Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're going to ride Gillon-Battle-White-Roberson-Lydon with sprinlings of Thompson at the 5 and perhaps DC2 if we really get in foul trouble. It will be interesting to see what happens if either Battle or Gillon get in foul trouble. I don't think Howard plays regardless. Roberson is key for defense and rebounding.

Agreed. Roberson has been a monster on D. Thompson still looks a little lost on D. Battle is really starting to put it together.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Wow--what a great game. The D was great; great job denying the high post. And the times they were late, they were able to get some good blocks.

Looks like the formula is holding true on O too. If we get production from PG spot, we are going to win. I would like to see Howard get some PT--you know we are going to need him at some point.

Glad we don't have to see Dixon--he was a real zone killer. Stallings is a pretty mediocre coach.

Pay pal me a 50 spot. I'll watch the next one. Lol.

Hey man. This is a team that got beat by UCONN, Georgetown, St. John's (by 30+), and by BC. Our last two wins, which were on the heals of a huge roster shake up, have been against 2 very solid ACC teams. We'll see your Tarheels soon 😁

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Hey man. This is a team that got beat by UCONN, Georgetown, St. John's (by 30+), and by BC. Our last two wins, which were on the heals of a huge roster shake up, have been against 2 very solid ACC teams. We'll see your Tarheels soon 😁

Talking trash--you are a braver man than I!!

I think an interesting test will be BC, who we have coming up in a week again. If we can beat them, might be a true test that we have this turned around.

Talking trash--you are a braver man than I!!

I think an interesting test will be BC, who we have coming up in a week again. If we can beat them, might be a true test that we have this turned around.

Gotta talk a little smack to the UNC fan in a Cuse thread

I don't know what happened...I mean I think I know at least part of the reason for the turn around, but this is an entirely different basketball team. The seem to be firing on all cylinders on offense and defense. Getting better on the boards. The intensity and team chemistry is there. Battle starting to look like a top 30 recruit. Things are trending upward quickly. Let's hope it continues.

I'm interested to see how they do in their next game against the Hokies.

I'm glad Boeheim defended himself against the article, but I think Poliquin's basic premise my be a bit accurate, but it is more to do with off the court rather than on the court.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2017/01/jim_boeheim_only_thing_that_matters_in_college_basketball_is_going_to_the_final.html#incart_river_home

I'm glad Boeheim defended himself against the article, but I think Poliquin's basic premise my be a bit accurate, but it is more to do with off the court rather than on the court.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2017/01/jim_boeheim_only_thing_that_matters_in_college_basketball_is_going_to_the_final.html#incart_river_home

I didn't get the reference to off the court stuff, but it's hard to declare a program to be in a "slump" after two final 4's in four years. Whether you're winning 20 or 30 games per year, that is the very definition of success in college basketball, IMHO. I actually thought it was Mike Waters who wrote the article. Wasn't he arguing with Waters during the presser?

He was praising waters, but then turned his attention when it seems poliquin said something. And there were no off court references. I think the holistic perception is a team spiraling down because of the ncaa investigation.

I didn't get the reference to off the court stuff, but it's hard to declare a program to be in a "slump" after two final 4's in four years. Whether you're winning 20 or 30 games per year, that is the very definition of success in college basketball, IMHO. I actually thought it was Mike Waters who wrote the article. Wasn't he arguing with Waters during the presser?

He was praising waters, but then turned his attention when it seems poliquin said something. And there were no off court references. I think the holistic perception is a team spiraling down because of the ncaa investigation.

Oh, thanks for clarifying. I thought he was really laying into Mike Waters.

That whole presser bothered me. Just relax JB.

Yeah, it rubbed me the wrong way too. He really can be a ahole sometimes.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Coleman's minutes were cut, they started winning. He does not look like a competent player. He's got some post moves but I don't think he is anywhere near athletic enough to man the five on D.

Hey man. This is a team that got beat by UCONN, Georgetown, St. John's (by 30+), and by BC. Our last two wins, which were on the heals of a huge roster shake up, have been against 2 very solid ACC teams. We'll see your Tarheels soon

Lydon sure would look good in baby blue.

Cuse has a squad imo. Battle looks like he has huge upside.

This thread is how I get my SU info. By page 3, I figured this was the best team since the mid 70s Hoosiers teams............Then, it became the gang that couldn't shoot straight.............Only in the last week or so to be revived like the Packers and Steelers were this year.

Now, they lay another egg.

They aren't coming to Buffalo, which is what I am interested in, that's for sure.

This thread is how I get my SU info. By page 3, I figured this was the best team since the mid 70s Hoosiers teams............Then, it became the gang that couldn't shoot straight.............Only in the last week or so to be revived like the Packers and Steelers were this year.

Now, they lay another egg.

They aren't coming to Buffalo, which is what I am interested in, that's for sure.

They are not making the tournament this year. Too many losses already & have you had a chance to look at their next 4 games. I think they play UNC, Notre Dame, Wake Forest & I believe Louisville. They will be lucky to go 1-3. Very disappointing.

They are not making the tournament this year. Too many losses already & have you had a chance to look at their next 4 games. I think they play UNC, Notre Dame, Wake Forest & I believe Louisville. They will be lucky to go 1-3. Very disappointing.

I hear you about the next four, which I did not know, but what was their record last year at this time?

