I hope Whaley is on the phone with Chicago

Bubba Gump

They probably lose Jeffrey next year - and they probably get a 3rd for the comp. pick. Its not a great return, but its about what people would likely be offering.

I agree, unless there is a backup somewhere that they think can be their franchise QB. (Who is available for trade) then I can see them doing it. Otherwise stay pat, they cut Cutler, draft a QB and sight Hopkins if possible.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming that Chicago would be interested in EJ (At this point I'm not sure if they even want to be winning games, they might prefer just a pick for Jeffrey) here's my take -

At some point we are probably also going to need a backup QB this season, and I think EJ gives us a better chance to win those games than Cardale right now. I'd also be intrigued to see how EJ does under Lynn. Also, for a WR to come in right now, you're probably looking at 3 weeks before he can pick up enough of the offense to contribute in a meaningful way.

No thanks no reason to move assets for a WR until the QB improves throwing the football

IMO TT throws the ball well enough that a WR would make a difference. It isn't like he bounces it off the turf every play. But, I don't see how we can acquire and it would work for both teams.

And he's going to waive his FULL no-trade clause to come to Buffalo...

They probably lose Jeffrey next year - and they probably get a 3rd for the comp. pick. Its not a great return, but its about what people would likely be offering.

Actually Rivers should waive his no trade clause if he really cares more about football than getting a suntan. That being said, he's staying in San Diego. As far as the whole EJ trade for Jeffrey, I don't think it would be a bad idea. If McCoy is out for any period of time we would have no playmakers on offense outside of the QB position. We are running on close to empty as far as offensive playmakers go. Shady has performed at a level that has been able to hide that fact. My only concern is that in reality no one is going to give more than a late round pick for EJ. A QB of his caliber can be found anywhere. Is EJ really that much better than Barkley? I don't think so.

To acquire a playmaker on offense we would to have to give up more. A previous poster mentioned offering a guy like Dareus in a trade. Trading Dareus for an offense playmaker is something that I wouldn't be opposed to. Rex has proven this season that he has the ability to scheme a quality defense without superstar players. It's something that Rex has been able to do in the past as well. Giving up a defensive player to acquire an offense player seems like a fair trade for where this team is at right now.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Actually Rivers should waive his no trade clause if he really cares more about football than getting a suntan. That being said, he's staying in San Diego. As far as the whole EJ trade for Jeffrey, I don't think it would be a bad idea. If McCoy is out for any period of time we would have no playmakers on offense outside of the QB position. We are running on close to empty as far as offensive playmakers go. Shady has performed at a level that has been able to hide that fact. My only concern is that in reality no one is going to give more than a late round pick for EJ. A QB of his caliber can be found anywhere. Is EJ really that much better than Barkley? I don't think so.

To acquire a playmaker on offense we would to have to give up more. A previous poster mentioned offering a guy like Dareus in a trade. Trading Dareus for an offense playmaker is something that I wouldn't be opposed to. Rex has proven this season that he has the ability to scheme a quality defense without superstar players. It's something that Rex has been able to do in the past as well. Giving up a defensive player to acquire an offense player seems like a fair trade for where this team is at right now.

Easy to say that - but he has like 9 kids. Kids are in schools. He also added it so that he gets the choice of where to go should they move on from him.

We can't trade dareus because it would put us massively over the salary cap this year. We can't even trade/release him next year as it costs more on our cap than keeping him would.

Cams Wr last year were?

Rookie Dak Prescott is throwing to who?

Wentz WR are who again?

My point is we run the same freaking concept. Run the football play defense. That is what our coach does, so lets spend assets on a player that goes against that philosophy

No it isn't.

Your point, in two threads now, is very clear: "no reason to move assets for a WR until the QB improves throwing the football".

Trading EJ would be a mistake.

