The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, in an interview in 2015.

I'm not gonna get into a protracted debate with you on this. Believe what you will. It's silly to argue anyway. Marv talked about "football character" a lot when he was coach. Both in the media and in person at various functions. I know what I heard personally and what I read at the time.

Perhaps Marv forgot he and Polian took a chance on Reggie Rogers when nobody else would touch him. Not exactly the archetype "good family guy" or "good citizen."

ok. Well, maybe you're right and you know what Marv meant better than him.

No, I don't think benching him is the same as throwing him under the bus to the media. Not even close, in fact. The former is something a good coach has to do to maintain credibility with his players, the latter is the antithesis of that.

It will be interesting to see how MW responds to the criticism by his DC made public in the Miami press.

Point taken.

OK I understand the Jets and Fish with their signings, but who else?

Dareus :ph34r:

the excuse that Mario wasn't trying but was better than IK doesn't mean anything

Of course it does. Offenses still respected his side of the field.

I do not recall much of anyone calling him to be benched during the season. Small pockets of discontent perhaps and then a realization.

But the theme was Fire REX. He ruined the whole defense. That was popular the opinion.

Nice that some of you have now decided rex was wrong for not benching him.

Ryan can do no right by some of you

ok. Well, maybe you're right and you know what Marv meant better than him.

Uh oh, the snark card.

How's this smart guy, I was actually in the room with most of the scouting department when Marv specifically used the term "football character" in describing desirable traits in players.

And I don't think Marv was using the term "character" in the same context in that 2015 interview, either. You can hold a 90 year old Marv to the letter of what he meant for all time. Feel free. But I don't recall you being there.

And it's utterly preposterous to assert that a 6'6" 300lb former first overall pick had to be put into precisely the right conditions to achieve even modest success in the NFL.

In 2015 he finished 497th in tackles and tied for 68th in sacks, which means there could have been more than two guys on every NFL team, including his own, who had more sacks than he did.

Coaching my ass.

Not preposterous at all that a prototypical wide 9 defensive end and perennial pro-bowler got put into a space eating edge containing blockade and said "eff this I'm mailing it in because my stupid coach doesn't know how to use me. And these linebackers we are doing clean up for suck"

fits the situation like a glove, if you care to see it.

Not preposterous at all that a prototypical wide 9 defensive end and perennial pro-bowler got put into a space eating edge containing blockade and said "eff this I'm mailing it in because my stupid coach doesn't know how to use me. And these linebackers we are doing clean up for suck"

What is the issue THIS year?

Except that he had Pro Bowl years NOT playing in a Wide 9. Bottom line is that MW certainly possessed the athletic prowess to excel in ANY defensive scheme; he was that freakish of an athlete, especially for someone that size.

There were whispers in the scouting community last year that MW had lost his explosiveness. That may have been the case, but he flat out quit on his teammates, coaches, and fans.

And Rex Ryan was an idiot for trying to appease everybody by playing a hybrid defense when he just should have told anyone not willing to buy in that they could enjoy riding the pine.

Except that he had Pro Bowl years NOT playing in a Wide 9. Bottom line is that MW certainly possessed the athletic prowess to excel in ANY defensive scheme; he was that freakish of an athlete, especially for someone that size.

There were whispers in the scouting community last year that MW had lost his explosiveness. That may have been the case, but he flat out quit on his teammates, coaches, and fans.

And Rex Ryan was an idiot for trying to appease everybody by playing a hybrid defense when he just should have told anyone not willing to buy in that they could enjoy riding the pine.

This

What is the issue THIS year?

Who knows.... ultimately, none of us know the guy.

Maybe it's something off the field distracting him.

Maybe he's just to the point where he's done and thought it was Rex last year but really he's just over the game.

Maybe he's declining physically.

Maybe there's a small but nagging injury ala the wrist.

Maybe a variety

Maybe he's just to the point where he's done and thought it was Rex last year but really he's just over the game.

Maybe a variety

Yup. And maybe he realized in training camp that his team sucked and he had no chance to sniff the playoffs again so he gave up before it even started.

Yup. And maybe he realized in training camp that his team sucked and he had no chance to sniff the playoffs again so he gave up before it even started.

Yup.

At some level it wouldn't be shocking for a guy that's got over $100m and passions off the field to maybe not lay it all on the line every Sunday for something he hasn't bought into. I'm not saying it's behavior to put on a pedestal but... it's not far fetched or unheard of.

Yup.

At some level it wouldn't be shocking for a guy that's got over $100m and passions off the field to maybe not lay it all on the line every Sunday for something he hasn't bought into. I'm not saying it's behavior to put on a pedestal but... it's not far fetched or unheard of.

Great. Then we all agree. He voluntarily made himself a non-factor. Rex was and remains entirely unrelated.

So you would have played IK ?

Yes. There was pretty much zero reason to trot Mario out there given the **** he was pulling. Wrong message to send to a team with so many young players. Belichick woulda cut Mario for pulling that bull ****.

I'd rather lose with guys who are trying to win than watch a guy with superstar talent mail it in down after down.

Yes. There was pretty much zero reason to trot Mario out there given the **** he was pulling. Wrong message to send to a team with so many young players. Belichick woulda cut Mario for pulling that bull ****.

I'd rather lose with guys who are trying to win than watch a guy with superstar talent mail it in down after down.

agreed

Maybe a variety

Maybe someone is raiding his mini-fridge with his spiked drinks and no one on staff will not do anything.

Maybe he missing nights out with Jerry Sullivan.

Maybe means nothing.