that safety????

re enlightener

First clearly Graham rolled into the endzone then out of bounds, so why wasnt it a touchback and if not why didnt rex challenge it with a flag rather than just "talking" to the refs?

Second, why not have tyrod kneel a couple times at the 1 and force the cards to burn time outs rather than a deep hand off to a non power back against a team selling out to stop the run?

The whole possession took exactly 5 seconds off the clock, gave the cards the ball at the 20 on the bad kick and 2 points to boot! A total waste of a great interception.

I went from celebrating a victory to having to get the scotch! (which I also do in a victory) This is the kind of stupidity that would have lost a closer game. We were lucky carsons good for 3 picks once he throws his first.

Edited by re enlightener

No chance to kneel at the 1. He'd have been kneeling in the end zone for a safety.

I couldn't believe they didn't do a QB sneak on the first play. I can't really be too angry at the handoff, but I'm more angry at the fact that the O-line did a pretty lousy job with their backs against the wall.

No chance to kneel at the 1. He'd have been kneeling in the end zone for a safety.

I couldn't believe they didn't do a QB sneak on the first play. I can't really be too angry at the handoff, but I'm more angry at the fact that the O-line did a pretty lousy job with their backs against the wall.

Roman would have brought EJ in to sneak it. See, we're already missing him.

Right. You lose yardage on a kneel down. That would have been the same as a safety from where the ball was spotted. I think the officials determined that CG momentum stopped just before the G line, then he rolled backward. Not one continuous motion. A judgement call I guess. The play to run was a QB sneak on a quick snap though. Maybe even a quick rollout pass. Couldn't drop back in the end zone to pass, too risky .

I've seen guys intercept balls at the 5, momentum carry them into endzone and kneel for the touchback. Did the momentum rule change??? How the hell did he have a chance?

Did they do it with their ass down on the turf? Had CG caught the ball and then taken two steps into the EZ, its probably a touchback but he went to the ground and his ass was down short of the endzone.

All turnovers automatically reviewed.

I don't think a safety is considered a turnover, but it is a scoring play, so I assume it is still automatically reviewed.

The announcers said the ball needed to completely be out of the end zone to avoid the safety (basically the opposite of what is needed to score a touchdown. We should have run a QB sneak first to try to gain a yard or 2.

Edited by feckellie

Long story short, shoulda been a QB sneak. If not 3 QB sneaks in a row.

It burns me up that the only team to seemingly master the art of the QB Sneak is the NE Pats. This is a simple and basic play and should be one of the foundation pieces of any offense.

Agreed, Roman would have brought in EJ...

Long story short, shoulda been a QB sneak. If not 3 QB sneaks in a row.

It burns me up that the only team to seemingly master the art of the QB Sneak is the NE Pats. This is a simple and basic play and should be one of the foundation pieces of any offense.

What slays me is when the Bills QB is going to execute a sneak and he stands over the center for 20 seconds, letting the entire defense get ready for the play.

When Brady sneaks, he walks up the line like he's about to set up the defense then bends to take the snap on one. That half a second jump the offense gets is always enough to get them the yard.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

If your momentum carries you into the EZ and OOB shouldn't it be a touchback even if your butt hit?

If that happened at midfield he could have gotten up and run because nobody touched him. Why doesn't his momentum count? If he caught it at the 43 and rolled out at the 42 the spot would have been the 42, no?

My biggest pet peeve. Whether it's at our 1 or their 1. What the f#$#$ are they doing going back 3 yards to hand off the ball to a RB who then has to run 3 yards forward just to get back to where they started? It makes absolutely no sense. FB dive or QB sneak are the only play calls in that situation. Put in EJ if you have to and plow ahead for 1 yard and get some breathing room!!

First clearly Graham rolled into the endzone then out of bounds, so why wasnt it a touchback and if not why didnt rex challenge it with a flag rather than just "talking" to the refs?

Because the rule says if you gain possession of the ball outside the end zone and your momentum takes you into the end zone, if you don't run it out you get the ball where you gained possession.

SECTION 5 SAFETY

ARTICLE 1. SAFETY. It is a Safety:

(a) if the offense commits a foul in its own endzone or;

(b) when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the endzone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

(1) If a forward pass frombehind the line of scrimmage is incomplete in the end zone.

(2) If a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass or catches or recovers a fumble, backward pass, scrimmage kick, free kick, or fair catch kick, and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team's possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession.

(a) If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a foul in the end zone, it is a safety.

(b) If a player who intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball throws a completed illegal forward pass from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If his opponent intercepts the illegal pass thrown from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If he scores it is a touchdown.

© If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or otherwise recovers the ball commits a foul in the field of play, and the ball becomes dead in the end zone, the basic spot is the spot of the change of possession.

(d) If the spot where possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.

Notes:

(1) A ball in the end zone which is carried toward the field of play is still in the end zone until the entire ball is in the field of play (3-12-4).

(2) The impetus is always attributed to the offense, unless the defense creates a new force that sends the ball behinds its own goal line by muffing a ball which is at rest or nearly t rest, or by batting or kicking any loose ball (3-17).

Because the rule says if you gain possession of the ball outside the end zone and your momentum takes you into the end zone, if you don't run it out you get the ball where you gained possession.

SECTION 5 SAFETY

ARTICLE 1. SAFETY. It is a Safety:

(a) if the offense commits a foul in its own endzone or;

(b) when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the endzone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

Exceptions:

It is not a Safety:

(1) If a forward pass frombehind the line of scrimmage is incomplete in the end zone.

(2) If a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass or catches or recovers a fumble, backward pass, scrimmage kick, free kick, or fair catch kick, and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team's possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the player's foot or other body part touched the ground to establish possession.

(a) If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a foul in the end zone, it is a safety.

(b) If a player who intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball throws a completed illegal forward pass from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If his opponent intercepts the illegal pass thrown from the end zone, the ball remains alive. If he scores it is a touchdown.

© If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or otherwise recovers the ball commits a foul in the field of play, and the ball becomes dead in the end zone, the basic spot is the spot of the change of possession.

(d) If the spot where possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.

Notes:

(1) A ball in the end zone which is carried toward the field of play is still in the end zone until the entire ball is in the field of play (3-12-4).

(2) The impetus is always attributed to the offense, unless the defense creates a new force that sends the ball behinds its own goal line by muffing a ball which is at rest or nearly t rest, or by batting or kicking any loose ball (3-17).

Thanks.