A few thoughts about the Seattle Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

A Primetime Bills game meant a few things going into the game. We are going to show some great flashes. Someone on the other team is going to play out of their mind. The Refs are going to do something stupid. And we will lose in normal BS or gut-wrenching fashion.

With that, I'm going to try and keep this to the end results and try not to get too into the shoulda, coulda, woulda's.....

1 - Goodwin. While not any amazing plays that are going to jump out at you on a stat sheet, we was a big part of this offense. He ran deep a lot (Harvin too) which spread the field and allowed a lot of underneath throws. More importantly, he seems to have become TT's escape valve, finding ways to come back to him and make some great sideline catches. I'm really impressed with his development this year and hope to see more from him.

I know Woods had 10 catches for over 150 yards. That's nothing to sneeze at. He was the rock out there. Just makes the loss so much harder when it overshadows what these guys were able to do.

2 - Runningbacks - Debate whether or not they ran the ball too little or not, there's a lot to talk about here. Gilly seemed to get the 2/3rd's of the snaps in the first half with it evening out to 50/50 in the second half. Both ran well. The passing game was going well enough where I personally couldn't get upset at the pass/run ratio. I wonder how much of the ball distribution was Shady being hurt and just natural flow. Either way, I really enjoyed the game plan as it adapted to the tempo needed because of our porous defense.

3 - Hughes - Great to see him in on the punt block and contributing everywhere. However, the first Wilson TD was on him for breaking contain.

4 - I hear more than I like to...

so I boil my head in a sense of humor...
I laugh at what I cannot change...
I throw it all on the pyre again...go then and do this
I'd do it for you...
when all that I want is so badly to be...
by myself again...
it's going to drive me right out of my brain

5 - Defense - 28 first half points is absolutely inexcusable. 3 in the second half helps though. I don't care how great the Seahawks played, we have to match it. One handed catches, hurdling Gilmore (sorry, but that doesn't happen to elite players), rushing 4 without pressure....It was all just a joke. Darby just got abused a few times. No safety deep and Wilson just throwing it deep down the middle, making our guys draw PI calls. We got beaten up and called out. We make a few plays per half, but it just doesn't outweigh the big plays we give up. (Shout out to the Lorax for his 10th sack). Rex, these are your guys and your supposed specialty. This may cost you your job.

6 - Refs - Let's do this. I've never seen the Ref's Association so quickly throw the refs in a game under the bus. They were on twitter within 5 minutes saying how it should have been Unsportsmanlike conduct. That play cost us being tied in the 4th quarter. And I wish I could say that was all there was. Making Carpenter come off the field, the ump standing over the ball until 5 seconds left on the playclock, but not resetting the playclock....just a smorgasbord or travesty. Then we have the unsportsmanlike conduct call against Woods in the 3rd? Just plain bad and what I expected against the Bills during Primetime.

It's hard to say that 3 points at the end of the first half is the game, but needing a field goal on the last 2 drives gives us a 3 point win possibly. On the national stage, this just can't happen.

7 - Overall Offense - While it wasn't our normal scheme, I was pretty happy with what we showed on the field today. There were a few dud drives and some headscratching decisions by TT to play it safe, but I liked our look. We executed a pass-happy offense well and saw a good last minute drive before the half. We saw some 4 wide sets. I saw a formation I've never seen before with a FB and TE lined up behind the tackles. Run plays seemed to be well timed and good plays down the middle. Offense was not the reason we lost this game. I'd be happy to see this offense for the rest of the season. It kept the Rb's fresh and let TT get going.

The draw play on 3rd and long at the end of the game, after the Glenn tripping penalty, was horrific. Terrible call and it was good to see TT get into the face of the coaches after the call. Doing it again before the 2 minute warning also made no sense when they were clearly waiting on it and we have a back-up center trying to block for it.

8 - Mills - I don't know the PFW rankings but I'm tired of seeing him get abused. A glaring need going into the offseason that was addressed and he just gets beat too often. Sometimes he does his job, but when he does get beat, it's bad. This is a top 3 need for us in the offseason if Henderson can't make his way back.

