Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

So I was able to see the first half of the holy cross game.

Umm... this team is sick. The offense is going to be effortless. I have been used to seeing painful offensive flow for the last 4-6 years. This team has like 6, maybe 7, legit scorers. White has a gorgeous shot too.

I'm trying to temper my excitement, but yes, this looks like the deepest and most talented SU team in some time. Looking forward to seeing them on a national stage against Wisconsin.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to temper my excitement, but yes, this looks like the deepest and most talented SU team in some time. Looking forward to seeing them on a national stage against Wisconsin.

I hate to say this, but this wouldn't be a proper thread without a little cooney bashing. We watched Cooney run around like a mad man and take off-balanced 3s for 4 years as a main staple of our offense. This was coupled by isolation jump shooters like Mal and G. It was as bad of an offense as you could run.

Now we have 4 guys that can penetrate; 3 bigs that can finish around the rim; 2 terrific passers; and 4 consistent 3-point shooters (not even including Howard, whose stroke looks great).

You know the defense will eventually come together too.

This looks like the best team we have had since our last 1 seed (rautins, onuaku et al). I was not expecting this at all.

This looks like the best team we have had since our last 1 seed (rautins, onuaku et al). I was not expecting this at all.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The best team since Onuaku's senior season when he got injured in the tourney, and we got smoked by Blake Griffin and Oklahoma. And that team wasn't nearly as deep as this year's team, IMO.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The best team since Onuaku's senior season when he got injured in the tourney, and we got smoked by Blake Griffin and Oklahoma. And that team wasn't nearly as deep as this year's team, IMO.

eerily similar to that team. We had lost Flynn, Devendorf, and Paul Harris the prior year, and the expectations were low. But we got Wes Johnson as a transfer, Scoop back from redshirted injury, and the seniors like Rautins and Onuaku really came through, with Rick Jackson also taking a big step up. I think Kris Joseph had some good minutes too that year. Probably one of my favorite teams of all time at Syracuse.

eerily similar to that team. We had lost Flynn, Devendorf, and Paul Harris the prior year, and the expectations were low. But we got Wes Johnson as a transfer, Scoop back from redshirted injury, and the seniors like Rautins and Onuaku really came through, with Rick Jackson also taking a big step up. I think Kris Joseph had some good minutes too that year. Probably one of my favorite teams of all time at Syracuse.

Agreed. I forgot about Wes Johnson being that team's AW3. Striking similarities.

A little note on the recruiting front with the early signing period coming to an end.

Again, 5 star PG Quade (Kwah-day) Green will announce his decision on Saturday 11/19. Right now he is thought to be a heavy Cuse lean over Kentucky. I'm hearing now that he has already submitted all his paperwork to commit to Syracuse, but is waiting until Saturday to announce at an event at his HS. Would be huge not only because he is an elite PG, but also because other uncommitted blue chippers have made it known that they would like to play with Green (e.g., Hami Diallo, Mo Bamba).

Also, 2017 4 star C, Bourama Sidibe will be announcing on Monday 11/21. Right now, Cuse, Oklahoma St., and Arizona State are the biggest players, but I'm hearing that he also will be wearing orange next season.

Brissett, Green, and Sidibe would already be a pretty solid recruiting class. I would expect 1 or 2 more 4-5 star commits in the wake of Green committing.

Go Cuse!

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

This should be a fun year for the fans. As you guys stated they actually can fill up the bucket! It seems that Franklin Howard is the whipping boy for Jimmy B this year. Less than a minute into the game he had Gillon sitting at the scorers table for him. I don't know what he did wrong but Jimmy gave him an earful a few times last night.

just saw this on twitter, hopefully it doesn't mean anything

post-307-0-23687200-1479325598_thumb.jpg

A little note on the recruiting front with the early signing period coming to an end.

Again, 5 star PG Quade (Kwah-day) Green will announce his decision on Saturday 11/19. Right now he is thought to be a heavy Cuse lean over Kentucky. I'm hearing now that he has already submitted all his paperwork to commit to Syracuse, but is waiting until Saturday to announce at an event at his HS. Would be huge not only because he is an elite PG, but also because other uncommitted blue chippers have made it known that they would like to play with Green (e.g., Hami Diallo, Mo Bamba).

just saw this on twitter, hopefully it doesn't mean anything

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

He was sitting court side at the Cuse-Colgate game also. Everything I've heard has him committing to Syracuse. My "source" on the hill is he one who told me that he has already submitted paperwork to attend SU (whatever that means). I guess I wouldn't rule out Kentucky and PayCal in any recruiting situation. I learned my lesson with the Thomas Bryant recruiting fiasco. I was 99.9% sure he was orange, and he ended up committing to Indiana. We'll just have to wait and cross our fingers.

I will say, however, that it is telling that JB has given up recruiting all of the other top PG's for 2017.

FWIW...I got reassurance last night that Quade Green has signed his LOI with Syracuse. If my source is wrong about this, as they were with Dakari Johnson, I will be really upset. We really need Quade in orange.

oh, man-- this really has my hopes up. I was thinking we would lose out to KY like we did with Noel. what a get this would be.

By the way, I read somewhere that KY has its eye on another PG-- wonder if that may be pushing Quade to Syracuse too. We are obviously all in on him.

oh my goodness...i need to go change my undies :w00t:

FWIW...I got reassurance last night that Quade Green has signed his LOI with Syracuse. If my source is wrong about this, as they were with Dakari Johnson, I will be really upset. We really need Quade in orange.

oh, man-- this really has my hopes up. I was thinking we would lose out to KY like we did with Noel. what a get this would be.

By the way, I read somewhere that KY has its eye on another PG-- wonder if that may be pushing Quade to Syracuse too. We are obviously all in on him.

I know this is just anecdotal evidence but...

I was sitting 2 rows behind Noel when he came to the Dome. If you recall he was really good friends with MCW. It happened to be the game where JB got into it with MCW and had to be restrained by other coaches. Then JB benched MCW for the rest of the game. Shortly after that interaction Noel got up and did not return to his seats. I knew then he wasn't coming to SU.

Kentucky's #1 target all along has been Trae Young, and this has been made clear to all the other top '17 PG's. Recently, it has been rumored that Trae is now a heavy lean for Kansas, although he remains uncommitted and has stated that he will not make a decision until spring. On the heels of this news, Cal went hard after Shai Alexander and recently Shai committed to Kentucky. He is a very good PG, but not elite like Quade, Trae, Trevon Duval, or Matt Coleman.

Essentially, Cal only started recruiting Quade 6 months ago, while JB and GMac (main recruiter for QG) have been recruiting him hard for 2 years. Quade could still commit to Kentucky and start over Shai Alexander....which is scary for us. He has stated all along that he wants to be his college team's "plan A," and clearly he is now plan B for Cal and the Wildcats. I hope that bodes well for us.

Recruiting is a crazy, rabid animal. There are many influences, as we all know, outside just choosing the best team to play for. Anything can happen, and his recent trip to MSG to watch Kentucky bury Michigan State is concerning. I still remain confident, however, that Quade will be orange. He seems like a good kid with reasonable parents, and he seems to genuinely love Syracuse.

Again, I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I am fairly confident.

I know this is just anecdotal evidence but...

I was sitting 2 rows behind Noel when he came to the Dome. If you recall he was really good friends with MCW. It happened to be the game where JB got into it with MCW and had to be restrained by other coaches. Then JB benched MCW for the rest of the game. Shortly after that interaction Noel got up and did not return to his seats. I knew then he wasn't coming to SU.

Interesting. I remember the morning of Noel's announcement it was rumored that he has decided on Georgetown, Syracuse was a very close 2nd, and Kentucky was out of the running. It just shows how crazy CBB recruiting is, and how unreliable the media can be with regard to these speculations.

Now I'm hearing second-hand from another fairly trustworthy source (a grad assistant) that no LOI has been signed, and that Quade has flipped to Kentucky within the past 2 days. I'm going to stop posting about this, and wait to see what happens. What a blow to this recruiting class if true. This is driving me crazy. Sorry guys...

Don't stop posting....i want more more more

Now I'm hearing second-hand from another fairly trustworthy source (a grad assistant) that no LOI has been signed, and that Quade has flipped to Kentucky within the past 2 days. I'm going to stop posting about this, and wait to see what happens. What a blow to this recruiting class if true. This is driving me crazy. Sorry guys...

ugh. just can't get our hopes up!!

ugh. just can't get our hopes up!!

Okay, so my personal "source" within the athletic dept said again that Green is 100% orange. They said as of 4:30 today when they left campus that this was still the case. The coaches are expecting a commitment.

The other source is second hand, but from a friend of my brother-in-law who happens to be a wealthy Cuse alum. This person is well connected, and donated millions to help fund the building of the Melo Center. This person knows people. They told my BIL that Quade changed his mind within the past couple days, and has already signed his LOI to Kentucky. Said it was confirmed by several people including a grad-assistant who works closely with GMac. Apparently, GMac made a special trip to Quade's HS yesterday to make an 11th hour plea.

I don't know what to believe at this point, but I can't wait until Saturday until this is over with. We really need this kid...especially if Battle is a one and done.

Uggh....