OK, let's do this: Tyrod Taylor

They lead the league in rushing with a lot of help from Tyrod.

This is still a false argument.

People said that Tyrod inflated the team's rushing ability last year, but when QB rushing yards are removed for all teams, the Bills finished 5th overall in rushing yards and 1st in yards/carry in 2015.

This year, I haven't done the work to normalize the stats for all teams, but even if you keep QB rushing yards in the equation for all other teams, and only remove Tyrod's rushing yards, the Bills rank 6th in the NFL in rushing yards overall. The team yards/carry average drops from 5.29 to 5.03, but that would still rank 1st in the NFL.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He works for the style of offense we want to run. Run first, options, etc. He has a good deep ball and mobility/escapability. He is a good QB when playing with the lead, but is not a good enough QB to win in a shootout. However, he is a much better passer with Sammy on the field.

I agree. I have been a big TT supporter. The thing that is beginning to trouble me though is his tendency to hold onto the football too long. He was driving me crazy yesterday. Not sure what he is seeing, but it seems like on a number of occassions he held the ball with an open receiver right in front of him. At least twice it cost them a first down.

Thank you Mike Nugent and the ref who nullified Tyrod's int with the PI.

Gonna cost us 2017 too now. Smh.

haha. only bills fans would find ways to minimize a win. but when we lose from something trivial we eat our own. it's a lose-lose.

I agree. I have been a big TT supporter. The thing that is beginning to trouble me though is his tendency to hold onto the football too long. He was driving me crazy yesterday. Not sure what he is seeing, but it seems like on a number of occassions he held the ball with an open receiver right in front of him. At least twice it cost them a first down.

i think the problem is that he wants to not be known as 'captain check down 2' as people so lovingly call him around here, so he's looking for a bigger play that's not always there, which grinds him into this all or nothing style. look downfield, hope for your 1st option and MAYBE 2nd option to get open, roll in the pocket to buy time, nothing there? take off or take sack. It's the same thing over and over.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

People said that Tyrod inflated the team's rushing ability last year, but when QB rushing yards are removed for all teams, the Bills finished 5th overall in rushing yards and 1st in yards/carry in 2015.

This year, I haven't done the work to normalize the stats for all teams, but even if you keep QB rushing yards in the equation for all other teams, and only remove Tyrod's rushing yards, the Bills rank 6th in the NFL in rushing yards overall. The team yards/carry average drops from 5.29 to 5.03, but that would still rank 1st in the NFL.

I'm also not sure why it's even brought up. Is it to dispute whether or not the Bills are a run-first team? Is that the argument?

Agree. Replace TT and we have a playoff team.

I'd like to see them get a quality pocket passer but beyond finding THAT guy then you also have to change some other personnel so it's not nearly as easy as you imply.

This isn't the Dallas OL that is full of stud athletes.......TT covers up for a lot of poor pass blockers, particularly on the interior and at the RT position. Replace Taylor with a pocket jockey and then Incognito, Wood, RT and possibly even John Miller become liabilities and the running game likely also naturally suffers a lot without Tyrod. Unless you are Belichick OL is the hardest unit on the field to re-tool so that is a scary idea shaking up a unit that is this functional.

I think right now the shortest distance between the Bills and a SB is to add a big playmaker on O and improve the D(always the easiest part of a team to improve) and try to win as a run first, big play offense.

For all the criticism......mine included......this offense does not actually lack for scoring punch.

Add another legit, big receiving target that TT can throw contested balls to opposite Watkins and then develop some more athletic OL and a quality young passer to make the transition to a more conventional offense over the next couple years.

The one even shorter route would be a platoon system between a guy like Romo and Tyrod.......but no coach since Shula has had the balls to do it.

I believe we were #2 in the NFL in rushing with all QB rushing yards eliminated last year. Not saying it's not a bonus but is the difference of #1 to #2 worth the fewest TD passes and 3rd fewest passing yards?

Well its hard to do well in both when you have the fewest passing attempts.

The one thing i'd wonder about having a non-mobile QB, is how effective our running game would be without his speed element. The options/read-options/zone-reads all get thrown out. Will we still be near the top of the league?

Edited by dneveu

What Tyrod does for the run game extends well beyond what his actual rushing numbers are.

I'd like to see them get a quality pocket passer but beyond finding THAT guy then you also have to change some other personnel so it's not nearly as easy as you imply.

This isn't the Dallas OL that is full of stud athletes.......TT covers up for a lot of poor pass blockers, particularly on the interior and at the RT position. Replace Taylor with a pocket jockey and then Incognito, Wood, RT and possibly even John Miller become liabilities and the running game likely also naturally suffers a lot without Tyrod. Unless you are Belichick OL is the hardest unit on the field to re-tool so that is a scary idea shaking up a unit that is this functional.

