Whaley redeemed, 1 problem left for Bills to solve

update: 2 more wins and whaleys team still looks good, i did a tick mark tracker of tightwad, he threw a bunch of sideline combacks again about 8 and completed 2, his middle throws were all hooks for minimal yards and one almost cost shadey an acl. He threw 4 deep balls all game here were the results....

1.inc

2.20+ yards to oleary

3.TD hunter

4.PI= 1st n goal

oh and two crossing routes outside the hash which are "middle" routes kind of

Maybe if tightwad can ever throw a seam route or even just a slant again we will start destroying teams on offense and not have to rely so much on our D. In 4 deep attempts he had 3 great results, much better than his stupid 5 yard comebacks that go nowhere.

....original thread follows.....

I think winning a game in foxboro with our not yet fully manned defense and an offense with only number 2 and 3 receivers proves that Whaley has done his job well as GM. Brady would have made a difference yes, but seeing the patriots with a healthy D, a lot of momentum homefield and BB still lose handily meant that straight up, whaleys built a team can beat the patriots (minus their hall of fame QB.) and until they start handing out HOF QB's thats about the best he can do.

Whaleys FA defensive pick ups look good and have always looked good, often better than our draft picks ie zach brown, alexander, graham, gilislee etc. Even though drafting watkins and giving up 3 picks for a guy whos brittle has finally been realized as a mistake ( my take that draft was to trade back GET AN EXTRA PICK and draft K.Benjamin ) no one could have for seen Watkins as "injury prone". whaleys mistake simply was over paying in a deep wr draft where he could have made out like a bandit with a trade back and ODB or Benjamin.

Now the 2 problems from this year and last, have been reduced to 1. I always pondered but couldnt "prove" if Roman offense was the issue. His schemes always seemed like they stalled our offense with bursts of points here and there thanks to tyrods deep ball. Now its clear his running game was crap and "genius" or not, it never took hold and even looked worse this year. Contrast this to Ryans D actually starting to live up to expectations and you can see one has an upward trend to match its vaunted history, the other seemed to be good for a couple years in SF only to get progressively worse with time.

the other main issue and last piece of the puzzle holding us back from the playoffs is so simple. I saw it sunday lying in the middle of the field. It was just out there in the open for everyone else to see and I thought "if only Tyrod could see it too" what was it? Well I just said what it was, it was literally the middle of the field! People in Bills uniforms kept running down and across it but unless they got near the sideline tyrod seemed to not notice their existence. He still does not understand the ease and yardage associated with the seam pass. Unless a receiver has a sideline next to him and or is completely stopped and turned around, tyrod just wont throw it there. His sideline game and deep ball are great, it confounds me how the easiest pass in football, a pass that both Fitzpatrick lived on and even Rob Johnson could throw, is something tyrod doesnt even try.

When and if Tyrod can ever see and use the middle of the field the Bills will start rolling and will make it easily into the playoffs.

Edited by re enlightener

I think winning a game in foxboro with our not yet fully manned defense and an offense with only number 2 and 3 receivers proves that Whaley has done his job well as GM. Brady would have made a difference yes, but seeing the patriots with a healthy D, a lot of momentum homefield and BB still lose handily meant that straight up, whaleys built a team can beat the patriots (minus their hall of fame QB.) and until they start handing out HOF QB's thats about the best he can do.

Whaleys FA defensive pick ups look good and have always looked good, often better than our draft picks ie zach brown, alexander, graham, gilislee etc. Even though drafting watkins and giving up 3 picks for a guy whos brittle has finally been realized as a mistake ( my take that draft was to trade back GET AN EXTRA PICK and draft K.Benjamin ) no one could have for seen Watkins as "injury prone". whaleys mistake simply was over paying in a deep wr draft where he could have made out like a bandit with a trade back and ODB or Benjamin.

Now the 2 problems from this year and last, have been reduced to 1. I always pondered but couldnt "prove" if Roman offense was the issue. His schemes always seemed like they stalled our offense with bursts of points here and there thanks to tyrods deep ball. Now its clear his running game was crap and "genius" or not, it never took hold and even looked worse this year. Contrast this to Ryans D actually starting to live up to expectations and you can see one has an upward trend to match its vaunted history, the other seemed to be good for a couple years in SF only to get progressively worse with time.

the other main issue and last piece of the puzzle holding us back from the playoffs is so simple. I saw it sunday lying in the middle of the field. It was just out there in the open for everyone else to see and I thought "if only Tyrod could see it too" what was it? Well I just said what it was, it was literally the middle of the field! People in Bills uniforms kept running down and across it but unless they got near the sideline tyrod seemed to not notice their existence. He still does not understand the ease and yardage associated with the seam pass. Unless a receiver has a sideline next to him and or is completely stopped and turned around, tyrod just wont throw it there. His sideline game and deep ball are great, it confounds me how the easiest pass in football, a pass that both Fitzpatrick lived on and even Rob Johnson could throw, is something tyrod doesnt even try.

When and if Tyrod can ever see and use the middle of the field the Bills will start rolling and will make it easily into the playoffs.

Right...because Benjamin just didn't miss all of last year, lol

He threw several passes over the middle, at least two were batted down.

We win one game on the road against the Patriots - playing the third string quarterback and we have vanquished ten horrible years of drafting, poor coaching, and poor scouting? Sorry, I'm still not sold, talk to me in December?

We win one game on the road against the Patriots - playing the third string quarterback and we have vanquished ten horrible years of drafting, poor coaching, and poor scouting? Sorry, I'm still not sold, talk to me in December?