Jim Boeheim said it best in his presser. If our guards don't play well, then we won't play well. AW3 cannot be the only player hitting shots. Battle hit a couple perimeter shots, but Gillon and Lydon were both ineffective from outside. Roberson's early fouls killed our defense. Also, I love Thompson for his offensive game, but he is a horrible defender at this point. Finally, Frank Howard is just terrible. Keep him out of the f*&^ing game!

I hope we bounce back nicely from this one. Get that swagger and intensity back. Go Orange.

BTW...I still think there is a chance for this team to make the tourney. A few quality ACC wins, and a little run in the ACC tourney, and I think we have a puncher's chance.

Jim Boeheim said it best in his presser. If our guards don't play well, then we won't play well. AW3 cannot be the only player hitting shots. Battle hit a couple perimeter shots, but Gillon and Lydon were both ineffective from outside. Roberson's early fouls killed our defense. Also, I love Thompson for his offensive game, but he is a horrible defender at this point. Finally, Frank Howard is just terrible. Keep him out of the f*&^ing game!

I hope we bounce back nicely from this one. Get that swagger and intensity back. Go Orange.

BTW...I still think there is a chance for this team to make the tourney. A few quality ACC wins, and a little run in the ACC tourney, and I think we have a puncher's chance.

TT getting screened in the middle of the zone was embarrassing. That's like a middle school mistake.

That being said, we still could have easily won that VT game. They were within 6 with the ball for a long stretch and just couldn't make a bucket. If they hadn't gone cold for a stretch, I have a feeling it would have been a real tight game at the end.

I hear you about the next four, which I did not know, but what was their record last year at this time?

Good point they were 13-7 last year at this time, not much better than this year, but after that reeled off 8 out of their next 9 including a win against a highly ranked Duke team. I am not sure they have it in them this year.

Good point they were 13-7 last year at this time, not much better than this year, but after that reeled off 8 out of their next 9 including a win against a highly ranked Duke team. I am not sure they have it in them this year.

There's actually an article about this year vs. last year on espn.com but it turned out to be an insider one so I couldn't read it.

If the guards play well we play well. Nice to see Roberson out there cracking heads again, and AW3 continues to lead this team by example. Battle is going to be so crucial to our chances at sniffing the tourney. If he continues to progress, especially defensively, he is going to be a matchup nightmare for other teams.

Top 300 2017 PG Howard Thompson was at the dome for the game yesterday with his buddy and 2017 commit Oshae Brissett. Hopefully his visit went well because we desperately need him.

Bring on the tarheels! Hey it's a long shot, but that's why you play the games.

- Lost to a very good UNC team. I believe they ran 9 deep today. I love Theo Pinson. Berry, Hicks, Meeks and Jackson. Pick your poison. Final 4 should be the expectation.

- Lydon played very well, per usual. He looked like he belonged on the court.

- Battle is so important to our success. Tonight he didn't seem to get it going.

- I can't remember a worse defensive team in the past 10-15 years. Gillon and Thompson contribute a lot to this.

- Rebounding is always difficult out of the zone, but this team is wonderfully horrible on the glass. Absolutely terrible. Roberson is the only player worth half a rat turd on the boards.

- Clearly, the best line-up is Lydon/Roberson/White/Battle/Gillon. Keep it simple, Boeheim. Thompson is good for a few 18 foot jumpers, but playing him over Roberson hurts to badly on defense and on the boards. Thompson should be playing 5-10 minutes unless Lydon is in foul trouble.

- Frank Howard is not good enough to step foot on the court. He sucks. If Gillon and Battle are not in foul trouble, please JB, leave him on the bench.

- Absolute must win up next on the road in ND.

Go Orange!

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I am frankly pretty pleased with that loss. That was a 6 point game pretty late. They showed resilience. And the defense was pretty good, considering the weapons that UNC has.

I think the game was lost on the offensive glass. UNC is just too big.

Ehhhh....defense when it was Lydon/Roberson was decent. The defense when it was Thompson/Lydon was horrid. Not to get down on the frosh too much, but he is a defensive liability out there. Also, the guards and White are not getting out on shooters. Too many uncontested perimeter shots.

So many ridiculous turnovers between Gillon throwing the ball away, and AW3 traveling. So hard to overcome against a team like UNC. Syracuse is just not built to out-rebound UNC, but I was hoping for a little more effort by everyone not named Roberson. Absolutely have to beat ND on the road to keep any NCAA tourney hopes alive, IMO.

Ehhhh....defense when it was Lydon/Roberson was decent. The defense when it was Thompson/Lydon was horrid. Not to get down on the frosh too much, but he is a defensive liability out there. Also, the guards and White are not getting out on shooters. Too many uncontested perimeter shots.

So many ridiculous turnovers between Gillon throwing the ball away, and AW3 traveling. So hard to overcome against a team like UNC. Syracuse is just not built to out-rebound UNC, but I was hoping for a little more effort by everyone not named Roberson. Absolutely have to beat ND on the road to keep any NCAA tourney hopes alive, IMO.

You're right. My expectations are so low at this point that I was rejoicing that we kept it close as long as we did.

On defense, TT cannot play the 5. And rebounding wise, only robey hits the glass. If Lydon and TT stay, I can see them being good rebounders one day.

By the way, AW needed to show up on offense or we needed to run more sets for him.