Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach

birdo67

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a catch 22. If O succeeds, Rex doesn't get fired. If O flounders, zero chance Lynn becomes coach. He's not our next coach behind a possible interim designation

If the O looks good and the D blows then Rex can surely be fired along with his brother who has written this sh*tty defensive story before

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

So maybe Rex is executing the Ted Nolan plan?

I can buy it. This off season and even now, Rex has been doing all the right things to get fired. What does he care? He gets to pocket $25 million either way.

That said, if the OP knows enough that this was said, he should also probably know why it was said.

Edited by Saint Doug

I can buy it. This off season and even now, Rex has been doing all the right things to get fired. What does he care? He gets to pocket $25 million either way.

Even if this is true, I'd rather Rex be trying to do a good job and then leave on a good note with a successor in place. I mean, if he took us to the playoffs and then decided to retire we would be a little miffed that he would abandon us on the heels of our first successful season in years, but I'd still take that over a coach trying to get himself fired.

I believe it as much as some of the other theories around here

There was just something in Rex' demeanor during this past game that made me uncomfortable

I honestly dont know what it means....but i saw it

I agree that it has seemed weird. Almost resigned. I don't like him as a coach but i do like him as a person. I hope everything is ok.

Even if this is true, I'd rather Rex be trying to do a good job and then leave on a good note with a successor in place. I mean, if he took us to the playoffs and then decided to retire we would be a little miffed that he would abandon us on the heels of our first successful season in years, but I'd still take that over a coach trying to get himself fired.

The hiring of Rob says it all to me. I mean, come on. Hiring your twin brother Rob, who had left a trail of destroyed defenses? In what universe is this a good idea?

The only reason I think he would care is because he's basically signing a DNR to his and his brothers coaching career at any level. It could be that both of them are tired and want out but don't want to quit but I can't think of a single person that would sink themself and their brother's future to try and promote someone in the long run, not to mention the team.

But hey, whatever helps the team I'm all for. I'll buy into this.

Edited by The Wiz

The hiring of Rob says it all to me. I mean, come on. Hiring your twin brother Rob, who had left a trail of destroyed defenses? In what universe is this a good idea?

I see that as a bit of a clue, too - the twins went "all in" and got "fully pregnant" for one last hurrah. You either go out a success or don't last very long, and you know that this will be the season where it goes one way or the other.

To be clear, I don't think Rex is trying to get fired. I think he made up his mind that he would leave the Bills either way, and he's doing as much as he can on his terms now. Bring in Rob, bring in Ed Reed, get the band back together and enjoy it while he can.

Edited by birdo67

I don't buy it.

Under what scenario does Rex get the boot AND Lynn gets promoted? Our offense improves significantly but we lose games 40-38 all year?

That would mean the defense craters, but the Ryan brothers destroy their father's legacy permanently. And this is something Rex has premeditated? Or, Rex just decides he's had enough after one year after bringing his brother here? Nah.

This guy may be great, but the whole thing, if true, is Rex being Rex. I'm pretty sure he doesn't get to decide who his successor is. I mean, really?

I think you're interpreting the story incorrectly.

Rex is not presenting what he said to Lynn as fact, or that he has some secret insight to the future...

He is presenting an opinion...

No one knows what is really going on with the team better than Rex, and I'm sure he was predicting trouble before the season ever started. Don't forget that behind the scenes Rex (real Rex) has nothing to do with the Rex we see and hear.

I interpret the story to be Rex having come to terms with his fate, realizing this is going to be a bad season and he is unlikely to survive it, combined with a short history of events, comments, discussions, etc., that suggested to him that Lynn was very highly regarded by the Pegulas, such that he would be the likely choice as at least an interim coach.

And in fact, Rex may well have a say in that too. I can totally see an amicable split even if Rex is fired whereby he is asked for his input regarding who a good interim coach would be.

Anyone at that level would likely be professional enough to suggest someone and not want to hold back that person's career while simultaneously leaving the organization themselves.

This is simply Rex saying "Who are we kidding here? We are going to be bad this year and I'm not going to survive. And Lynn, you are as well liked as anyone in the organization to replace me when I get axed. So think wisely before you leave the organization."

Edited by Fadingpain

I dunno that I buy into any HC setting up someone else to take their place. If anything I sorta think that Roman was fired because Rex thought Roman was tanking the offense to take Rex's place.

So, what happens if the offense falls on it's face under Lynn? If this story were true it would seem to me that Ryan wouldn't have made a move to replace Roman and just let things go on as they were.

The way I see things are that with no run game Ryan's defense was getting hung out to dry by being on the field far too long. The NY Jets with nearly 40 min and the Bills with only 20 min in ToP was killing Ryan's defense.

I think you're interpreting the story incorrectly.

Rex is not presenting what he said to Lynn as fact, or that he has some secret insight to the future...

He is presenting an opinion...

No one knows what is really going on with the team better than Rex, and I'm sure he was predicting trouble before the season ever started. Don't forget that behind the scenes Rex (real Rex) has nothing to do with the Rex we see and hear.

I interpret the story to be Rex having come to terms with his fate, realizing this is going to be a bad season and he is unlikely to survive it, combined with a short history of events, comments, discussions, etc., that suggested to him that Lynn was very highly regarded by the Pegulas, such that he would be the likely choice as at least an interim coach.

And in fact, Rex may well have a say in that too. I can totally see an amicable split even if Rex is fired whereby he is asked for his input regarding who a good interim coach would be.

Anyone at that level would likely be professional enough to suggest someone and not want to hold back that person's career while simultaneously leaving the organization themselves.

This is simply Rex saying "Who are we kidding here? We are going to be bad this year and I'm not going to survive. And Lynn, you are as well liked as anyone in the organization to replace me when I get axed. So think wisely before you leave the organization."

This post describes my interpretation as well. This board is great and thorough, and you guys have already speculated on similar issues. I only shared this because of two bits of info that were new to me -

1) Rex saying Year 2 would be his last year. Perhaps he left out "probably," but he sees the writing on the wall. And with that contract and that money, he knows he can move on to anything or nothing if he wants.

2) Roman not having a future within the Bills' coaching structure.