Rob Quinn: Rex might be one of the NFL's Best Head Coaches

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The media in this country is no longer about disseminating accurate, insightful information.

Well, 99% of it isn't, anyway.

It's about revenue generation. Best thing to do is ignore most of it, and read the NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, or whatever legitimate news source you prefer.

Al Jazeera is actually much better than many US news outlets now.

99% of the media should be discredited yet you mention among the largest outlets as being credible? May want to check your math or your opinion.

Edited by Triple Threat

Let me break it down. Winning three more means the Bills will have swept the Patriots, even with Tom Brady playing. Is that clearer or do I need to draw pictures?

:lol:

I think he is referring to that Brady didn't play the first game.

Yeah, I thought that was obvious, but with PTR....

"Now you might not believe it, but under fire Rex Ryan is one of the... finest football coaches in the world. All he needs is somebody to throw hand grenades at him the rest of his life."

I think this is a fine sentence. And I always liked Rob Quinn. He is not in the 99%. straight shooter imo.

He has an opinion. I am cool with that.

this is absolutely ridiculous and shows how idiotic the media can be, he was being drawn and quartered 3 weeks ago as the worst coach in the nfl since kay stephenson, now all of a sudden he's the best ever???? the media seems to love to throw things out there in a kind of blind squirrel type of thing. he's always been a very good coach, but sometimes in some professions, very good people aren't given the time necessary at one spot to build and prove their value.

It's almost as if "the media" is not a monolithic entity, and different journalists with different opinions wrote the columns you are comparing.

I hate how bi-polar the media is.

0-2 - Rex is the worst coach in the league

3-2 - Rex is the best coach in the league

Sigh

The problem with this type of response (and from many others in this thread, not trying to single you out) is that the phrase "the media" assumes, in this context, that every media member is joined in some sort of collective group-think and there is no individualism among them. It would be different if, perhaps, this same individual author who wrote Rex might be one of the best coaches in the league after Week 5, also wrote that he was one of the worst after Week 2. That would be something to complain about. For all we know, this guy has always thought Rex to one of the best, and now he is choosing to write about it. But to be exasperated because other media members, not connected to this guy in any way, were blasting Rex at 0-2 just makes no sense. This will always happen, in any situation or circumstance.

The problem with this type of response (and from many others in this thread, not trying to single you out) is that the phrase "the media" assumes, in this context, that every media member is joined in some sort of collective group-think and there is no individualism among them. It would be different if, perhaps, this same individual author who wrote Rex might be one of the best coaches in the league after Week 5, also wrote that he was one of the worst after Week 2. That would be something to complain about. For all we know, this guy has always thought Rex to one of the best, and now he is choosing to write about it. But to be exasperated because other media members, not connected to this guy in any way, were blasting Rex at 0-2 just makes no sense. This will always happen, in any situation or circumstance.

I've known Rob in some capacity for years now (he's my editor now so I'm naturally going to defend him :) ). He's not a knee-jerk kind of guy with his writing. Just a case here that it's giving credit where it's due.

Things have changed in Year 2 under Rex. Some of those are off the field, where he's starting to sit back and take a better overview of the team. Whether it lasts, we'll see. For now, it's worth pointing out that Rex is at least trying to change his approach for the benefit of the team. It's working.

I've known Rob in some capacity for years now (he's my editor now so I'm naturally going to defend him :) ). He's not a knee-jerk kind of guy with his writing. Just a case here that it's giving credit where it's due.

Things have changed in Year 2 under Rex. Some of those are off the field, where he's starting to sit back and take a better overview of the team. Whether it lasts, we'll see. For now, it's worth pointing out that Rex is at least trying to change his approach for the benefit of the team. It's working.

It seems as if Rex is maturing as an NFL HC from his Jets days and the 1st year with the Bills. When he got here last season, he said he would make the sames mistakes. Finally taking heed let us all hope.

It seems as if Rex is maturing as an NFL HC from his Jets days and the 1st year with the Bills. When he got here last season, he said he would make the sames mistakes. Finally taking heed let us all hope.

I've said for a while now that I want my HC to be a guy that can take a backward step and let his coordinators work. Essentially be the CEO of the coaching staff, just ensuring that his guys have what they need to be successful.

If Rex is taking a permanent step toward that, one of my biggest issues with Rex disappears. I can't help but think that this team really could get on a roll, I think Rex is a big part of that.

What a load of crock. Last year alone makes sure he doesn't qualify. 3 straight wins and we get this? We need like 9 more to land the playoffs. Then maybe, just maybe coach of the year material, but that is being overly optimistic already.

There is a fair amount of group-think involved though, because their interest is to sell ads. Using 'extreme' headlines results in clicks/eyes, which results in ad $$$.

So yes, saying 'REX IS THE WORST' or "REX IS THE BEST' is a lot more likely on average, instead of 'Rex is middle of the road coach, and it greatly depends on his talent and his relationship with the GM'. Nuance isn't allowed when selling ads.

