Lorenzo Alexander proving the Bills were right...

Big Turk

I always agreed with your basic premise - Rex defenses don't require elite front 7 talent.

But they did not reach on Shaq. They let the board come to them and selected the best player on the board and a difference maker. He will prove this. It might not happen this year but it will happen. Now had they ended up with Ragland at #19 (and they say they were willing to take him there) that would have been a major reach.

Agreed, I saw plenty of mocks with Shaq going before us, or to us. And I saw quite a few with Reggie going first round too, but not as high as #19 I don't think. I think all of the NFL.com analysts had him going to Green Bay at 27.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lorax, aside from his three sacks, made a bunch of other terrific plays. The ST tackle was an obvious one. He blew up a run to the outside that lost five yards. He tipped a ball at the line that was almost intercepted. He would have had his fourth sack but Keenum just threw the ball away which resulted in the second Robey INT. On the pick six he was ready to clobber Keenum running after Robey but Keenum got scared and just fell on the ground by himself at about the five so Lorax went to block another guy but Robey had already got to the endzone. He was terrific all day.

LOL! So what, pray tell, should teams use their 1st and 2nd round picks on?

Players at positions where they can't scheme production out of cheaper veteran players.

The Jets roster under Rex suffered because of decisions to draft DL after DL after DL early when they didn't need that kind of pedigree to do the job.......their main issue was offensive production...........and in the process they even ran out of CB's......the only position on D that they NEEDED playmakers.

Rex simply can't help himself when it comes to front 7 players early in the draft.

I always agreed with your basic premise - Rex defenses don't require elite front 7 talent.

But they did not reach on Shaq. They let the board come to them and selected the best player on the board and a difference maker. He will prove this. It might not happen this year but it will happen. Now had they ended up with Ragland at #19 (and they say they were willing to take him there) that would have been a major reach.

I hope Shaq plays great but is he going to drop into coverage and make plays like Hughes and Lorax can?

I think Lorax is a good fit for that blindside attack position.

Teams tend to run right naturally and LT's are typically built to shut down guys like Shaq........not run and hit LB's like Lorax.

When they took Shaq I thought they were hoping to use him as an edge setter outside the RT or over the TE..........but Hughes is actually playing that side and I like Shaq even LESS lined up across from a LT.

Players at positions where they can't scheme production out of cheaper veteran players.

The Jets roster under Rex suffered because of decisions to draft DL after DL after DL early when they didn't need that kind of pedigree to do the job.......their main issue was offensive production...........and in the process they even ran out of CB's......the only position on D that they NEEDED playmakers.

Rex simply can't help himself when it comes to front 7 players early in the draft.

You can scheme production out of any position, save for arguably QB. So perhaps they should trade their 1st and 2nd rounders for 3rd and later rounders, eh?

Translation:

Shaq was a day one starter.

But he wasn't ready day one so f*ck 'em. :thumbsup:

When it comes to stocking the front 7......Whaley and the Pegula's need to learn to restrain Rex.......given the opportunity he will draft a DL or LB first every year even though he can get the same results from other teams castaway free agent vets.

I had to chuckle. Of course Rex will Rex.

But as you make clear, again, and i agreed back then. Rex makes do at some positions.

Not to take away anything whatsoever from Alexander or Z Brown.

These LBs are sucking down high octane only right now!

and geez for those that forget, Bills have been dearth of a full LB crew for Eons.

Gosh it is a true pleasure to observe.

Go Bills !

It seems to be working... So let Rex be Rex. Take your bull **** elsewhere.

too harsh brother Jerky

Lorax, aside from his three sacks, made a bunch of other terrific plays. The ST tackle was an obvious one. He blew up a run to the outside that lost five yards. He tipped a ball at the line that was almost intercepted. He would have had his fourth sack but Keenum just threw the ball away which resulted in the second Robey INT. On the pick six he was ready to clobber Keenum running after Robey but Keenum got scared and just fell on the ground by himself at about the five so Lorax went to block another guy but Robey had already got to the endzone. He was terrific all day.

He is everywhere you want him to be.

How does this happen, I mean really ?

Tommy Brady diet?

How does Kyle Williams keep making plays when so many were ready to cut him?

