Should the Bills move on from Dareus?

Tipster19

One thing that I haven't seen talked about much is Dareus never buying into Rex's system. Some of the success of the D last couple games was DL occupying blockers while LBs make tackles - while Dareus wants to just pin his ears back and rush. Also - when I re-watched the Az game I saw Kyle W drop into coverage at least twice - something I'm sure Dareus will not be happy with if he is asked to do it.

His maturity also now has to translate to the football field and do what he is asked to do (even if it isn't what he wants to do) without pouting and complaining for the overall benefit of the D/team a la Kyle W

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have never thought this before but after hearing him in his presser I think that this kid just doesn't get it. Seems like when this team needs him the most he can't be found, he's always suspended. Locking up 100 million dollars on this bonehead who is 1 strike away sure doesn't seem like a good sound investment to me. Funny thing is it seems like we have been finding a way to win without him. Now that we have been forced to find FAs who are doing a very admirable job and being very close to getting Shaq back I believe that it would be in the Bills' best interest to move on from this immature idiot and find a better way to spend that massive amount of money on more mature and responsible players.

I think the best course of action might be to see what you can get out of him this year in Rex's new defense. If he has a strong year, sell high. I think he is a ticking time bomb.

Last time we let an elite talent go with 1 strike left he becane a Hall of Fame candidate in Seattle. Let it play out. I don't see teams offering a 1 for him. The risk is worth taking over a draft pick less than that.

Good post but in fairness, that elite talent lost his starting job fair and square to Fred Jackson- off the field stuff totally aside.

I wouldn't.

Someone posted comments he made last summer when he was suspended. He mostly said stuff like, they want me to do this, they talked about this, they believe in me, etc. A bunch of they comments.

This press conference it sounded like he was the one pursuing help and figuring out what he needs to do. He said stuff like, I wanted to seek out professionals. I wanted help with my decision making. I wanted to be pro active. I saw an issue in myself. etc.

Not sure if that means he really wants to or has changed, someone coached him up to say it that way, or what, but it was just something I noticed.

Honestly I can't blame him for getting frustrated during the press conference. They were basically asking him everything that happened over the past month, what the counseling was about, etc. That stuff is private and I know I wouldn't want to talk about that. As usual, the reporters were harping on the same thing, just asking the questions in slightly different ways. I didn't see him acting like a jerk, maybe frustrated, but that's understandable.

Edited by elroy16

I wouldn't.

Honestly I can't blame him for getting frustrated during the press conference. They were basically asking him everything that happened over the past month, what the counseling was about, etc. That stuff is private and I know I wouldn't want to talk about that. As usual, the reporters were harping on the same thing, just asking the questions in slightly different ways. I didn't see him acting like a jerk, maybe frustrated, but that's understandable.

Right. Let the man play ball. Makes no sense cutting him at the cap hit, especially if he can still ball.

I would have never thought this before but after hearing him in his presser I think that this kid just doesn't get it. Seems like when this team needs him the most he can't be found, he's always suspended. Locking up 100 million dollars on this bonehead who is 1 strike away sure doesn't seem like a good sound investment to me. Funny thing is it seems like we have been finding a way to win without him. Now that we have been forced to find FAs who are doing a very admirable job and being very close to getting Shaq back I believe that it would be in the Bills' best interest to move on from this immature idiot and find a better way to spend that massive amount of money on more mature and responsible players.

Great idea, Jerry Sullivan. :doh:

Determining whether an individual is being truthful and/or sincere in any interview setting, much less a public one, is completely subjective and dependent upon many factors/variables. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not he refrains from engaging in behavior, from this point forward, that adversely affects his own welfare, his role with the team, and the team itself. That is not something anyone can predict from a press conference. While it is true that past behavior can often times be the best predictor of future behavior, that is not always the case. The world is full of people who have made far worse mistakes than Marcell Dareus, and who have gone on to become better people - perhaps even some of us on this board...

He has to prove himself, that is for certain. I, for one, am willing to give him the chance to do so.

Determining whether an individual is being truthful and/or sincere in any interview setting, much less a public one, is completely subjective and dependent upon many factors/variables. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not he refrains from engaging in behavior, from this point forward, that adversely affects his own welfare, his role with the team, and the team itself. That is not something anyone can predict from a press conference. While it is true that past behavior can often times be the best predictor of future behavior, that is not always the case. The world is full of people who have made far worse mistakes than Marcell Dareus, and who have gone on to become better people - perhaps even some of us on this board...

He has to prove himself, that is for certain. I, for one, am willing to give him the chance to do so.

Yep. People forget that Bruce Smith was suspended for the 1st 4 games of 1988. This was after he'd been in the league 4 years. He went on to have a HOF career for the next 11 years with the Bills.

Not saying that Dareus will do that, just that Amateur Hour Truth Assessment of a news conference is not a good reason to cut off that possibility. How he behaves on the field and whether he in fact, cleans up his off-field act, much more important. I'm far more bothered by his big, fat, gut than I am by press conference body language that could mean many things (how about "I'm having a bit of a digestive disturbance and I hope this ends before I literally crap up the stage" ?)

The NFL is not the only organization that is antidiluvian about medication: there is no way the medications they allow are (alcohol, toradol, opiod pain killers) are better for body and mind than those they disallow. I'm a bit of an ADHD skeptic myself - think it's real, but has become an overused, "fad" diagnosis and that medication is too often used in place of behavioral modification. But a key point that people may miss is that Dareus may have been self-medicating with pot, which is and is likely to remain, illegal in the NFL. If he's diagnosed with ADHD and switches to medicating with Adderall, that is legal in the NFL under a "therapeutic use exemption". So the ADHD thing may be important if for no other reason than to allow a NFL-legal path to some medications that may help.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan