Is Russ Brandon to Blame?

Dorkington

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Hue Jackson was Doug Whaley's #1 choice it gives me a lot more confidence in Doug Whaley, and a lot less confidence in the Pegulas. I already have none in Russ Brandon. When you hire a GM he should have the opportunity to pick the head coach. To neuter a GM and have some think tank that includes Russ Brandon and Terry and Kim Pegula is a joke.

I'm not sure it's even a true story, but if it is, it's truly concerning

And for the record Hue Jackson was far and away the best choice. An offensive coach who did wonders with Andy Dalton and the Bengals offense. 1 season of pro HC experience w/ the Raiders and finished 8-8. I've always really like his presence and I'm very curious to see how his future shakes out. He was my first choice at the time, so I'm rooting for him to do well.

It does bother me that the job of hiring the new HC didn't fall to the GM as that's his job with every other team and only teams with meddling owners make the choice themselves. How has that worked out over the years?

I agree with you on Hue Jackson as HC and Schwartz as DC which would have allowed the team to keep drafting for the offense and kept the continuity of that great 4-3 wide-nine scheme that Schwartz built in Buffalo.

If Hue Jackson was Doug Whaley's #1 choice it gives me a lot more confidence in Doug Whaley, and a lot less confidence in the Pegulas. I already have none in Russ Brandon. When you hire a GM he should have the opportunity to pick the head coach. To neuter a GM and have some think tank that includes Russ Brandon and Terry and Kim Pegula is a joke.

And for the record Hue Jackson was far and away the best choice. An offensive coach who did wonders with Andy Dalton and the Bengals offense. 1 season of pro HC experience w/ the Raiders and finished 8-8. I've always really like his presence and I'm very curious to see how his future shakes out. He was my first choice at the time, so I'm rooting for him to do well.

Lol Hue Jackson....

You keep bringing up 16 years and nobody is saying 16 years, but you! Nice try at more deflection.

The man clearly has been involved on the football side of things of the Buffalo Bills since Marv levy retired in 2007! While his title of director of nonfootball operations didn't change. Russ Brandon became the de facto GM at that time.

Russ Brandon attained more power in 2009 and became the Buffalo Bills CEO and he and the owner went on to hire a retired ex-scout as GM. This move drew the ire of some who thought by hiring this scout he was keeping a real NFL GM away from the team so he could keep meddling in football affairs. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/bills-decision-to-hire-nix-draws-criticism/

Regardless of whether Brandon nudged the process toward Nix or Guy in order to preserve Brandons turf, one league insider expressed strong opinions regarding the decision to go with Nix.

The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL, the source said. The Bills have not been to the playoffs in over 10 years and that run will continue for years to come. The owner has made three hires in a row that shows he only cares about mediocrity.

Four years ago he brings back Marv Levy, who was in his 80s. That didnt work. Two years ago he elevates his marketing director to G.M. and CEO and again it doesnt work, and now he elevates a 70-year-old scout to a position that requires work and energy. . . .

Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. "

How prophetic that last line is...only it's more than four years later, its six years later and here we still are...pretty damning stuff IMO.

Someone gave these new owners the idea that they had the football acumen to hire their NFL teams next head coach and the only man on their level and in their ear was Russ Brandon. Someone who they made team president and managing partner. Even if Russ Brandon didn't use any sway or influence on player personnel or hiring in all of his years as GM, CEO, team president and managing partner. (which I don't believe) His being in those positions kept a ''real" football man from being at the top of the org chart and making the proper football decisions to build a winning team.

16 years is how the whole discussion started; try reading the OP.

No QB = no winning

Blame the GMs.

Or don't.

For me, I've said my piece, and folks can choose to believe what they will.

I, however, won't be pinning the Rex hire (which I never liked) on Brandon when it's clear from Pegula's statement where things stood.

I'm out. Go Bills.

Edited by thebandit27

It's not so much defending Brandon as calling BS on the arguments against him. Frankly it all boils down to "he's been here for the drought" or "he's in the draft roon" or he's got Pegula's ear." In other words, nothing. No direct evidence that Brandon has any direct control of any aspect of football operations. Just fevered conjuncture.

But like you said, it's 2016. No one deals in facts anymore.

If we only dealt in facts there would be little traffic.