I think right now the shortest distance between the Bills and a SB is to add a big playmaker on O and improve the D(always the easiest part of a team to improve) and try to win as a run first, big play offense.

For all the criticism......mine included......this offense does not actually lack for scoring punch.

Add another legit, big receiving target that TT can throw contested balls to opposite Watkins and then develop some more athletic OL and a quality young passer to make the transition to a more conventional offense over the next couple years.

The one even shorter route would be a platoon system between a guy like Romo and Tyrod.......but no coach since Shula has had the balls to do it.

I think you are spot on with this. The o-line isn't as good as they look at pass pro without Tyrod. His ability to slip out of sacks is incredible. If we get a pocket qb it changes things dramatically as the opposing d game plan shifts. He isn't without flaws but outside of the top 5 qbs they all have warts. Tyrod has a record as the starter of 14-11. The team is top 10 in points since he has taken over the starting qb duties. He isn't perfect and he leaves some plays on the field. He isn't the worst starter in the league and he isn't the best. The Bills are paying him as the 20th highest qb in the league next year when his extension kicks in. To all of the people that think he sucks do you think he is the 20th best qb in the league?

Buffalo is 19th in the league in ypg, 8th in ppg, 4th in ints by the qb, and 1st in TOs. The offense is playing alright. It is ugly at times and a lot of it can be traced to Tyrod but can we stop proclaiming him to be the worst qb in the league? This team still scores points even if it isn't pretty. He is fun to watch, he is maddening to watch. On the offense alone RT and WR are a bigger problem than TT. Fix those, let TT continue to grow, and bring in another young guy to groom next year.

Lastly, enjoy the wins. The Bills just won 2 straight and very few are happy with that. I don't care how they won. You root for the freaking Buffalo Bills. They are 6-5 going into December. Have some fun and save the hand wringing for the off season.

Edited by section122

This morning on WGR, Jeremey White mentioned that at the end of the season, the Bills could cut Tyrod to void the contract and renegotiate with him. I think that might not be a bad idea, because theres no way hes worth 16-17 million for next season. Im thinking Tyrod is more worth in the 11-12 million range. I dont know, might be a crazy idea, because some other team could try to negotiate or out bid us on him, but realistically, who would want him next year?

Again, my thinking is theres no way hes worth the contract they currently have set up. I say do it, cut him and renegotiate.

That happens every damn game!! But, you're right! Yesterday, he had Clay RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM and still ran to the sideline on 3rd fing down!!! It's almost like he doesn't want to make the 1st down! I mean, I know I'm not on the field, but seriously, what the hell is he looking for?!?!?!?!? I mean, "COME ON, MAN!"

Replace him with who? Who is sitting around that would be better?

I've watched every game of 2 teams this year, Bills and Broncos. And I can't say that Tyrod Taylor is better or worse overall than Trevor Siemien. That's not really meant as a knock on Tyrod. Siemien's been pretty good. He now has a slightly better QB rating than Tyrod. And while he has had Thomas and Sanders, he's had a really poor running game and RB situation, so I don't think he really has more offensive weapons. So why do I bring this up? 1. Because Siemien is dirt cheap for at least 2 more years. Tyrod isn't. 2. Because if the question is "where do I find someone at least as good as Tyrod out there," my answer is that if you aren't finding them (Prescott, or 2015 7th rounder Siemien) you aren't doing your job.

The extended plays where TT couldn't find an open receiver were infuriating. If the receivers are not open on those plays he needs to throw down and be all over them for not doing enough. If they are open, which I think they are for the most part, then he needs to do a better job finding them.

It's like he's on the cusp of being a really good quarterback but at the same time the things holding him back are very basic. Identifying open receivers quickly is another weakness for him.

What Tyrod does for the run game extends well beyond what his actual rushing numbers are.

Of course that's true, but the implication that the run game is inflated by his rushing totals is patently false.

The corollary, of course, is that a consistent pocket passer that can hurt teams with his intermediate game would do just as much good for the run game as a QB that can run.

Edited by thebandit27

This is why I find Tyrod so maddening. Late late late on this throw with no good reason for it. :cry:

@NickVeronica

Charles Clay looks pretty open here. I'm sure there's a reason Tyrod waited so long to throw it to him. ... Oh.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CyXhiuwUQAAVy5Y.mp4

He's late because he's afraid of picks. Can't get intercepted if you don't throw.

This is why I find Tyrod so maddening. Late late late on this throw with no good reason for it. :cry:

@NickVeronica

Charles Clay looks pretty open here. I'm sure there's a reason Tyrod waited so long to throw it to him. ... Oh.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CyXhiuwUQAAVy5Y.mp4

Doesn't trust his eyes.