9 - I'm a Tyrod fan. I admit it. I've listened to the accuracy and urgency comments and started to question him a bit this past week. Even in this game, he threw the ball away on 3rd down a few times when it looked like there were guys open downfield. On those plays, I wonder if he's too worried about playing it safe. However, that's all I got against him.

Tyrod was pretty great tonight. He ran a pass first offense, found guys all over the field, broke away from sacks, and almost broke 300 yards! Kept up with an offense that was shredding our defense. His play at the end of the first half was great and what I've wanted to see at the end of games.

Final Drive - We were in it until the final drive and I felt like this would be the perfect cap to TT's night and finally give something to make the naysayers chew on. Playcalling and support killed TT with the draw play and then the sack. But TT made a great play to Woods on 3rd and I could feel it. But alas, we come up just short again. I'm sure the anti-TT guys will only focus on the last drive and that was the game, but this is just a tough one for me. I challenge those guys to show me what TT could've done differently. No one was open on the last play and most QB's don't get us to that last play.

On the road in Seattle, MNF, minus Sammy, I was very happy with TT. He made some great, ACCURATE throws tonight and kept this a game. Tyrod gets a solid B+ grade from me.

10 - Reggie Bush - How many stupid plays can he make in each game before he doesn't have a job anymore? His dragging out that play before half and running across the field created the block in the back. It's mind blowing to me how out of place he looks on the field and the damage he does. He's got a case of the Spillers and just can't run north to south

4-5 going into the bye isn't where we wanted to be, but it's our reality. We haven't had a complete game in 3 weeks now. We can't get all three facet of our team to show up. Tonight was the defense, as it was last week. Offense gets an A-, defense a C-, and special teams a C+. It's easy to point to the Sherman hit, but Carpenter is 0-4 over 45 yards. That's not okay.

Enjoy our bye week to think about Cincy and our season Go Bills!

Sherman is a POS!

Edited by Virgil

A Primetime Bills game meant a few things going into the game. We are going to show some great flashes. Someone on the other team is going to play out of their mind. The Refs are going to do something stupid. And we will lose in normal BS or gut-wrenching fashion.

With that, I'm going to try and keep this to the end results and try not to get too into the shoulda, coulda, woulda's.....

1 - Goodwin. While not any amazing plays that are going to jump out at you on a stat sheet, we was a big part of this offense. He ran deep a lot (Harvin too) which spread the field and allowed a lot of underneath throws. More importantly, he seems to have become TT's escape valve, finding ways to come back to him and make some great sideline catches. I'm really impressed with his development this year and hope to see more from him.

2 - Runningbacks - Debate whether or not they ran the ball too little or not, there's a lot to talk about here. Gilly seemed to get the 2/3rd's of the snaps in the first half with it evening out to 50/50 in the second half. Both ran well. The passing game was going well enough where I personally couldn't get upset at the pass/run ratio. I wonder how much of the ball distribution was Shady being hurt and just natural flow. Either way, I really enjoyed the game plan as it adapted to the tempo needed because of our porous defense.

3 - Hughes - Great to see him in on the punt block and contributing everywhere. However, the first Wilson TD was on him for breaking contain.

4 - I hear more than I like to...

so I boil my head in a sense of humor...

I laugh at what I cannot change...

I throw it all on the pyre again...go then and do this

I'd do it for you...

when all that I want is so badly to be...

by myself again...

it's going to drive me right out of my brain

5 - Defense - 28 first half points is absolutely inexcusable. 3 in the second half helps though. I don't care how great the Seahawks played, we have to match it. One handed catches, hurdling Gilmore (sorry, but that doesn't happen to elite players), rushing 4 without pressure....It was all just a joke. Darby just got abused a few times. No safety deep and Wilson just throwing it deep down the middle, making our guys draw PI calls. We got beaten up and called out. We make a few plays per half, but it just doesn't outweigh the big plays we give up. (Shout out to the Lorax for his 10th sack). Rex, these are your guys and your supposed specialty. This may cost you your job.

