A few thoughts about the Jags Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

I wasn't focused on Hughes much this game but geez, what has happened to his pass rush? There was very little pressure from him or Lorax and Bortles had a lot of time most of the time. It helped Bortles get room to run when the secondary and line backers got deeper.

The first half I was not enamored with anyone on either line but Dareus (in the 2nd quarter anyway). At least they made some corrections and sucked it up and played a little more passionately in the 2nd half. The defense looks really shaky and they need much better focus and performance the next 2 games. Their safeties really look cluless.

I watched him quite a bit. Turned the corner on the RT a few times but did not get to Bortles. Nothing when rushing against the LT and got engulfed on stunts several times. Did ok against the run. The entire line was C- except Dareus. Even Kyle missed some plays where he got penetration. Lawson got abused on the read option. He is only a year out from college where they see that play 10-20 times a game. Sad. Lawson looks big (borderline fat) and slow. Typical Rex OLB. At this point his only position is a 4-3 nickel DE.

This. Did anyone even touch Watkins on that int/Pi ?

Was watching on phone that and the Gilmore pi looked sketchy but I'll take it.

The announcers were so sure he got mugged but i didnt see anything. I thought the no call on Gilmore was way more egregious.

Just want to say Lorax hasn't disappeared, just hasn't had the sacks. He stayed disciplined on anew outside run play and forced it back in which led to a punt in a crucial situation. I forget the specifics but I remember praising his play in the game thread.

The announcers were so sure he got mugged but i didnt see anything. I thought the no call on Gilmore was way more egregious.

No one seems to mention the WR driving Gilmore back with a fully extended arm push, before Gilmore grabbed the WR. I believe the official just felt they were both blatantly interfering with each other, and let it go...and that is how a play like that SHOULD be called.

There was a time when I would have wanted an explanation of "offsetting penalties", but the way games now are dragged down with so many flags, I'm fine with an official just keeping it in his pocket, and moving on.

Edited by HoF Watkins

No one seems to mention the WR driving Gilmore back with a fully extended arm push, before Gilmore grabbed the WR. I believe the official just felt they were both blatantly interfering with each other, and let it go...and that is how a play like that SHOULD be called.

There was a time when I would have wanted an explanation of "offsetting penalties", but the way games now are dragged down with so many flags, I'm fine with an official just keeping it in his pocket, and moving on.

Fully agree. Why does no one mention the big push off that would have freed him for the easy catch.

I'm surprised the refs let it go. But what was Gilmore supposed to do? If he doesn't hold, it's an easy catch.

I wasn't focused on Hughes much this game but geez, what has happened to his pass rush? There was very little pressure from him or Lorax and Bortles had a lot of time most of the time. It helped Bortles get room to run when the secondary and line backers got deeper.

The first half I was not enamored with anyone on either line but Dareus (in the 2nd quarter anyway). At least they made some corrections and sucked it up and played a little more passionately in the 2nd half. The defense looks really shaky and they need much better focus and performance the next 2 games. Their safeties really look cluless.

I have been wondering the same thing, it seems as if Jerry Hughes has been MIA--except for the occasional stupid penalty, that part of his game has not diminished.

So, is it him, or is it our Defensive Coaching geniuses who seem to have a knack for making great players disappear?

It was before the ball arrived, held.

What? Can't handle the sexy?

Sexy, not the word I had for it: Scary?

Edited by CSBill

it was a win. dang do we not have a tight end? we paid gobs of gelt for one. if we ain't going to use him why pay top dollar? the tight end is usually a qb best friend a la the stinking pats. is it our offense not wanting to use clay or is tt not getting it?

7. Jags Defense - I know it's not normal to talk about the other team here, but man did their defense impress me. They are FAST!. They swarm to the ball. Their HC is probably going to get the boot at the end of the year and I feel bad for him because the next guy is going to look like a genius fast if he can make some tweaks.

I agree. I wonder who that next guy is? Someone who fancies himself a miracle worker? A saint, for instance...?

I don't think we saw enough of the watkins play or from the right angles. On the gilmore play, robinson grabbed him and pushed him too. It usually gets called against the D because the league favors offense, but in a just world it's a no call. The world was just yesterday, at least on that play. Otherwise, the Jags got pretty screwed on a couple of key plays.

it was a win. dang do we not have a tight end? we paid gobs of gelt for one. if we ain't going to use him why pay top dollar? the tight end is usually a qb best friend a la the stinking pats. is it our offense not wanting to use clay or is tt not getting it?

TT not getting it. Clay is open all over the field.

