CFB Playoff Rankings

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only game that really matters is Washington minus 7 vs Colorado it appears. Looks to be the only question and they're solid favorites.

Idk, I believe the Penn St. and Wisconsin game could factor in as well as long as Penn St. wins.

Meh. Still a beauty contest. If you want a true national champion, have all 7 FBS conference champs and one at-large play for a title.

It has never made sense to me as to why this isn't the system. Have a wildcard in there to make 8 teams if you must but the conference champions of each conference should get the chance to play for the National Title.

The whole ranking system and bowl game qualifications just seems totally bonkers to a non-American looking in from the outside.

It has never made sense to me as to why this isn't the system. Have a wildcard in there to make 8 teams if you must but the conference champions of each conference should get the chance to play for the National Title.

The whole ranking system and bowl game qualifications just seems totally bonkers to a non-American looking in from the outside.

The reason they don't just do this in CFB (the top 4 conference champs, given the current format) is because of unbalanced schedules. While it is possible, it wouldn't automatically provide the best 4 teams (determined based on overall season-long resume). That is why they have a committee. They examine every win and every loss and circumstances within. A conference championship is a factor (along with head-to-head, SOS rank, and result of common opponents), but they are only used when there needs to be a tie-breaker between teams they view as too close to call. Not as an overall criteria in selection.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The reason they don't just do this in CFB (the top 4 conference champs, given the current format) is because of unbalanced schedules. While it is possible, it wouldn't automatically provide the best 4 teams. That is why they have a committee. A conference championship is a factor, but only when there needs to be a tie-breaker between teams they view as too close to call. Not as an overall criteria in selection.

Well reform the scheduling structure then. And if two of the best teams are in the same conference and one of them doesn't make the play-offs..... well boo-hoo. That is sport.

Idk, I believe the Penn St. and Wisconsin game could factor in as well as long as Penn St. wins.

Wisconsin winning would also have a chance to overtake Clemson or Washington if either lose, given that they are currently ranked ahead of PSU. However, it would need to be a very convincing win for either one or Michigan will take that 4th spot.

Well reform the scheduling structure then. And if two of the best teams are in the same conference and one of them doesn't make the play-offs..... well boo-hoo. That is sport.

This is why the CFB selection process is set up to encourage schools to schedule strong out of conference opponents. They are a resume builder. The programs know this. But, the scheduling is done so many years ahead that while a school can seem like a formidable opponent now, by the time you play they could be unranked. For example, Wisconsin beat LSU which should be considered a good win most years but they just fell out of the top 25.

The goal is the put the 4 best teams in the playoff. When you don't do that, you get MSU getting demolished 41-0 in the semis to Bama last year. Look at this year - where best case scenario, the Big 10, Pac12, and ACC CCG winners will combine for the same # of top 10 wins as OSU.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Even if some of those conferences have zero ranked teams, one should go to the playoffs?

I think what I am suggesting - though my knowledge of the logistics is limited - is a pretty fundamental re-think of the system that gets away from rankings altogether.

It just seems insane to an outsider that the national champion has some relationship to who a bunch of experts think is the best team.

I think what I am suggesting - though my knowledge of the logistics is limited - is a pretty fundamental re-think of the system that gets away from rankings altogether.

It just seems insane to an outsider that the national champion has some relationship to who a bunch of experts think is the best team.

while CFB and NFL are extremely different in how they determine playoff teams, I personally don't think one is "better" than the other. Both have pros and cons. The fact that CFB even has any type of playoff system at all now is a huge change from how it was pre-2014.

while CFB and NFL are extremely different in how they determine playoff teams, I personally don't think one is "better" than the other. Both have pros and cons. The fact that CFB even has any type of playoff system at all now is a huge change from how it was pre-2014.

The freaking FCS manages to have a full playoff system in place with a LOT more teams to boot.

FBS is a joke in that regard.

Someone said it earlier, if the best two teams are in the same conference then the team that beats the other advances. Earn your shot on the field, not in a conference room. And all 7 FBS conferences should be included. Champion vs champion till one remains. The one at-large slot will get the most deserving independent or mon-conference team.

But we all now the reason it's not this way is because the networks don't care about fairness. Only money.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

OSU being in there is a national tragedy.

I don't know if you are trolling or just a hater but they have THE strongest resume in the country. That does not mean that they should be #1; that is definitely Bama. The Buckeyes beat the number 5, number 6 and number 8 teams (2 of which were on the road). They beat another team that was ranked in the top 10 at the time 62-3. Their only loss was in overtime, on the road, to the #7 team who blocked a punt and returned a FG block for a TD in the game. It would be impossible to leave OSU out when they clearly have done what's needed to get in.