6 - Refs - Let's do this. I've never seen the Ref's Association so quickly throw the refs in a game under the bus. They were on twitter within 5 minutes saying how it should have been Unsportsmanlike conduct. That play cost us being tied in the 4th quarter. And I wish I could say that was all there was. Making Carpenter come off the field, the ump standing over the ball until 5 seconds left on the playclock, but not resetting the playclock....just a smorgasbord or travesty. Then we have the unsportsmanlike conduct call against Woods in the 3rd? Just plain bad and what I expected against the Bills during Primetime.

It's hard to say that 3 points at the end of the first half is the game, but needing a field goal on the last 2 drives gives us a 3 point win possibly. On the national stage, this just can't happen.

7 - Overall Offense - While it wasn't our normal scheme, I was pretty happy with what we showed on the field today. There were a few dud drives and some headscratching decisions by TT to play it safe, but I liked our look. We executed a pass-happy offense well and saw a good last minute drive before the half. We saw some 4 wide sets. I saw a formation I've never seen before with a FB and TE lined up behind the tackles. Run plays seemed to be well timed and good plays down the middle. Offense was not the reason we lost this game. I'd be happy to see this offense for the rest of the season. It kept the Rb's fresh and let TT get going.

The draw play on 3rd and long at the end of the game, after the Glenn tripping penalty, was horrific. Terrible call and it was good to see TT get into the face of the coaches after the call. Doing it again before the 2 minute warning also made no sense when they were clearly waiting on it and we have a back-up center trying to block for it.

8 - Mills - I don't know the PFW rankings but I'm tired of seeing him get abused. A glaring need going into the offseason that was addressed and he just gets beat too often. Sometimes he does his job, but when he does get beat, it's bad. This is a top 3 need for us in the offseason if Henderson can't make his way back.

9 - I'm a Tyrod fan. I admit it. I've listened to the accuracy and urgency comments and started to question him a bit this past week. Even in this game, he threw the ball away on 3rd down a few times when it looked like there were guys open downfield. On those plays, I wonder if he's too worried about playing it safe. However, that's all I got against him.

Tyrod was pretty great tonight. He ran a pass first offense, found guys all over the field, broke away from sacks, and almost broke 300 yards! Kept up with an offense that was shredding our defense. His play at the end of the first half was great and what I've wanted to see at the end of games.

Final Drive - We were in it until the final drive and I felt like this would be the perfect cap to TT's night and finally give something to make the naysayers chew on. Playcalling and support killed TT with the draw play and then the sack. But TT made a great play to Woods on 3rd and I could feel it. But alas, we come up just short again. I'm sure the anti-TT guys will only focus on the last drive and that was the game, but this is just a tough one for me. I challenge those guys to show me what TT could've done differently. No one was open on the last play and most QB's don't get us to that last play.

On the road in Seattle, MNF, minus Sammy, I was very happy with TT. He made some great, ACCURATE throws tonight and kept this a game. Tyrod gets a solid B+ grade from me.

10 - Reggie Bush - How many stupid plays can he make in each game before he doesn't have a job anymore? His dragging out that play before half and running across the field created the block in the back. It's mind blowing to me how out of place he looks on the field and the damage he does. He's got a case of the Spillers and just can't run north to south

4-5 going into the bye isn't where we wanted to be, but it's our reality. We haven't had a complete game in 3 weeks now. We can't get all three facet of our team to show up. Tonight was the defense, as it was last week. Offense gets an A-, defense a C-, and special teams a C+. It's easy to point to the Sherman hit, but Carpenter is 0-4 over 45 yards. That's not okay.

Enjoy our bye week to think about Cincy and our season Go Bills!

Sherman is a POS!

Great summary = agree with all except I thought the last play should have been some sort of rollout option, buy time, maybe get to the pylon.

Losing Eric Woods is the real answer but the TT pitchfork folks will blame him for not being clutch.

To them I say please find and replay the Minnesota Vikings loss to the Lions. Bradford is inept compared to TT.

After all the ref BS and Sherman BS and terrible plays on D and roller coaster offense, it ultimately came down to 1st and goal from the 10 with a minute left...

