Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

It is very concerning that they got nothing out of non conference play. Every team they played that will be considered for an at large bid come March (Wisky, G Town, S Carolina, Ucon?) they lost too. They are going to have to knock off one of the Big Dogs in conference play to pump up their resume come March. Fortunately they will have some nice opportunities.

They are going to need to get hot late and probably knock off Duke and one other top team, like Lville. Even then, I think they will need to build the narrative in the media of "all new guys; took time to come together."

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not exactly John Wooden but Gillon is brutal at the top of the zone. He looks like he's never played it before.

Coleman with the worst 3/4 court shot Ive ever seen. He was 30 feet short.

Edited by inkman

I'm not exactly John Wooden but Gillon is brutal at the top of the zone. He looks like he's never played it before.

Coleman with the worst 3/4 court shot Ive ever seen. He was 30 feet short.

All of the Cuse fans in the bar I'm at erupted in laughter at that attempt. He looked so confused about what to do.

Holy cow. Not sure what to say about that game or this team at this point. It amazes me how sloppy and disjointed they are on both ends of the floor. Guys just flailing around all game.

Edit: just listened to JB's presser. He blamed himself for the loss. Not sure I buy it. I am starting to think that a team is just not very bright: lots of TOs, mental lapses, poor decisions. They can't get away with that against good competition.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

They're just not good. It's been a while since I've said that.

I have to agree with you. St Johns is horrible. They couldn't get out of their own way against Penn State last Sunday(I know because I bet them). This is verey concerning & quite frankly I am at loss for words right now.

that was downright embarrassing. I have always been a staunch boeheim supporter, but why did Roberson not play. If it's another doghouse type thing, i am really getting tired of those antics. dude is a senior, came off arguably his best game of the season, plus your marquee player has an achilles issue, why not rest lydon, play roberson. this was just downright ridiculous. 0-3 against a pathetic group of former big east teams.

that was downright embarrassing. I have always been a staunch boeheim supporter, but why did Roberson not play. If it's another doghouse type thing, i am really getting tired of those antics. dude is a senior, came off arguably his best game of the season, plus your marquee player has an achilles issue, why not rest lydon, play roberson. this was just downright ridiculous. 0-3 against a pathetic group of former big east teams.

Boeheim is ruining this team. I feel blasphemous in saying this, but I think it will be time for him to step aside after the season.

The really bad part about this is that recruits/grad transfers see how JB treats his players. Tyler Roberson has been completely destroyed by JB. I fear Battle and Howard are not too far behind. They just look lost out there. No intensity, no anger, no happiness....no emotion.

The saddest part about this year's team is that I honestly believe the talent is there. I don't want to put all of this on JB, but it is getting difficult to look in the other direction all the time.

Boeheim is ruining this team. I feel blasphemous in saying this, but I think it will be time for him to step aside after the season.

The really bad part about this is that recruits/grad transfers see how JB treats his players. Tyler Roberson has been completely destroyed by JB. I fear Battle and Howard are not too far behind. They just look lost out there. No intensity, no anger, no happiness....no emotion.

The saddest part about this year's team is that I honestly believe the talent is there. I don't want to put all of this on JB, but it is getting difficult to look in the other direction all the time.

I have never really said a bad word about JB, but I agree.

I actually think JB is a bit overwhelmed with this team. He has too many options and too many new guys, and hasn't figured out how to use everyone effectively.

If you think about it, it is hard. What is his best lineup? Howard-Gillon up top? But what about Battle? Then Lydon-Coleman-White in the back. But you need Roberson to rebound and you need Thompson for his offense, and White disappears often.

I think he needs to figure out his 6 core guys and go with them. And the 6, to me, are Howard, Lydon, Roberson, Battle, and White, with Thompson as the first sub. Coleman and Gillon shouldn't be getting significant minutes.

I have never really said a bad word about JB, but I agree.

I actually think JB is a bit overwhelmed with this team. He has too many options and too many new guys, and hasn't figured out how to use everyone effectively.

If you think about it, it is hard. What is his best lineup? Howard-Gillon up top? But what about Battle? Then Lydon-Coleman-White in the back. But you need Roberson to rebound and you need Thompson for his offense, and White disappears often.

I think he needs to figure out his 6 core guys and go with them. And the 6, to me, are Howard, Lydon, Roberson, Battle, and White, with Thompson as the first sub. Coleman and Gillon shouldn't be getting significant minutes.

It must be frustrating for him. Losing your top 3 scorers from a season ago, and adding 2 freshman and 2 grad transfers to the mix must be tough. Especially putting all these guys together, with varying experience, and asking them to play the 2-3 zone defense. This defense takes time to learn and perfect.

I maintain, however, that JB is mishandling this team.

Based on what I've seen, my ideal starting 5 would be White/Battle/AW3/Lydon/Coleman. I think they need to put Battle out there and ride him like a horse. He may be the most talented player on the team, and needs to work through his mistakes. I'd start Howard, but split time with Gillon depending on who has the hot hand. Coleman is a token start, as I think TT is our best option at the 5.