/s

Damn i am delighted to cheer for the "old Men".

I don't know if that's true. They only had 3 draft picks in 2009 and 4 in 2010. Lots of wheeling and dealing going on there, but 2009 was noteworthy because of the Sanchez trade, and they also traded a few picks to go up for Shonn Greene in the third. I think the Jets at the time felt like their roster was ready for a serious run (and it turned out to be true). 2011 they started a run on DL in the first, but Mo was necessary because they lost Shaun Ellis. Coples was probably the wrong choice for them in 2012, but Richardson was a great choice in a year where they got the extra pick for Revis and drafted a guy to theoretically replace him. After that they went safety and tight end so I think that makes three DL/LB in six years. They did take a WR once - Stephen Hill, terrible choice - but drafting more skill position players may not have helped because of their main issue:

The main issue for them was QB. Sanchez wasn't the same after the 2010 season. No confidence, no leadership, poor performance, etc. They failed to address that issue and it all fell apart.

On the issue of whether Shaq was a reach or not..........since there are at least 100 projected first rounders in every draft........how would one accurately judge that beside their own opinion?

Trade value?

Would any team trade a prospective 20th overall pick in next years draft now for Shaq?

I think Shaq or Ragland would have had to play ABSOLUTELY lights out to this point in the season have been worth where they were drafted to ANYONE.........while players at more valued positions like a top 10 quality pass rushing DE, LT, WR, CB and QB(obviously).......these guys would still have most, if not all of their original value at this point in the season even if they had been on IR to start the season and were coming back in week 7.

On the issue of whether Shaq was a reach or not..........since there are at least 100 projected first rounders in every draft........how would one accurately judge that beside their own opinion?

Trade value?

Would any team trade a prospective 20th overall pick in next years draft now for Shaq?

I think Shaq or Ragland would have had to play ABSOLUTELY lights out to this point in the season have been worth where they were drafted to ANYONE.........while players at more valued positions like a top 10 quality pass rushing DE, LT, WR, CB and QB(obviously).......these guys would still have most, if not all of their original value at this point in the season even if they had been on IR to start the season and were coming back in week 7.

From where are you getting "there are at least 100 projected 1st rounders in every draft"? There aren't. There are maybe 20-25 consensus 1st rounders (of which Shaq was one) and then a bunch of possible 1st rounders.

And would anyone trade the 20th overall pick next year for Shaq...when he's coming off surgery? Duh, obviously no.

Edited by Doc

From where are you getting "there are at least 100 projected 1st rounders in every draft"? There aren't. There are maybe 20-25 consensus 1st rounders (of which Shaq was one) and then a bunch of possible 1st rounders.

And would anyone trade the 20th overall pick next year for Shaq...when he's coming off surgery? Duh, obviously no.

Where's this draft consensus you speak of? :doh::lol:

It's hard to win in the NFL and it's hard to have football discussions on TSW. :lol:

I think it is kinda proving Badol right, that fairly average LBs can excel in Rex's defense. Further evidenced by Zach and Preston Brown. But that is also a tribute to Rex in some degree.

Nicely hedged compliment.

Indeed, Rex's system does deserve credit and can get plays out of players, like Aaron Maybin, who aren't going to make other teams' rosters.

Going into the season LB was supposed to be the team's biggest weakness. At this point no group has played better...

We still need to play with the big boys. This LB corps will know how much they have progressed, when they meet the Patriots in a couple of weeks. Trying to stop Gronk and Bennett is going to be a challenge. Rex Ryan better dial up some real good pressure on Brady.

Trade value?

Of course it is my own opinion but I had Shaq as a top 10 player in the draft and I believe he is a "valued" position because I think he can be a quality pass rusher. You clearly were not a huge fan of him coming out BADOL... that is fine. I disagree. I think the kid can be a star, I don't think it was a reach in any way shape or form. Plenty of record of me being high on him before we picked him too so I am not organisation defending.

Ryan spent several minutes Monday praising linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, who leads the NFL with seven sacks. Then he added this:

“Whether you rush him from an inside spot, an outside spot, wherever, he continues to do a great job. He drops (into coverage). I don’t recall him ever b----ing about dropping. He’s just doing a great job.”