strongest resume in the country (OSU). PSU has had a solid season but I'd be really surprised if they are in the playoff. I think that they play USC in the Rose Bowl.

The problem is they have 2 losses. They would be leaving out either a 1 loss conference champ (Washington) or a 1 loss team with the strongest resume in the country (OSU). PSU has had a solid season but I'd be really surprised if they are in the playoff. I think that they play USC in the Rose Bowl.

PSU deserves it over tosu, but both deserve it over Washington.

And Washington is this yrs Clemson.

Edited by Boyst62

PSU deserves it over tosu, but both deserve it over Washington.

And Washington is this yrs Clemson.

It's tough but OSU has 3 top 10 wins and 1 loss (on the road, in overtime, on a blocked FG, to a top 6 team). PSU has that 39 point loss to a team that OSU beat. If they BOTH had 2 losses maybe so but with OSU having just 1 loss I'd be surprised as is.

Washington is a weird case. They have looked great at times and have a ton of talent at the skill positions. At the same time, their out of conference schedule is ranked 127 of 128 and the best team that they played manhandled them. An argument could be made for PSU over them but after being 2 spots ahead of them and blowing out a top 10 team I don't see them dropping.

We will know in an hour I guess.

This is what it should look like:

(1) Alabama vs (8) Florida St

(2) Ohio St vs (7) Michigan

(3) Clemson vs (6) Oklahoma

(4) Washington vs (5) Penn State

You're not leaving out anybody who has a realistic chance to become champion by winning 3 straight against that level of competition.

And you get a big ol' pile of awesome football games.

Edited by Simon

Conference championships should mean something. They should take the top 4 conference champs and that's it.

the Big 10 actually tried to get the committee to adopt that approach, but they voted against it in favor of taking the top 4 teams. Here is the decision making procedures for anyone interested :

http://d30ratpzqzalg7.cloudfront.net/CD-drupal-cfp-PROD/s3fs-public/CFP%20Selection%20Committee%20Protocol.pdf?tV3FOZ68If3qops3X7XJQFmkEd00PiAY

The conference championships are fun and they make money, but they aren't a huge factor in the CFB playoff.

Edited by YoloinOhio

You're not leaving out anybody who has a realistic chance to become champion by winning 3 straight against that level of competition.

:thumbsup:

Conference championships should mean something. They should take the top 4 conference champs and that's it.

I think if you limit it to that then every year you leave out at least one or two teams who would have a legitimate chance to win a championship. When you also factor in the disparity in the strength of the conferences, you don't end up with the best 4 teams either i.e. I don't think any Pac-12 champ is as good as the 2nd place teams in the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Eight is just enough to get in any team who has earned a real shot.

Plus we get twice as much football to watch!

Edited by Simon

I don't know if anyone but the die hard TTUP fan wants to play tOSU. Most I know would have them losing twice. I'd think most people would rather see PSU/TTUP.

I'd move clemson to 2 against ichigan. Thatd be a good draw and tOSU @ 3 against Oklahoma.

I think if you limit it to that then every year you leave out at least one or two teams who would have a legitimate chance to win a championship. When you also factor in the disparity in the strength of the conferences, you don't end up with the best 4 teams either i.e. I don't think any Pac-12 champ is as good as the 2nd place teams in the Big 10, SEC, etc.

agreed. The Boise State of a few yrs ago. The oncein a while surging MAC schools, etc. And then you'd simply have teams in the 4 conferences playing nobodies and not concerned with winning when their out of conference wins mean nothing

if I recall correctly KD you're a ND fan... just wondering how they would ever get in with what you are suggesting. They aren't in a conference, and not every conference names a champion.

The Boise State of a few yrs ago. The oncein a while surging MAC schools, etc. And then you'd simply have teams in the 4 conferences playing nobodies and not concerned with winning when their out of conference wins mean nothing

You could also add to that list a couple regulars from the Big12 and a team like Houston in the next year or two.

If they pick the best 8, you don't have to make a hard/fast rule that all 5 power conference winners get in every year, because they're almost always going to get in anyways. But at least leave the option open to put one of those MAC schools in there, or three SEC teams, or leave out WVU if they win the Big 12 with several losses.

PAC 12 is garbage

Penn State isn't going to the playoff. They MAY jump UM to go to the Rose Bowl. The playoff is the 3 one loss teams and Alabama.

May? That's absurd Edited by joesixpack

if I recall correctly KD you're a ND fan... just wondering how they would ever get in with what you are suggesting. They aren't in a conference, and not every conference names a champion.

I didn't mean to imply the committee couldn't take a non-power 5 conference champ or an Independent in lieu of a potentially less deserving power 5 champ.

The very least psu deserves is the rose bowl.

Honestly, I'd rather see them in Pasadena with a chance to end an incredible season on a positive note, than to get pantsed by Alabama in front of 20 million people.

Correct. I think it should be based on the results on the field, not the subjective view of who the four 'best' teams might be. A team that wasn't good enough to win it's own conference isn't deserving. PSU beat OSU and won the big 10; they should get in over OSU.

And what's the point of having a huge Michigan-OSU or Alabama-LSU game in late November if both are going to be put in the playoff anyway? I think college should be different than how it works with the pros.

Edited by KD in CA

Correct. I think it should be based on the results on the field, not the subjective view of who the four 'best' teams might be. A team that wasn't good enough to win it's own conference isn't deserving. PSU beat OSU and won the big 10; they should get in over OSU.

What's the point of having a huge Michigan-OSU or Alabama-LSU game in late November if both are going to be put in the playoff anyway? I think college should be different than how it works with the pros.

Then how could a non power 5 or independent get in? It would be 4 of the 5 conference champs and STILL subjective as to which is the worst power 5 conference. The resume has to determine it and PSU has a solid one, just not as good as OSU. It may be better than UW but they have 2 losses vs. UW having 1.

The PSU story is a great one but I just don't see it. We will know soon enough...

He's missing it for the birth of his grandchild?

I'm heading to the OSU message board.........

theozone.net

Urban's first grandchild is named Troy. Touching tribute to his first natty

Oh snap that's not right Yolo

Edited by YoloinOhio

Then how could a non power 5 or independent get in? It would be 4 of the 5 conference champs and STILL subjective as to which is the worst power 5 conference. The resume has to determine it and PSU has a solid one, just not as good as OSU. It may be better than UW but they have 2 losses vs. UW having 1.

The PSU story is a great one but I just don't see it. We will know soon enough...

If they determined a non-power 5 champ or an Independent was one of the four most deserving teams (obviously not the case this year). Of course there is still going to be some subjectivity in the process but you remove a lot of it if you say only conference champs (or an Independent) are eligible.

And what's the point of having a huge Michigan-OSU or Alabama-LSU game in late November if both are going to be put in the playoff anyway? I think college should be different than how it works with the pros.

The FCS manages to have a legitimate playoff system.