One of the very most important elements of being a HC is assembling a staff. This year he added Ed Reed and John Blake and Rob, who is responsible for linebackers and red zone defense, both of which have shined. The DL this year is getting great production. He made the switch to Lynn which he deserves credit for and which in my mind turned the season around, although he also, naturally, gets the blame for not making Roman do many of these same things that Lynn is doing. Kromer is also a terrific hire.

The play on the field Sunday by Buffalo’s offense drew a lot of the attention with new offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn behind some difference making adjustments in the Bills Week 3 win over Arizona. But there was a bit of a change with the way defensive calls were made in Sunday’s win as well.

Instead of head coach Rex Ryan making the defensive calls, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman was entrusted with calling the plays on defense Sunday, and the results were encouraging. So much so that Ryan intends to leave those duties in Thurman’s hands moving forward.

“Dennis did a great job,” said Ryan of Thurman’s play calling Sunday. “I think we’ll do this (going forward). It’s not like we don’t have communication. We always have open lines of communication. If I was calling it or Dennis was calling it we would still be there with each other and always will be.”

The only win for the Jets was against the Bills with Rex calling the D plays , hmmm

The play on the field Sunday by Buffalos offense drew a lot of the attention with new offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn behind some difference making adjustments in the Bills Week 3 win over Arizona. But there was a bit of a change with the way defensive calls were made in Sundays win as well.

Instead of head coach Rex Ryan making the defensive calls, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman was entrusted with calling the plays on defense Sunday, and the results were encouraging. So much so that Ryan intends to leave those duties in Thurmans hands moving forward.

Dennis did a great job, said Ryan of Thurmans play calling Sunday. I think well do this (going forward). Its not like we dont have communication. We always have open lines of communication. If I was calling it or Dennis was calling it we would still be there with each other and always will be.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Dennis-Thurman-to-continue-handling-defensive-play-calls-/4647e345-6bec-4a2a-9938-62e9a93edf41

The only win for the Jets was against the Bills with Rex calling the D plays , hmmm

Fitz blew his load vs Buffalo. He hasn't been the same since that game. I don't know what else the defense could have done to counter perfect ball placement and insane catches by the WRs.

Jets haven't come close to that game all year.

Fitz blew his load vs Buffalo. He hasn't been the same since that game. I don't know what else the defense could have done to counter perfect ball placement and insane catches by the WRs.

Jets haven't come close to that game all year.

facts. I'm very confident in the rematch.

The two best decisions he's made this season was letting his DC actually be the DC and let him run the defense (finally), and turning over the offense to Anthony Lynn. Adding his brother to the staff is also paying big dividends.

The real test of where this team is really at comes when they face the Patriots and Seahawks. If they win either one of those games, they're going to the playoffs. If they sweep the Pats, they should win the division.

One of the very most important elements of being a HC is assembling a staff. This year he added Ed Reed and John Blake and Rob, who is responsible for linebackers and red zone defense, both of which have shined. The DL this year is getting great production. He made the switch to Lynn which he deserves credit for and which in my mind turned the season around, although he also, naturally, gets the blame for not making Roman do many of these same things that Lynn is doing. Kromer is also a terrific hire.

It seems that old hard head is actually becoming a viable Head Coach. Because of what you have listed.

Lot of games left, but the ship has certainly righted itself over last season. And that is not just dumb luck.

What a load of crock. Last year alone makes sure he doesn't qualify. 3 straight wins and we get this? We need like 9 more to land the playoffs. Then maybe, just maybe coach of the year material, but that is being overly optimistic already.

Which would be ironic given that the improvement appears to be based on the addition and movement of coaches to take over all the "coaching" he was doing.

So now that he's not coaching or play calling, he's one helluva a head coach!!!

Whatever works... kudos to whomever it was that figured it out.

Don't forget he turned over play calling too. He's head cheerleader and PR man now and it's a much better fit.

Which would be ironic given that the improvement appears to be based on the addition and movement of coaches to take over all the "coaching" he was doing.

So now that he's not coaching or play calling, he's one helluva a head coach!!!

Whatever works... kudos to whomever it was that figured it out.

Don't forget he turned over play calling too. He's head cheerleader and PR man now and it's a much better fit.

Right! He has nothing to do with the design of the defense and the gameday management. :rolleyes:

It seems that old hard head is actually becoming a viable Head Coach. Because of what you have listed.

Lot of games left, but the ship has certainly righted itself over last season. And that is not just dumb luck.

I've been known to have a hard head myself. Speaking from experience, I don't always correct my faults right away. However, when I do finally learn my lesson, I never revert back to the same mistakes. Being bullheaded/hardheaded isn't all bad. Shows you got some fight in you. Just takes a while for things to sink into your thick skull.