Fortunately, the committee has common sense and has some criteria that they use to break ties. The Buckeyes aren't in a tiebreaking scenario as they are a tier ahead of those other teams in the eyes of the committee.

I don't know if you are trolling or just a hater but they have THE strongest resume in the country. That does not mean that they should be #1; that is definitely Bama. The Buckeyes beat the number 5, number 6 and number 8 teams (2 of which were on the road). They beat another team that was ranked in the top 10 at the time 62-3. Their only loss was in overtime, on the road, to the #7 team who blocked a punt and returned a FG block for a TD in the game. It would be impossible to leave OSU out when they clearly have done what's needed to get in.

Fortunately, the committee has common sense and has some criteria that they use to break ties. The Buckeyes aren't in a tiebreaking scenario as they are a tier ahead of those other teams in the eyes of the committee.

The double speak from OSU alumni is always entertaining.

The double speak from OSU alumni is always entertaining.

I'm not an alum and I'm not sure what you are disputing? Even the analysts that don't care for them agree that they belong.

I tried to lay out their resume for you. Feel free to stack the 4 superior resumes up if they don't belong.

Lot's of one-off finger pointing to games that really doesn't matter. Very simply, even with a bad Alabama beat, they're in. So they're the #1 seed or they're the #4 seed. Really doesn't matter. Ohio State doesn't play anyone. They move up to #1 if Alabama loses or stay at #2 if they don't. That just leaves 2 spots no matter how you look at it. Clemson is a 10 point favorite over Florida and Washington is a 7 point favorite over Colorado. If Washington and Clemson win their games, I don't think it matters whether #6 Wisconsin or #7 Penn State win the Big Ten. The winner jumps Michigan no matter what. Colorado is #8 though, so if they were to win over Washinton, they would have a good argument to move up as well. People can go back and B word and moan about schedule and it doesn't really matter all that much. Oklahoma would love to jump over Colorado, the Big Ten Champion, Washington, and Clemson, but that scenario could be less likely than me winning a Powerball lottery. My CFP comes down to:

Alabama - in no matter what

Ohio State - in no matter what

Clemson - in with a win, out with a loss

Washington - in with a win, out with a loss

Michigan - out

Wisconsin - in with a win and some help

Penn State - in with a win and some help

Colorado - in with a win and some help

Again, I appreciate I am coming at this from an outsiders perspective. I never played college sport in the US where ranking systems are common. I have always played and coached in a European system where you wanted a shot you earned it on the field.

Ohio State wants to be in - don't lose to Penn State. Michigan wants to be in - don't lose to Ohio State. If you are your conference champion you should not be sat at home while a team in your conference go to the dance.

A win is a win is a win is a win. That might be my cultural upringing but there are no style points. You earn your success with wins and Championships. If you are not the Champion of your own conference how can you be champions of the Nation?

Championship sport is not about finding the best team it is about finding the team that wins when the stakes are highest.

And I don't object to Ohio State. I think they are better than Penn State.... but when the two competed on a football field Ohio State lost. Welcome to sport. The best team sometimes loses.

Again, I appreciate I am coming at this from an outsiders perspective. I never played college sport in the US where ranking systems are common. I have always played and coached in a European system where you wanted a shot you earned it on the field.

Ohio State wants to be in - don't lose to Penn State. Michigan wants to be in - don't lose to Ohio State. If you are your conference champion you should not be sat at home while a team in your conference go to the dance.

A win is a win is a win is a win. That might be my cultural upringing but there are no style points. You earn your success with wins and Championships. If you are not the Champion of your own conference how can you be champions of the Nation?

Championship sport is not about finding the best team it is about finding the team that wins when the stakes are highest.

And I don't object to Ohio State. I think they are better than Penn State.... but when the two competed on a football field Ohio State lost. Welcome to sport. The best team sometimes loses.

Penn State has 2 losses. Head to to head, conf champ doesn't come into play unless teams are equal... they lost too many games Edited by YoloinOhio

Whoa!..... so OSU are 11-1 and Penn State are 10-2 and Penn State are in the Championship game? How?

Big 10 has two divisions. PSU, OSU and Michigan are all in big 10 east division. OSU beat Michigan who beat PSU who beat OSU. Hence PSU to CCG vs big 10 west winner Wisky.

Someone said it earlier, if the best two teams are in the same conference then the team that beats the other advances. Earn your shot on the field, not in a conference room. And all 7 FBS conferences should be included. Champion vs champion till one remains. The one at-large slot will get the most deserving independent or mon-conference team.

