MAJBobby Good, Bad, Ugly against AZ

MAJBobby

Ok gonna get back to reviewing games. Disclaimer this is from my eye so I know not everyone will agree with what I saw, I have watched the game a couple times so this is what I get out of it. I always try to break it down by position groups, and while talking position groups I will highlight a couple players I am sure that stood out to me. So without further delay here it is, hope you all enjoy the breakdown.

Offense

OL

Going to start here, because this is where I think Lynn's approach helped the most. This unit had a great game. The difference I saw there was a lot more firing off the ball and a lot less catching than in the previous weeks. I point that to the simplified blocking concepts. Yes, Richie was still pulling (as he should he is one of the best at it), but that is not what I am referring too. Roman runs a multiple concept blocking scheme, and he loves having his OL "out think" a scheme. In his concepts the 1st couple weeks the OL was responsible for a lot of "passing off" between blockers, more of a Zone scheme than a power scheme. Lynn simplified all that and went with strict power, beat the man in front of you, and the OL responded with a great game. This was Millers best game as a Pro as well, and I think that has to be because is was able to just play instead of think and play. The same thing went in pass pro, there was little to know breakdowns because of communication issues during passing off like there was with Roman. Obviously, this was the best game of the year for the OL, and thinking back to last year as well I cant think of many better from them last year as well.

Grade: A

WR/TE

One of the harder groups to talk about without looking at an All 22, but I will talk about a couple things I was able to notice from the TV Broadcast. I think Powell looks like he can be a solid No 3 WR this year, when all are healthy I would rather have him on the field than Salas, but that said I think his ceiling will be a Solid WR2 if he continues. I liked him since offseason. He has a wiggle that will create separation and has shown above AVG hands. There are some issues with his routes right now, but that will come. One play I can think of specifically was the Drive that ended in a FG, when he was running the slant and Woods was running a flag (great route Combo BTW). He rounded off his slant and instead of pushing that route to the goal-line he bent it inside too much running that slant to shallow, add that to the Jump (for no reason) there was no way he was getting in the endzone. That was not the only route I seen him round off either. Also I have to talk about Woods, I know he gets beat on a lot, however Shady does not rip off those Big Runs without Woods Blocking downfield. One of the Best Blocking WRs I have seen since Ward. As a group there was some drops from this unit, and Clay was also invisible again but I will talk about that a little later.

Grade: B-

RBs

This was another change with the new OC. Felton was playing a ton, and performed. He was very important in the success of the run game. Also for those that say Shady cannot excel in a power blocking scheme, well he can, his issue is he has to trust what he sees, and turn it up. He did bounce a couple times, but when he stays with the scheme and alley and hits that hole hard he can be gone. My issue with Shady though this week was the fumble (yes it didn't hurt us) but man the entire game he was asking for that, he really carries the ball loose and away from his body. Finally I think it is very telling that J. Williams and Gillislee had touches, who didn't Bush. I think it is time to move on from Bush and pick up another WR, now that Williams is healthy work with the Roster management and get another WR, specially when you have Watkins and Salas missing time. Nitpick time was the safety, I am not sure of that specific playcall, you are at the 1, sneak it a bit need more room, or at least have your power back on the field with Williams.

Grade B+ (downgraded because of how Shady had the ball out there for the taking all game).

QB

For those that don't like to read critique of Taylor skip this paragraph and move on. But I will end with some goods I saw from him. First going back to what I said in the WR/TE grouping about Clay being invisible. I have to wait until I see the All 22, but what I do know right now is Taylor had 5 (I was generous with two because they were crossing routes at the numbers that he threw right out of the break so I gave him credit here because they were middle breaking routes), NFL has him logged at 3 throws over the middle. Out of those 5 throws he attempted 0 over 10 yards. Why is that important because it is that area of the field that Clay works, just like any TE.) This is something not only I but the Bills have said he needs to improve on, which so far this year he has not. When you don't use this area of the field and only throw the alleys downfield when you don't hit those alleys you end up with a 3.8 YPA number (not sustainable in todays NFL). Ghost Pressure continues to effect him, there was 6 times I counted that Taylor reacted to pressure that was not there, and either rushed a throw, did not step into the pocket or just flushed. Again he still need to dramatically improve his pocket presence. Last thing on the bads is his mechanics, I just don't understand where this flat foot throws in the pocket have come from, they have sparked up ALOT this year compared to last, this mechanical breakdown makes him erratic in any NFL type throw, deep out specifically because he wont throw that 15 yard Dig.