Not acquiring AJ in a trade means nothing. Doesn't mean we tried and couldn't make it happen. Doesn't mean Whaley is asleep at the wheel. Doesn't mean anything.

s

I just believe that if EJ plays we lose, or our running game is so good that game it doesn't matter who our QB is. I just don't view EJ as an asset in anyway. If EJ is our starting QB for any length of time our hopes for the playoffs can be thrown out the window imo. This is the case with most teams backup QB's. If we could really acquire a starter for a backup, it's a trade I'd take everytime. The reality of the matter is that it's not going to happen anyway.

why would jeffrey not be part of their rebuild plan? there are no current rumors that they want to trade him. they have 40 million in cap space next season - possibly more with a cap increase. he is young and their best weapon. frankly, i could see them tagging him one more time. if he was going to get traded...we would be hearing something...only one week left to get it done.

GM's value draft picks dearly - giving up a second or third (which is what it will take) for an 8 game player is too rich for these guys blood.

I'd rather keep EJ. At least he can stay healthy. And besides, if TT got hurt, who would we put in that at least knows the system well enough to run it right now? Jones isn't ready yet. Bears are better off talking to the Jets for one of their useless QB's. We'll keep what we have.

I just believe that if EJ plays we lose, or our running game is so good that game it doesn't matter who our QB is. I just don't view EJ as an asset in anyway. If EJ is our starting QB for any length of time our hopes for the playoffs can be thrown out the window imo. This is the case with most teams backup QB's. If we could really acquire a starter for a backup, it's a trade I'd take everytime. The reality of the matter is that it's not going to happen anyway.

EJ played against SFO, and not just in garbage time.

I actually really like the wrinkle he provides as a power running QB who's a threat to throw...while TT is on the field.

Plus, he's our backup. The guy behind him--we're led to believe--isn't ready to go. I don't think that EJ plays = loss is as much of a foregone conclusion to presume Cardale would be a lateral move. And more importantly, QB's get screwy when they get tossed into the mix prematurely. Let's not risk that with Cardale if we don't have to.

I don't see a good reason to get rid of EJ, frankly. He's worth more to us on the roster.

The bears will get a mid round comp pick for him walking anyway. So assume they want a first, 2nd, or two mid round picks.

On paper that is true, but as we've seen when you have to sign decent free agents in the off season you don't get those picks. It seems to me the bears are going to sign free agent talent so they may be willing to deal for less than the comp pick. That said, I don't think it makes sense for us between the one year rental for draft assets, the cost and our offensive philosophy being run heavy. It could be problematic if defenses find a way to stop our running game but I don't think the value of getting him is there.

EJ played against SFO, and not just in garbage time.

I actually really like the wrinkle he provides as a power running QB who's a threat to throw...while TT is on the field.

Plus, he's our backup. The guy behind him--we're led to believe--isn't ready to go. I don't think that EJ plays = loss is as much of a foregone conclusion to presume Cardale would be a lateral move. And more importantly, QB's get screwy when they get tossed into the mix prematurely. Let's not risk that with Cardale if we don't have to.

I don't see a good reason to get rid of EJ, frankly. He's worth more to us on the roster.

Fair enough, but hypothetically speaking there's no way I wouldn't trade him for a decent WR at this point if it could be done. I love what Lynn has done, but honestly I don't like seeing EJ on the field. I could easily live without the EJ packages. If I were an opposing DC I wouldn't be afraid of him throwing when he's in the game. You know he's in there much like Tebow in his wildcat package back in the day. Imagine the backlash against Lynn and Rex if EJ threw a damaging pick because we had him enter the game to throw one random pass. Once again I like Lynn, but I think OC's outsmart themselves with these stupid backup QB wildcat packages.

I'd rather keep EJ. At least he can stay healthy. And besides, if TT got hurt, who would we put in that at least knows the system well enough to run it right now? Jones isn't ready yet. Bears are better off talking to the Jets for one of their useless QB's. We'll keep what we have.

If TT gets hurt the season is over.

Again, a great point. Stick with Walking Boot Woods, Hands of Clay, and the "uncoverable" Goodwin until TT improves as a passer.

Did you think this made more sense the second time you posted it?

Yeah. Its like chicken and egg. Can't be a good passer throwing to our bunch

I will say this about Clay, once SW went out and Clay got more targets, I think he looks pretty good