But we all now the reason it's not this way is because the networks don't care about fairness. Only money.

There are more than 7.

Also, you think the MAC or the SWAC or the C-USA should have a team in the playoffs because they are in the same designation (Div 1-A) as the big 5?

Why would anyone want that in an 8 team playoff? What would be the point? Why shouldn't it be for the top 8 teams in the country?

Im confused.

PSU & Michigan have 2 total losses. OSU has 1 total loss. PSU has 1 big 10 loss and 1 non-big 10 loss (vs. Pitt). Michigan has 2 conference losses. All that matters when determining conference championships is your conference record. So the top of the Big 10 East is PSU & OSU with 1 conference loss each. The 1st tiebreaker is head-to-head (not total win percentage) so PSU represents the Big 10 East.

Not to make it more confusing but Wisconsin has 2 total losses and BOTH were in conference (OSU and Michigan). Since they play in the Big 10 west they are on the other side of the bracket and advanced to the title game.

I'm not sure if that makes sense but that's how it happened (hence the chaos).

There are more than 7.

Also, you think the MAC or the SWAC or the C-USA should have a team in the playoffs because they are in the same designation (Div 1-A) as the big 5?

Why would anyone want that in an 8 team playoff? What would be the point? Why shouldn't it be for the top 8 teams in the country?

If it ever went to 8, it should remain the 8 best teams as you suggest.

Honestly guys from an outside looking in the system is insane.

If you want it to be even more confusing, maybe the most important factor is who you play that isn't in your conference. Washington played 3 bad teams (scheduled years in advance). They are sitting with 1 total loss but could (although unlikely) get jumped by a 2 loss team even with a win.

If they do lose Colorado would have 2 losses but be the conference champ. Michigan beat Colorado by 3 scores but finished 3rd in their half of their own division. Who goes then? Does The Big 10 champ go (PSU or Wisconsin), the PAC 12 champ (Colorado) or Michigan who beat all 3 of them?

If you want it to be even more confusing, maybe the most important factor is who you play that isn't in your conference. Washington played 3 bad teams (scheduled years in advance). They are sitting with 1 total loss but could (although unlikely) get jumped by a 2 loss team even with a win.

If they do lose Colorado would have 2 losses but be the conference champ. Michigan beat Colorado by 3 scores but finished 3rd in their half of their own division. Who goes then? Does The Big 10 champ go (PSU or Wisconsin), the PAC 12 champ (Colorado) or Michigan who beat all 3 of them?

Haha. I have no idea Kirby. I should be clear in the current system Ohio State are certainties. I just think the system is ripe and overdue for reform.

Haha. I have no idea Kirby. I should be clear in the current system Ohio State are certainties. I just think the system is ripe and overdue for reform.

Yeah, this year has been nuts. As weird as this sounds, the committee seems to be on top of it. It's not perfect, BUT if Washington and Clemson win this week the 4 most deserving teams will go. The final 4 will be comprised of the only power 5 teams with 0 or 1 loss.

A little controversy to discuss doesn't hurt the interest level of the sport either. Not as cut and dry as the NFL,but the chaos can be very interesting to talk about. The best team ends up winning in the end anyway for the most part.

Yeah, this year has been nuts. As weird as this sounds, the committee seems to be on top of it. It's not perfect, BUT if Washington and Clemson win this week the 4 most deserving teams will go. The final 4 will be comprised of the only power 5 teams with 0 or 1 loss.

That does seem right but in which case the conference Championship match ups are a) bonkers and b) pointless.

Edited by GunnerBill

That does seem right but in which case the conference Championship match ups are a) bonkers and b) pointless.

they can be somewhat pointless when it comes to selecting the 4 team playoff but many times they are exciting for the schools who don't compete year in and year out for a NC, this is next best thing. Helps recruiting, etc.

Also it's not just the championship itself that can launch a team possibly into a playoff spot as a tiebreaker, it's adding an extra game to your resume. If Wisconsin wins say 59-0 vs the #7 team in the country, I'm guessing they could jump Michigan who they lost to head to head and maybe get in the playoff if Clemson or UDub lose.

Edited by YoloinOhio

they can be somewhat pointless when it comes to selecting the 4 team playoff but many times they are exciting for the schools who don't compete year in and year out for a NC, this is next best thing. Helps recruiting, etc.

It is just very different to anything I am used to. I can't believe now that if you were sitting down today with a blank sheet of paper to design a system you would design this.