Anthony Lynn, new OC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the second line of Rex's quote. "He's been with me now for seven years. So he's a great football coach."

Oh so just being around the almighty Rex makes him "great". Wow. Just wow.

No. I think it is more like - The guy doesn't keep his job for 7 years getting promoted along the way unless he is a good coach.

But yeah, read into it whatever you want.

I'm surprised nobody's started an A-Lynn thread so I will. G-Ro is history. I'm interested in the future and A-Lynn is the future.

Some of the players seem to have confidence in him. I don't know if anyone outside of OBD knows much about his offensive philosophy but SB Nation pretends to:

Lynn is likely committed to showing Ryan that Ryan might still be Jets coach, that Ryan might not be 8-10 now in Buffalo if hed given Lynn this shot much earlier. Lynns philosophy a run-centric offense that plays physical in style and piercing in the passing game is as Ryan-hat-hanging as it gets.

Here are some things that will happen with this Buffalo offense under Lynns direction:

• There will be an emphasis on remaining on schedule in drives. That means more offensive play calls complementing each other. More emphasis on reaching third-and-short situations.
  • There will be a patience and insistence on running the football. He will not abandon the running game just because a play or two loses a yard or only gains a yard. The pounding will be constant.
  • The offensive players will respond to him. Lynn will be clear, precise and demanding. Not only does he speak their language, but he also stirs their passion. Expect a bolder, more confident Buffalo offense.
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/16/12948416/rex-ryan-bills-hot-seat-fired-greg-roman-anthony-lynn-offensive-coordinator
How is that different from Roman? Didn't he just keep running the ball when everyone know we were going to run? How is forcing the issue in the run game supposed to get the ball to your playmaker Watkins? Edited by PromoTheRobot

How is that different from Roman? Didn't he just keep running the ball when everyone know we were going to run? How is forcing the issue in the run game supposed to get the ball to your playmaker Watkins?

It doesnt. All that get the ball to playmakers stuff at PC was just PR crap. It goes in direct conflict with promoting Lynn as OC

When AVP was elevated to OC, I thought "Great! Excellent move! A smart QB will make a great OC." Only it turned out that a guy with no in-game OC experience wasn't such a hot OC. Maybe Lynn was Roman's apprentice. Maybe he will be awesome. But history around here shows otherwise. Let's hope Lynn is different.

Let's hope the HC lets A-Lynn know about concepts like two minute drills,(apparently Rex never sent that memo to G-RO.) getting the play in FAST. and let Tyrod play to his strengths. Not change him. He has played scared it seems for 2 games.

Two minute drill? I'm not familiar with the concept....

Two questions. Is Anthony Lynn going to remain running backs coach in addition to his new responsibilities as OC? Secondly, what exactly is Chris Palmer's role with the team? His title is Senior Offensive Assistant. Whatever that means. When you consider that he's had both head coaching and offensive coordinator experience in the league, I'm surprised Rex didn't promote him over Anthony Lynn.

No. I think it is more like - The guy doesn't keep his job for 7 years getting promoted along the way unless he is a good coach.

But yeah, read into it whatever you want.

So Rob Ryan is a great coach too, huh?

And Roman, who Rex hired, was , until, Friday, considered to be a great coach by Rex too, no?

Read about him. He is Ground and Pound.

Plenty of succcessful offensive coaches have combined the power run with good aggressive passing attacks- Sean Payton, Kevin Gilbride, Jay Gruden and Bruce Arians spring immediately to mind. There's no way to know for sure whether Lynn is another Roman, or brings the whole enchilada to the table for consumption until we have some actual data points.

Its fun reading all the opinions, that's what we're here for, but it is an opinion, for now.

Plenty of succcessful offensive coaches have combined the power run with good aggressive passing attacks- Sean Payton, Kevin Gilbride, Jay Gruden and Bruce Arians spring immediately to mind. There's no way to know for sure whether Lynn is another Roman, or brings the whole enchilada to the table for consumption until we have some actual data points.

Its fun reading all the opinions, that's what we're here for, but it is an opinion, for now.

He has been with Rex the entire time from Jets on. So during those times has anyone actually seen an aggresive passing attack.

No, reason being that is NOT what Rex wants. You could have Chip Kelly as the OC and you are going to still see the 1970s offense Rex wants to run seeing he is the HC