But it wasn't all bad with Tyrod, yes his running is a weapon and he did look quicker in this game than he has the other two. However I would like to use that mobility to make a throw and less about his entire game. I would rather not have him 7-10 times on designed runs. But yes it is an asset. I Did not see him change a play at the line (like Lynn said he would), but that doesn't mean he wasn't reading the defense pre-snap better. I think he did improve there then in the last 2 weeks (still has a ways to go), but one play that sticks out to me is the same one I mentioned about with Powell. In the Redzone on third down you know that Flag, Slant route concept the 1st read is always the Flag (it was open by the way), but that wasn't a miss by Taylor. What happened at the line he knew what the protection scheme was, identified that he was going to have a free runner and adjusted his read so Powell (Slant) became the hot. It was open and he threw it accounting for the free rusher, that was exactly what you want your QB to do. Another play that I loved what I saw was late in the 4th QTR, the completion on the wheel route to O'Leary. What happened there, was he knew what the route was at the line of Scrimmage he knew it was going to be open, based off what he saw, so in his drop he didn't look at O'Leary instead eyes downfield at the safety, only moved those eyes late to find O'Leary and throw a perfect ball in stride to him. Those are what I want to seem more of from him, he shows he can do it at times, I want to see it consistent.

Grade: B-

Defense

DL

I think he have a very talented DL, and Kyle Williams just doesn't show any sign of him slowing down. I really can wait to see what this rotation does with Dareus and Shaq in it, but that is still weeks away. They were disruptive from jump, getting pressure on Carson even when they only rushed 3 and 4. Hughes is just unblockable on his twists and such. Seeing I am on Hughes, the dumb penalties I hate (taking Carsons Head off when he was already on the ground), but I can live with the trying to time snap penalties like his offside. I am not going to hate on him for that because that is one of his best assets that first step and like with Bruce in the 90s sometimes you are gonna guess wrong. However this group is night and day better than it was last season, I know it is early in this season but through 3 games they have played very well (except when Rex went into full blown rush 3 only mode like later in the game and seems like most of the Jets game). Very Happy with this group so far this year.

LB

A group that was the biggest question mark coming into the season, Preston was Bad last year, Ragland Hurt, LBers signed and cut etc. But through three games they have played very well. The Brown Brothers have not faltered in both their run fits or their pass responsibilities. I knew coming into season Zach was going to help that pass coverage side that is what he has been very good at, but man he has turned into a complete 3 Down LBers, meaning Spikes never needs to be on the field even in obvious run downs, and that is very good as it means you don't have to change personnel so much and can limit the communication mistakes. He logged 12 tackles and 10 solo. Preston has taken control of this defense and found his game again, the same game that During the year Kiko was it was realized Kiko was expendable. I know many, including myself, don't like the Rob Ryan hire, however he works with the LBers and cant deny that they are playing lights out right now.

DB:

Probably the group that needed a big game after the Jets game and they more than delivered and that being down Darby as well. This group held a very good vertical passing game that features Big WRs to 0 TDs and also gave the Bills 4 Picks. Casron was just over 50% completions and only had 5.74 YPA. There were a couple of drops by their WRs, however it seemed every throw was contested. This was a very good game and was needed because they were beaten down after the Jets game. Gilmore showed again that he really is the best CB on this team (does he deserve big money that is a different conversation for a different day). Also Corey Graham who I have been critical of came away with a big game as well.

However there were some bad plays, there were at least 3 dropped interceptions and the one that stands out the most to me was Robey's as that likely would have been a pick 6 and he knew it as well, which likely can to the reason for the pick going right through is hands.

STs

OOO Carp can we stop missing the XP, it obviously did not come back to hurt us, but man stop, and why is your alignment all the way on the hash during XP, it seems that is one of your issues.

And this was Schmidts worse game I have seen him as a Bills punting. I am not sure if there was a lot of wind or something but he didn't have a good game either.

Finally and last but not least Returns, it is Brandon Tate's job. I expect to see no one back there again unless he gets hurt, meaning say bye bye Reggie this was the reason you were signed and you lost that job.

