Bills have signed Logan Thomas off Lions PS to convert to TE

YoloinOhio

Which means we must feel confident in his ability to become a good TE, and we must feel good about our current roster makeup of the other 52 guys (ability and health) - just to play devils advocate to your negative Nancy

And maybe we also think we can use him this season in spots, like yolo said above, in the red zone if for nothing else than to force D to account for his size

Of those 53 only 46 are active on game day. Maybe he's more useful than a 2nd kicker?

It's not crazy for teams to add high upside guys to their active roster. That is how you snipe them from a PS. At the same time, teams often try to bring guys up from the PS to protect them from being sniped. With Powell and Bryant going on IR and Seantrel suspended the spots were there. I think that they only have been playing 2 TEs so it isn't like the position had a ton of depth anyways.

Yep that TE spot has been in flux all season since Gragg got hurt. They've been shuffling that Blake Christian guy back and forth.

I was just playing Devil's Advocate and found no takers for the NNN point of view.

I do think it's a high price - in a manner of speaking - for a project TE. But Whaley and his folks moved so quickly on this it almost seems like they were just waiting for him to convert to TE. Apparently they see a lot of upside.

I'm curious if the Bills will find ways to get him on the field this year, as PM suggested.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just playing Devil's Advocate and found no takers for the NNN point of view.

I do think it's a high price - in a manner of speaking - for a project TE. But Whaley and his folks moved so quickly on this it almost seems like they were just waiting for him to convert to TE. Apparently they see a lot of upside.

I'm curious if the Bills will find ways to get him on the field this year, as PM suggested.

I wonder on this too. I suppose that they may use him down in the red zone with his combination of size and athleticism. I don't see him playing much, if at all, other than that. I would anticipate him being inactive for now. It was a shot worth taking.

Can Logan Thomas be the Buffalo Bills' version of Terrelle Pryor? He has lofty goals:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/can_logan_thomas_be_the_buffalo_bills_version_of_terrelle_pryor.html

Their paths/stories are remarkably similar. It would be an absolute steal if this happens.

I get that a top HS QB prospect could turn into a TE. How does a top TE prospect turn into a QB? That's odd.

lol. He didn't play TE in HS. That's the position many teams wanted him to play in college when they recruited him (instead of QB). Happens a lot. If the recruit is stuck on playing a certain position then they will go somewhere that convinces them they will give them the chance to do that.

Manziel comes to mind as an example.

Edited by YoloinOhio

TE could be a option for EJ also. David Lee on with Murph said he's making good progress at QB, (not just hard count)

Sure--everyone is a TE!

It's not like good TEs haven't been available in the draft the past several years, yet the Bills have to overpay for free agents and look for gold on other teams' PS--for converted QBs, no less.

lol. He didn't play TE in HS. That's the position many teams wanted him to play in college when they recruited him (instead of QB). Happens a lot. If the recruit is stuck on playing a certain position then they will go somewhere that convinces them they will give them the chance to do that.

Thanks, that makes at least some sense. So, basically he's another stubborn QB. At least he's not Tebow-stubborn. Hope he figures out the position and we have a mini-miracle! (If "mini" can be 6'6" and 250#.)

Thanks, that makes at least some sense. So, basically he's another stubborn QB. At least he's not Tebow-stubborn. Hope he figures out the position and we have a mini-miracle! (If "mini" can be 6'6" and 250#.)

To be fair, he was on NFL payrolls as a QB until about a week ago (AZ, MIA, then NYG). So he wasn't the only one who believed.

A good example is Jim Kelly - Penn State wanted him to play linebacker and he choose to go to Miami (Northern Cuba) instead so he could play QB.

i did think of someone who made the switch from WR to QB on college - Ryan Tannehill. Not sure what he played in HS. Probably QB.