When the Bills lose, we hear it's about the whole season and not one game. When they win (and it was an outstanding win) sometimes I think people want a ticker tape parade and toasting of everyone affiliated with the team. Whatever happened to measured happiness?

Waiting and seeing is a lost art.

Edited by BillsVet

When the Bills lose, we hear it's about the whole season and not one game. When they win (and it was an outstanding win) sometimes I think people want a ticker tape parade and toasting of everyone affiliated with the team. Whatever happened to measured happiness?

What's the matter, grumpy over the W big fella? :nana:

We would not have gotten OBJ in a trade back for one. We would have had to stay put to get him and even then it was said they liked Ebron in that spot more and probably would have gone Ebron.

And again, we didn't trade three picks to move up to get Sammy...we gave up 1 additional first and a 4th. We were using that years first on somebody, it wasn't an expense associated with moving up.

What does 10 years and Whaley have to do with one another? Not saying he is justified and saying Whaley redeemed himself, but to mention 10 years in a thread about Whaley who had nothing to do with like 7 of those 10 years is pretty silly.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Odell was there for us at 9 - and if (however unlikely) someone grabbed him earlier, Evans prob falls to us. Was a "no-lose" year at WR, every analyst knew it. Not at all saying we lost, but there were a lot of reasons to stay put and see what fell to us at 9.

Now I see a big bodied WR ( like Evans, Benjamin, Matthews) as a huge need going into next year which means another 2nd or 3rd pick.

We would not have gotten OBJ in a trade back for one. We would have had to stay put to get him and even then it was said they liked Ebron in that spot more and probably would have gone Ebron.

And again, we didn't trade three picks to move up to get Sammy...we gave up 1 additional first and a 4th. We were using that years first on somebody, it wasn't an expense associated with moving up.

no alpha not true, when we spent 1 pick on a maybin or mike williams it was considered a huge blunder. I never said we wasted 3 picks moving up, we wasted 3 picks period since the "one" pick could have been benjamin or odb. Also, we had a potential to trade back to specifically NY's pick, so we could have gotten ODB. alas, we were rumored to take ebron standing pat and that while sucking, might have been better than 3 picks for sammy and the big contract we paid for Clay, time will tell.

He threw several passes over the middle, at least two were batted down.

several? he threw a dump off and a few short ones near the middle, outside the hash marks to a crossing clay. None were thrown between the hashes and definitely none were seam type or over 10 yards. He threw about 2 last year total and one became the highlight play where he hit clay for a gw td. It was wide open as any pass he ever threw. You have to wonder why it was so open.

Not sure how a win vs Jacoby Brisket proves anything about Whaley. They won a game that they should have.

The trade up for Watkins is a fireable offense however.

For your GM to trade up for the highest rated WR they had in a decade is not a fireable offense. That is silly. Sometimes it doesn't work. He makes a lot moves, they don't all pan out.

For your GM to trade up for the highest rated WR they had in a decade is not a fireable offense. That is silly. Sometimes it doesn't work. He makes a lot moves, they don't all pan out.

..and a LOT of them do!

Since 2011 the year after Buddy Nix got here the drafting and talent acquisition has been much better than it was in the previous eras. Defensively they drafted up Gilmore, Darby, A.Williams, Dareus, Preston Brown, and Kiko (Who looked like a stud before injuries and now looks to be rebounding in Miami.) Offensively the drafting has been a bit up and down but they have managed to find talent.

They have made much better free agency acquisitions and trades since then too (Including reclamation projects like Hughes, InCog, and Brown). It's not without misses and misfires but I can honestly say that the Bills are doing a much better job than they have in the past. However it still might not lead to the playoffs just yet.

I wouldn't call what you or the NNN's have done is ever "waiting and seeing". Consistent fire this guy, fire that guy, we will be 2-14 predictions, tank, etc

On the other hand, there is optimism in beating a divisional opponent in their house. Our players played very well, and if they keep it up, we will be competitive.

I don't think anyone has made quite the same claims as above though. (ex we will be 14-2, superbowl or even playoffs). Admittedly, most agree the wildcards are going to be very difficult to secure this year. This thread is as close to it gets in praising Whaley.

just bumping this thread after another win. Tyrod throwing for just 124 yards and having about 4 3-n-outs in a row, arent whaleys fault, but washington and lorax looked pretty good. Even clay and mccoy played hard which I rarely say. We are a dropped int away from being 4-1, thanks darby/robbey.

If we could get an above average qb like how Brady had 124 yards in about 5 min of the 1st quarter and ended w 400+ or even a journeyman that can get 400 yards a game like Hoyer did, we would easily break the drought. Or if we could just figure out some decent 3rd down plays besides a come back to goodwin which we do every third down, including the game winner, which barely made it in there.

just bumping this thread after another win. Tyrod throwing for just 124 yards and having about 4 3-n-outs in a row, arent whaleys fault, but washington and lorax looked pretty good. Even clay and mccoy played hard which I rarely say. We are a dropped int away from being 4-1, thanks darby/robbey.

If we could get an above average qb like how Brady had 124 yards in about 5 min of the 1st quarter and ended w 400+ or even a journeyman that can get 400 yards a game like Hoyer did, we would easily break the drought. Or if we could just figure out some decent 3rd down plays besides a come back to goodwin which we do every third down, including the game winner, which barely made it in there.

as someone else pointed out, TT rarely turns the ball over, which was the difference in this game.

Without a Brady, it may be more valuable to have a guy who won't lose games (TT) vs one who does (Fitz e.g.).