BTW, Rex said in his presser Darby was sick, and that's why he ultimately came out (said something to the effect he prob never should have been out there)

Edited by stevewin

Thanks for the recap. Nicely done.

General thought: other than Shady, Tyrod, and Hughes, the big money or "star" players were AWOL or crap. Dareus. Sammy. Glenn. Gilmore (by they way, he's looking like maybe the worst starting CB in the NFL). Clay. Darby. Meanwhile, Woods, Goodwin, Gillislie, Kyle, Lorax, the Browns, all turn in good or great performances. Maybe it's time to stop paying mediocre or absent performers the big bucks.

Rex/Rob's D: Enough. So this is what we were waiting for? Gregg Easterbrook when he did his Tuesday Morning QB series always had an item titled "Stop Me Before I Blitz Again." And it's never been more fitting than with the Bills this year. Gilmore and Darby Islands look like Bikini Atoll, getting blown up every time they're left to cover man-to-man without help. And not by elite receivers either. Sure, there was Brandon Marshall. But there was also Eric Decker, and Chris Hogan, and Doug Baldwin, and a bunch of others. Good receivers all of them, but not receivers you should be afraid to leave man-to-man on your so-called best. Rex, guess what ... you don't have prime Revis and Cromartie back there. I'm starting to think you don't even have McKelvin. This is ugly. At least make the other team's offense work for it a little, who knows, maybe they'll make a mistake and throw a pick or fumble or something during that 12 play drive. I'm tired of the quick clean kill that Rex's defense + Rex's DBs is resulting in every week.

Oh, yeah, and the Seattle Screwjob that was the refs today. If 99% percent of announcers and fans think it was roughing the kicker, it was roughing the kicker. At least we didn't see any naked eye catches being overturned on freeze-frame high def replays. And the NFL wonders why ratings are down ...

Great game nonetheless. They fought till the end. It was great to watch even if it leaves me with the feeling that it was a last gasp ...

I gotta say I was impressed by Tyrod. Definitely his best game yet. I'm hoping he can use this as a springboard to build on his confidence and sling the ball a little more. I'm in the not extend Tyrod camp, but if he can play like that the rest of the season, I think we will. But hopefully he can use this game and carry it forwad

I gotta say I was impressed by Tyrod. Definitely his best game yet. I'm hoping he can use this as a springboard to build on his confidence and sling the ball a little more. I'm in the not extend Tyrod camp, but if he can play like that the rest of the season, I think we will. But hopefully he can use this game and carry it forwad

Agreed. His best, most controlled game. And I think he would've pulled it off if Wood had been in there at C. Groy got blown up on a couple occasions and completely wrecked the drive. I'm still solidly on the "decline the option" side of things unless Tyrod keeps this up in the final 7 games, but today he took what the D gave him and managed to nearly pull it out despite an awful 1st half defensive performance.

I've been in the TT needs to be a lot better crowd and not sure I would pick up his option crowd- this game was not on him at all. Honestly not sure there wasn't much he could do once we lost Wood, got F'd in the A by the refs and the at times lousy play calling. I do wish he audibled out of the 3rd and a million draw and the horrendous run up the gut without Wood though....

Agreed. His best, most controlled game. And I think he would've pulled it off if Wood had been in there at C. Groy got blown up on a couple occasions and completely wrecked the drive. I'm still solidly on the "decline the option" side of things unless Tyrod keeps this up in the final 7 games, but today he took what the D gave him and managed to nearly pull it out despite an awful 1st half defensive performance.

He needs to close out drives and get points...He left too many points....We had 1st and goal on the 3rd drive and settled for a FG. WE march down after the 2nd half kickoff and get picked and then the penultimate drive....we were at the 30 yard line.....And then the Refs helped steal points from us

Goodwin had two catches that were two toe taps in clutch times.

TT looked better, but accuracy still not #1 material. TT missed clutch deep to mid-field balls. by over or underthrowing. One particular time to Harvin and another to Goodwin or Powell.

Why'd we give up the run game?

BS Refs.

Bad Secondary Defensive play

Injuries.

Edited by gr8billsfan