Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

Battle is Battle. It seems like he is best utilized taking the ball to the goal. Lydon is being utilized, for the most part, in the low post. Certainly not his strength, but it is necessary to play him there. He is frequently wide open, and often mismatched against a guard or a smaller forward. I find myself screaming at the TV to get him the ball, but you know, our guards have to be able to get it to him...

Maddening that Gillon will have these amazing games and then a dud almost immediately. He put up 43 and then followed it up with 6. He hits a game winner and has 26 then gets 10. He would be a fantastic backup pg unfortunately Howard is so bad they have to rely on him as the starter.

I know teams are game planning White but it would be nice to see a little more aggressiveness from him.

G Tech game looms large. I think they need a win and also think they will get it.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maddening that Gillon will have these amazing games and then a dud almost immediately. He put up 43 and then followed it up with 6. He hits a game winner and has 26 then gets 10. He would be a fantastic backup pg unfortunately Howard is so bad they have to rely on him as the starter.

I know teams are game planning White but it would be nice to see a little more aggressiveness from him.

G Tech game looms large. I think they need a win and also think they will get it.

Agreed, I think we have to win against GT to guarantee a spot in the tourney. and get Lydon the damn ball, the offense needs to run through him in the post, or by pulling a big away from the rim. Gillon needs to be more aggressive from the get go and not wait until the 2nd half.

Also on an aside, its nice that there is a Cuse Bball thread here

Agreed, I think we have to win against GT to guarantee a spot in the tourney. and get Lydon the damn ball, the offense needs to run through him in the post, or by pulling a big away from the rim. Gillon needs to be more aggressive from the get go and not wait until the 2nd half.

The bolded might be the most frustrating thing about this season. When he's posted up on someone small, Roberson has been the only one who really concentrates on getting him the ball consistently. Our guards rarely get him the ball in the post. Then when he gets it at the 3 point line, he's been hesitant lately. He needs to be utilized better.

Battle also needs to take over more.

Love the screen name!!!!! :thumbsup:

The bolded might be the most frustrating thing about this season. When he's posted up on someone small, Roberson has been the only one who really concentrates on getting him the ball consistently. Our guards rarely get him the ball in the post. Then when he gets it at the 3 point line, he's been hesitant lately. He needs to be utilized better.

When Roberson has the ball he looks to pass to anyone lol when he sets picks and rolls to the basket no one ever guards him bc they know he won't get it.

And I also would like to see Lydon shoot the three more, he fakes it too much, but am not sure if that's boeheim or he is hesitant

And battle I like his game as it is, great at getting to the rim and can hit the outside shot, and yes he needs to be featured more, esp if white is struggling to get a shot

Love the screen name!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you kind sir!

This has been a problem with our guards since 2000. I would gripe about this too when we had Onuaku and Rick Jackson. The offense would just be smoother if it is run through the post. But our guards are so hesitant to throw it in there.

This has been a problem with our guards since 2000. I would gripe about this too when we had Onuaku and Rick Jackson. The offense would just be smoother if it is run through the post. But our guards are so hesitant to throw it in there.

Gillon is like 5' 8" and can barely see past his defender, and Battle is too afraid to make a mistake. lol

Was at a conference and missed the game, but glad they buried GT. I think they have to be in at this Point. Beating Miami though in the ACC tourney would be a huge additional notch and I think they can easily do it. Wouldn't be surprised that if they beat Miami, they end up like a 8 or 9 seed.

How many wins at the conference tourney are required to get in?

I don't think they need any at this point, honestly. A win over Miami on Wednesday, however, and I think it's an absolute lock. As JR posted above, I think a win over Miami gets us in as high as a 7 or 8 seed. I'd rather that than play in the 12-5 or the 11-6 game (obviously).

I don't think they need any at this point, honestly. A win over Miami on Wednesday, however, and I think it's an absolute lock. As JR posted above, I think a win over Miami gets us in as high as a 7 or 8 seed. I'd rather that than play in the 12-5 or the 11-6 game (obviously).

They aren't a shoe-in for some expert sites, yeah i know....

They aren't a shoe-in for some expert sites, yeah i know....

If they are left out I would be shocked. Their good wins are better than any other bubble team and Cuse is just a year away from that magical final four 4. The resume, talent, and coach is going to be hard to leave out.

If they are left out I would be shocked. Their good wins are better than any other bubble team and Cuse is just a year away from that magical final four 4. The resume, talent, and coach is going to be hard to leave out.

Hope they get in. Not a big fan but it beats trying to pretend interest in Lipscomb vs. South Dakota State if they aren't.

Cuse vs. Miami at noon. Cuse beat them by 15 in their earlier meeting, Miami is listed as a -1.5 favorite. I don't love it, but I didn't stay home to watch this game so I could chicken out on the spread!

I am timing my lunch so I can catch the entire second half! (I will be scoreboard watching for the first half)

See I think your better off being an 10/11/ seed then the 8/9 because your going to have to play the one seed in the second round. The difference between the quality of opponents from /6/7 seed compared to a 9 seed is minimal at best.

See I think your better off being an 10/11/ seed then the 8/9 because your going to have to play the one seed in the second round. The difference between the quality of opponents from /6/7 seed compared to a 9 seed is minimal at best.

Yup. Generally speaking, getting an 8/9 seed is the kiss of death. If I'm a fringe team I want the 10/11 seed with a reasonable chance at a 2nd round upset if I win the first game. That's even more true this year, because I don't think all of the #2/3 seeds are going to be that formidable.

Edited by eball

Cuse came out flat. Slowly waking up, stop turning over the ball!

Miami shooting lights out, even banking in some garbage shots, they got all the bounces it seemed and Gillon needs to take more care of the ball and start scoring. We tighten things up I think we will be fine.

he had time to put up a more confident shot, he forced it....he had the look

For sure. He did the same weird pump fake he did in the Duke game except he had more time and more space.

Tough loss. I won't be mad if they miss the tourney. This team can beat anyone so it would be exciting to watch but they can lose to anyone too. One of the strangest teams in memory.

For sure. He did the same weird pump fake he did in the Duke game except he had more time and more space.

Tough loss. I won't be mad if they miss the tourney. This team can beat anyone so it would be exciting to watch but they can lose to anyone too. One of the strangest teams in memory.

What happened to Roberson? He looked so much different last season?

Not sure what is going to happen Sunday. I think one thing that hurts cuse is the god awful road record. This is a weird year. The Bubble is about as soft as I have ever seen it. I can never remember talking about so mnay 13/14 loss teams on the bubble. There is only one team that made the tournament as an at large with at least 14 losses & that was Georgia when they went 16-14. Their schedule was an anomoly though that year in that I believe 27 out of their 30 opponents were within the top 100 RPI. I don't know, my gut says they are out, but I thought they were out last year too.

I really want them to make it so I have more syracuse basketball to watch this season....that would be a killer match-up for them, but I'll take anything we can get! GO ORANGE!!!!

Lunardi has them playing the play-in vs Xavier

I really want them to make it so I have more syracuse basketball to watch this season....that would be a killer match-up for them, but I'll take anything we can get! GO ORANGE!!!!

That would be a great matchup for them. Xavier has been in a spiral ever since Sumnter(sp) went down. I believe in their last 9 games the only 2 wins they have are against Depaul. They are going to get drilled tonight against Butler at the Garden.