Ok that is my thoughts on this game. Feel free to comment. I am always here for a discussion and to learn more about football.

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great breakdown.

Wondering what folks think about Powell being the #2 guy next year after we lose Woods to FA?

He's still young and developing. Might have a diamond in the rough there! Ok, a CZ in the rough, but I'll take it at #2.

I think he could be, needs to work on his routes more, but expected that.

I want to turn over a new leaf today and look at your posts more objectively

- I think the big key here is....stop thinking and start being football players on the O side of the ball.

- Agreed on Woods in the blocking game....the unfortunate thing is if we want to take that next step we need a WR that can be BOTH a threat and a blocker....I still think this team needs to keep looking for that great TE that can do this and run 2 TE formations.

- Regarding Felton....someone must have checked the fan suggestion box on Felton where we have been sending in how much Felton was getting paid as opposed to how much he was getting utilized....the only nit pik I have is I would like to see him get the ball more in short yardage situations as the up back.......and I think my boy Johnathan WIlliams got ONE carry the whole game.....please use him more Lynn

- Im just gonna skip QB for now....we dont agree....that is fine we dont have to agree

- Marcel is back the week after next....him and Kyle Williams are going to be a force on this DL....with Marcel demanding most of the attention other guys should flourish.

- Gotta give credit to Rob Ryan and his work with the LB's......he might be a lousy DC....but he appears to be a good positional coach

- Big rebound game for our DB's....I was worried about Darby being out but they overcame that nicely....the Cards have one of the better sets of pass catchers in the entire NFL

- Aside from Carp's missed field goal....this unit really did dominate the game yesterday

I want to turn over a new leaf today and look at your posts more objectively

- I think the big key here is....stop thinking and start being football players on the O side of the ball.

- Agreed on Woods in the blocking game....the unfortunate thing is if we want to take that next step we need a WR that can be BOTH a threat and a blocker....I still think this team needs to keep looking for that great TE that can do this and run 2 TE formations.

- Regarding Felton....someone must have checked the fan suggestion box on Felton where we have been sending in how much Felton was getting paid as opposed to how much he was getting utilized....the only nit pik I have is I would like to see him get the ball more in short yardage situations as the up back.......and I think my boy Johnathan WIlliams got ONE carry the whole game.....please use him more Lynn

- Im just gonna skip QB for now....we dont agree....that is fine we dont have to agree

- Marcel is back the week after next....him and Kyle Williams are going to be a force on this DL....with Marcel demanding most of the attention other guys should flourish.

- Gotta give credit to Rob Ryan and his work with the LB's......he might be a lousy DC....but he appears to be a good positional coach

- Big rebound game for our DB's....I was worried about Darby being out but they overcame that nicely....the Cards have one of the better sets of pass catchers in the entire NFL

- Aside from Carp's missed field goal....this unit really did dominate the game yesterday

Well Williams did get 3 carries according to stat book. Only really saw on though, must have missed the other two will have to go back and look I would love him getting more carries though I am very high on him.

Also Woods did have 6 catches out of 8 targets. I do have questions about his hands though, because one of those 6 catches wasn't really a catch as well

Edited by MAJBobby

I agree. They need to move on from Bush. Tate is better on ST and Reggie isn't really contributing in the pass game so move on.

I'm with you on this one. I don't see any value to having Bush on the team anymore. Bring in another WR with his roster spot. It's a matter of time before Glass is out for a stretch and Sammy is likely going to be somewhat of a question mark many weeks. That leaves, what, 3 healthy guys (excluding Tate as just the returner)? I'm not keen on going into a game with just that unless maybe Taylor remembers Charles Clay is on the team.

I'd give Tyrod a C+. His weaknesses continue to shackle this offense. Yes, he did great things with his legs. But the fact that there were so many designed QB runs tells me the same thing about Lynn that I thought about Roman - he knows Tyrod can't pass and doesn't trust him to do anything more than a few yards in the air other than on sidelines.

Making Tyrod a featured back will do two things: end his career very quickly and make the Bills' offense painfully (literally and figuratively) predictable.

Other than that, this is the best all around team performance that I can remember in a while. Both lines did well and the defense, as a whole, was fierce.