Rex - love or hate he gets a pass on 2016

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the 2016 Buffalo Bills are still looking really good right now at 4-3 after seven games -187 PF vs 130 PA and currently are #2 in the AFC East.

The Bills are entering the most difficult part of their season against the Patriots and Seahawks and this without their best offensive player in LeSean McCoy who helps make the entire team win games. A depleted WR corps with the #1 WR on IR, the #2 WR back from a foot injury who was "limited" in practice this week and is 50-50 to even play. Meanwhile, the #3 WR is out with a concussion!''

This leaves Brandon Tate, Justin Hunter, Walter Powell, and just up from the PS Ed Eagan as the wide receivers. Not to mention that starting TE Charles Clay was also "limited" in practice as was the backup RB Mike Gillislee "limited" :blink:

Let's say we revisit this thought towards the end of the season.

Good luck with that, Tyrod.

Im laughing at the calls for WR.. We have WR's unfortunately our QB does not see a full field.. Injuries happen. You could put the best WR's in the league in there and it won't be a difference maker for this team... I like TT but he will never be a pure pocket passing QB. He has ot do more with his legs and buy time

I do nto recall tons of dropped passes and we have WR open most every play.. TT just doesn't find them.. Just not his strength

So we shouldn't have gone into the season with more than a quality #1 with injury issues (including a serious, known foot injury), a marginal #2 in Woods, a perpetually injured speedster in Goodwin and nothing else but hope?

Have you taken a look at the wide receivers we are marching out since Sammy went down?

Have you looked at the Depth at the positions that really matter to a Run 2st team. Cant put it all on Whaley Rex wanted a team built a specific way. Whaley did that

Injuries are not an excuse.

EVERY team has key injuries. With that said I think Rex and company will be back unless a collapse happens. But I expect an 8-8/7-9 season and everyone back next year..... Where we will most likely see another 7-9/8-8 season. Life as a Bills fan.

...yeah actually they are a pretty solid excuse...

Pick any team and remove their most critical offensive and defensive player and they likely miss the playoffs

We will finish better than 8 and 8. Our injuries have been to top players and with the exception of Shady they have been filled OK. Marcel has let us down big time. None of this is a Rex problem. Since our OC was replaced we have been better. TT is a second year starter. Give him a break. He is exciting and gives us a lot to cheer for. Lot better than other years. We are in a good situation and need to be behind our team. Remember in the summer when we had a ton of receivers and we said who will go? Now the best are on IR or in a boot. I like our coaches a lot. Go Bills.

No way Whaley gets fired. He's assembled one of best rosters in many years.

who are the backup WRs? Safeties? RBs (I know, Gillislee but apparently they don't want to use him at all. Instead they go with Bush). I don't disagree that Whaley has found some great talents at spots. But he's also left this team incredibly thin at spots. Positions that he knew would be issues like WR and Safety with the 2 main contributors having an injury history.

I say we just use this excuse every year.

The fans buy it so why not?

Who gets blamed for no depth behind Watkins coming off of Jones fracture surgery?

Depth behind AW?

And an injury to McCoy was inevitable. 28 YO back with a lot of mileage.

The "woe is me" with injuries is so lame. It's football and some guys are more likely to get injured/are more injury prone than others. See above.

With that said, I think Rex is back next year for sure.

:thumbsup: Great post but everything you cite is on Whaley. I'm sure you will get the you can't be deep at every position but since scoring is important in this game you need to be deep on offense. Those that will say we are a run first team and are deep in the run oriented positions I disagree. Are we really deep at Running back give Shady's age, size and history of RARELY being 100% as a Buffalo Bill. This is on Whaley, he is too much of a gambler. **** he was willing to go into a season with EJ Manual and Jeff Tuel as a backup until cooler heads prevailed.

I would say those are good reasons to maybe give him a break now and again but to say he gets a full pass for an entire year, no. Especially since I don't think these excuses would be made if our current coach was Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, etc.

I don't hide my opinions of Rex very well, but I've also said that I wouldn't make any final opinions on his fate until the season is over.

However, these are some points that stick out for me so far:

• He's accountable for our 0-2 start. If we win those games, like we are supposed to, then we are very much in control of our playoff destiny. You get graded on the whole season, not your recent 4-1 record. It's easy to get caught up in the moment.
  • He absolutely influenced the draft decisions, so he owns our lack of depth at RB and WR. Shaq and Ragland are Rex picks. I'm not going to knock the picks, here at least, but he does own the final roster and it's current flaws
  • Vikings lost AP and Teddy and still are getting it done. Injuries happen. Our 4-0 run occurred with injuries everywhere. It doesn't give you a total free pass.
  • If ever there was a season to steal a playff spot, it's this one. There really isn't a dominant team out there in the AFC besides the Pats.

I think Rex has gotten better this year, but we have to stop accepting 8-8. If we lose out on the playoffs via tie-breaker but we are right there in it, I will listen to the idea of keeping him. I agree that we can't keep trying. But I'm not going to talk about his job security halfway through the season.

You can agree or disagree on Rex's coaching ability but to be fair to the guy it is really hard to win with injuries/suspensions to 6 of your top players - Watkins, Shady, Dareus, Glenn, Lawson and now A. Williams. Four of those guys had legit chances at the ProBowl. To be above 0.500 at this point is amazing even if the schedule has been light and there are some very bad losses.

The defense is better. The pass rush is better. Barring an epic collapse or Pegula firing Whaley and the new GM wanting his/her new coach, Rex will be back.

This isn't a revelation that he's not getting fired before next season. Pegula has made this clear. The real question is how many years of mediocrity will it take?

Because no, he gets no pass. He owns the record and it will fold right into his career summary of underachiement. The day they decide having a marginal record with a winning teams media attention isnt good enough- they will kick him to the curb.

But I'm biased. I prefer those that walk the walk without a word over those that talk the talk without results.

No way Whaley gets fired. He's assembled one of best rosters in many years.

I agree. He stays, and barring an epic collapse, Rex will be back. This team is too injury depleted right now for a playoff run. 8-8, 9-7 is the best they'll do like this unless they can by some miracle win 2 of the next 3.

Does he get a pass for the Jets game? The Ravens flop? The Miami game? The training staff that doesn't seem to be able to keep people healthy? Waiting until after game two to replace Roman? Using McCoy against Miami so that now he's of little or no use against NE? Keeping EJ as the backup while wasting a pick on Cardale (He might develop into a fine QB some day but the team really needed a reliable, NFL-ready backup this year)? No, he doesn't get a pass.

What matters is what the Pegulas think and they have stated publicly that they believe CONTINUITY is the key to winning long term. They plan to stick with REX for the foreseeable future.....and rightly so.

The Steelers are the perfect model. They've only had three HCs since the 1960's.

Rex has shown that he is an above average NFL HC, esp. given the proven staff that he has assembled.

If the Bills can get their core players back on the field for the duration of the season I firmly believe that Rex will lead them to the playoffs in 2016.