It appears to me that the early season D, where Hughes, Lorax, the Brown Brothers, et al, were playing out of their minds, began to fall off from that level with the addition of Lawson and Dareus. Don't know if their presence is the reason or if it is coincidental. Maybe opponents have figured out how to handle the Bills, maybe the guys are nicked up or tired.

I watched him quite a bit. Turned the corner on the RT a few times but did not get to Bortles. Nothing when rushing against the LT and got engulfed on stunts several times. Did ok against the run. The entire line was C- except Dareus. Even Kyle missed some plays where he got penetration. Lawson got abused on the read option. He is only a year out from college where they see that play 10-20 times a game. Sad. Lawson looks big (borderline fat) and slow. Typical Rex OLB. At this point his only position is a 4-3 nickel DE.

He missed the entire off-season - give the guy a break. Lorax and Z Brown both lost contain on huge bortles runs too..

TT not getting it. Clay is open all over the field.

I dunno what happened in the 2nd half but he seemed to switch it on a bit more. The 7 carries for like -5 yards on the first 4 drives of the game put them in bad down and distance plays.

As bad as he was playing - running on every 1st down when you're losing yards and ground is not the answer. You have to start to try and get them guessing.

even some of those quick play action passes to TEs on 1st downs would go a long way. We were getting swarmed in the run game, so use that aggressiveness against them on 1st downs.

With Tyrod, you just have to evaluate him in the proper context. For every open receiver he misses, or throw that is off the mark, he makes an amazing play with his legs that almost no other QB can make. He giveth, he taketh away. He's not a traditional pocket passer and never will be - but I remain convinced (and I'm certain Rex is convinced) that they can win games with him.

The missed TD to O'Leary is a microcosm of TT. A better throw and it is a TD. A more talented TE and it is a TD.

I thought it was a good throw where only O'Leary could catch it and he didn't extend his arms. IMO. I remember turning to my brother and saying, "that was actually one of TT's better throws".

Thanks for the write up Virgil!! Whats up with the avi tho?

You are spot on with the TD to O-Leary scenario.

Hell yeah! Whatever 2nd half adjustments the OFF made were great. Last year our 2nd half adjustments on OFF sucked donkey testes

( •_•)

∫\ \____( •_•)

_∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Our halftime adjustments have been emabarrassing for AT LEAST ten years. They have been much improved the last 5 or 6 weeks. Rex has made some improvements in his coaching. BUT, IMO he has more improvements to go. But, pleasantly surprised with halftime adjustments on both side of the ball the last two months.

5 safeties to IR makes your safety play looks bad.. cause theyre you know actually bad.

We only had two maybe 3 servicable safeties to start. AW, Graham and Duke Williams in certain situations (and, ideally he would not be on the team). What 5 safeties are on IR that hampered us?

Serious question. I know of AW and Blanton (who has been bad all year).

With Tyrod, you just have to evaluate him in the proper context. For every open receiver he misses, or throw that is off the mark, he makes an amazing play with his legs that almost no other QB can make. He giveth, he taketh away. He's not a traditional pocket passer and never will be - but I remain convinced (and I'm certain Rex is convinced) that they can win games with him.

I am a Tyrod fan and I hear what you are saying, but I do not think they have figured out how to capitalize on his mobility and expand his range of plays. The closest they have come is wild cat plays and QB options, that make you think you are watching a college game. Until he can utilize multiple receivers and not just play on legs and guts, he will win games but not championships. If he can find his groove I will be delighted.

Many receivers on other teams seem to routinely catch passes that are not perfectly targeted. I mean the ones pulled up almost from the carpet or hooked in with one hand to the body from behind, not out of bounds or three feet over their head. :rolleyes:

IF they make the playoffs, it will be a major feat, but they will be eliminated in the first round. I am making this judgement by watching the best teams that can play four solid quarters.

Edited by rockpile

I enjoyed watching Jalen Ramsey get embarrassed by Shady on that 75yd run. Then get embarrassed by Sammy on the 62yd catch.

Welcome to the NFL, loudmouth.

It wasn't Ramsey. You can't have two players covering the same gap.

“It’s a D-gap running play where the running back cut back; we had two guys at the point of attack and didn’t get the job done,” Bradley said. “The corner [Ramsey] is on the outside fitting of the D-gap and the safety [Gipson] is on the inside fitting of the D-gap. If they were both on the outside of the D-gap, then they’re wrong. I don’t know if that helps you.”

http://jacksonville.com/jaguars/2016-11-28/jaguars-notebook-who-blame-mccoy-75-yard-td-run

Kind of a shame Tyrod didn't get the ball to Sammy more than three times all game.