You can't blame Russ Brandon for the team's lack of success on the field. They have to find a competent GM who can instill a winning strategic plan, which includes finding a QB, and efficiently allocating the team's resources ($$ and draft picks) towards a winning program. To my mind, Doug Whaley has failed at this - he is a good enough scout, but he doesn't know how to build a team, has failed at it in multiple attempts, and needs to be fired.

How can you not give Brandon some of the blame?

He is the owner whisperer. He was Ralph Wilson's right arm man for many years. In fact, with each spin of the revolving door with respect to coaches and middle managers, Ralph bestowed upon Russ a promotion. Let that sink in for a second.

At the end, Russ was acting as the owner of the team and calling all the shots. How is it then that one can say he has had nothing at all to do with any decision making? Because the buck veers left and bypasses him?

How does one try to neat it up with a mental exacto knife that none of the decisions (or indecisions) ever made even partially by Russ Brandon have had any effect on the product of a franchise with the longest playoff drought in professional sports? It's impressive, actually. I've never heard of a top executive being so lily-white when his company is, in his own words, "tarnished."

And sure, the GMs and HCs haven't done a great job. But Brandon has had a hand in spinning that revolving door. We can say Marv Levy or Buddy Nix or Rex Ryan or whoever we want was a crap hire. But who was in the room on all of those? It wasn't the guy selling the beer in the stands.

No direct evidence that Brandon has any direct control of any aspect of football operations.

So, Brandon has some degree of influence over the people hired to control football operations, but because he does not personally bear direct control of these football operations, he is absolved of all culpability? Is this a new part of Fayol's Theory of Management? This could signal a new dawn for executives across the nation.

So, Brandon has some degree of influence over the people hired to control football operations, but because he does not personally bear direct control of these football operations, he is absolved of all culpability? Is this a new part of Fayol's Theory of Management? This could signal a new dawn for executives across the nation.

Without knowing the extent of control he has you are only guessing about his culpability. Now he did hire Doug Whaley. Do you consider him a bad hire? If so then I guess you can blame him for that. But comparing the Bills roster under Whaley to what we had under other GM's, you'd be hard pressed to prove Whaley is a bust.

As GM and President under Mr. Wilson, he would have been derelict in his job duties NOT to be involved in those decisions.

I can say a lot of nice things about Brandon. But it would be a waste of time.

You guys have at it. I'm out.

There you have it, right from someone who knows what's going on inside the Org. "Brandon would have been derelict in his job duties NOT to be involved in those decisions."

And I'll reiterate what I've known since '97, Russ Brandon NEVER made a unilateral personnel decision in his tenure. Not as Marketing VP, not as GM, not as President. Not once.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think anyone here is blaming the man for making any actual personnel decision all on his own. As the de facto GM, CEO, team president the man has had considerable power and influence in the org.

We've changed all the important bits of this team, owner, GMs, coaches, QBs, and still the same results... the only constant has been, since the late 90s, Russ Brandon has been in various positions in the front office. Is he to blame?

Since we last made the playoffs:

Owner:

Ralph Wilson

Terry Pegula

General Manager:

Butler

Donahue

Levy

Nix

Whaley

Head Coach:

Phillips

Williams

Mularkey

Jauron

Gailey

Marrone

Ryan

Quarterback:

Johnson

Van Pelt

Bledsoe

Losman

Edwards

Fitzpatrick

Manuel

Orton

Taylor

Yep, he and Whaley, Rex, and TT all need to go!

Everything has come full cycle. I'm not sure why I was excited for football to come back.

because football is awesome just the Bills are not.

Wouldn't it make sense? Why would Whaley bring in Ryan when the Bills already had a top 5 defense, knowing Ryan's D would need a complete rebuild?

For the people that want a Czar brought in, can I ask a simple question: What qualifies a person as a Football Czar?

Someone from outside the organization with no connections. Has been involved in 1, preferably multiple repeat deep playoff run organizations. Has an extensive rolodex of possible gms and coaches as well as credibility and respect. Has a handle on current trends in the league as well as respect for probability/risk management. Has a willingness and desire to take on this challenge (and not think he is some dignitary making 7 figures).

Brandon is great at his job. Two consecutive seasons of record season ticket sales in spite of not making the playoffs in 16 years? I'd say he's handling his responsibilities well. Not sure he has much say in personnel decisions...probably had a say in the Ryan hire so I guess you could hold that against him.

Do you really think people buy tickets because of some genius marketing scheme?

It's the NFL in western NY. As passionate a fan base as anywhere in the nation.