The best defensive/rebounding line-up would be Howard/Battle/AW3/Roberson/Lydon, IMO.

Completely unsubstantiated rumor but I have heard for a few years that Boeheim is not involved much in the day to day coaching.

To pile on I think the crusty curmudgeon way of coaching is not as effective anymore. There are guys (Howard comes to mind) that make a mistake and immediately head to the bench or avoid eye contact with Boeheim. There is a difference between coaching and yelling at your guys. I get him having high expectations and tough love etc. etc. etc. but I don't see him connecting with these guys. You have to have the soft side when you are a hard ass or eventually you get tuned out.

I don't want to put this all on him though. Leadership is sorely lacking on this team. Lydon is the closest thing I think but he seems more a lead by example guy. Roberson, Howard, Gillon, White, and Coleman are all guys who could fill that role and none of them do.

Completely unsubstantiated rumor but I have heard for a few years that Boeheim is not involved much in the day to day coaching.

I also read about this "rumor" on a SU sports message board. If true...may explain the lack of execution and cohesiveness. Remember how poorly the team played while Hop was at the reigns? This is some BS if true. Bad for the team, bad for recruiting (these players all know each other and talk), and it's bad for me to have to watch this crap.

JB proved me wrong last year. I hope he does it again this year. I will continue to tune in regardless.

Go Orange.

To pile on I think the crusty curmudgeon way of coaching is not as effective anymore. There are guys (Howard comes to mind) that make a mistake and immediately head to the bench or avoid eye contact with Boeheim. There is a difference between coaching and yelling at your guys. I get him having high expectations and tough love etc. etc. etc. but I don't see him connecting with these guys. You have to have the soft side when you are a hard ass or eventually you get tuned out.

I don't want to put this all on him though. Leadership is sorely lacking on this team. Lydon is the closest thing I think but he seems more a lead by example guy. Roberson, Howard, Gillon, White, and Coleman are all guys who could fill that role and none of them do.

Hard for guys like Robey and Coleman to be leaders when they've been previously neutered by the coach and still treated like Marrone's dog any time they make a mistake.

Thompson is the better option at the 5 with Lydon at the 4. I think it's more of a matter of talent. Coleman is lucky to get the token start.

True. Just surprised by how few his minutes were in a game they had in the bag.

True. Just surprised by how few his minutes were in a game they had in the bag.

Ah, I see your point now. Who knows with Boeheim? His practices are mysterious and many times don't make sense to me. I find DC2 frustrating to watch, personally. He's gotten better in the low post, but has the curious inability to rebound and go back up with it. It's maddening watching him get stripped by 5'7" white guys all game long.

Thompson is the most fun guy to watch on offense; I can see why JB gives him extended minutes.

I am not sure what to think of this win. It was clear they had a ton more talent and size on Cornell, and yet they let Cornell fire away a bunch of open 3s and let guys get in the middle of the zone. Not sure much has changed.

This year is going to be tough to watch. Our defense could be historically bad. Everyone we have played has been able to get wide open 3 attempts on us. It's pathetic how bad it is. There is no chemistry on this team at all. Just....disappointed.

is it feasible to move to man defense at this point in time or is it too late to change everything. you knew there would be a day when the zone lost it's effectiveness, but all of a sudden? it's just very weird

I honestly believe that part of the problem is that someone found a loop hole in the zone too. They seem to be exposing it by going high low a lot more but if that is covered, the defensive rotation is too predictable and slow to get to the shooters.

you are 100% correct, now tomorrow when they are scheduled to play they may have a slightly higher chance of winning, not much, but slightly more :D:devil:

PS: we literally have 0% chance of winning tonight. How fall have we fallen...

What a great win. Much needed. Loved how aggressive White was on O out of the gate. You could tell white (and battle) were going to be assertive.

The D played better too-- cut down on the high low garbage.

Gillon was solid, but could cut down on the TOs--- way too many!

Okay...season reset. Miami is a good team. White scored a bunch, but was also a monster on the boards. Lydon is clearly our only solid low post player. He is our center, with sprinklings of Thompson, moving forward. Gillon did his job as THE PG, but I agree that he needs to clean up his game. A little too reckless for my taste. And freaking Roberson?! Since when does he play?! I am befuddled and amazed all at the same time. The defense finally worked too. They hustled and were scrappy. Tyus Battle made a noticeable difference on defense.

Great win.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

It was like an entirely fifteenth different team defensively last night. Lydon was an animal in the second half.

I agree with you, JH. Lydon should be the #5, with Thompson and Roberson playing the 4.

Hopefully we see more of what we did the other night. I want Lydon to start at the 5 with Thompson at the 4, with Roberson giving energy and rebounding off the bench. Let's go SU!

Looks like they're going to ride Gillon-Battle-White-Roberson-Lydon with sprinlings of Thompson at the 5 and perhaps DC2 if we really get in foul trouble. It will be interesting to see what happens if either Battle or Gillon get in foul trouble. I don't think Howard plays regardless. Roberson is key for defense and rebounding.