Is Russ Brandon to Blame?

Dorkington

I wondered when you'd chime in...please feel free to elaborate if you know better than I on this one

Russ's role in the Rex hire was (as I understand) to advise the Pegulas on process having been through it before. When they found the guy they liked he told them the way "it" works in the NFL you don't let the guy you like leave the building.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I haven't read through all ten pages so not sure if this was covered, but did Whaley really want to hire Hue Jackson but was overruled by Russ and Kim? Can anyone confirm this in any way?

I wondered when you'd chime in...please feel free to elaborate if you know better than I on this one

From what I understand of Pegula's style is that he takes input, adds it to his own interpretation, and makes a decision. In other words, if Ryan didn't pass interview muster with Pegula, there is NOTHING Brandon, Whaley, or anyone else was gonna say to convince him to hire him.

My "do the homework" remark was more in reference to the dearth of QBs you mentioned under the various personnel decision makers we've had in the past.

And I'll reiterate what I've known since '97, Russ Brandon NEVER made a unilateral personnel decision in his tenure. Not as Marketing VP, not as GM, not as President. Not once.

GO BILLS!!!

I haven't read through all ten pages so not sure if this was covered, but did Whaley really want to hire Hue Jackson but was overruled by Russ and Kim? Can anyone confirm this in any way?

Yep. It is about 3rd hand... but my understanding is that Whaley ranked the candidates for Terry and Kim after the first round of interviews and ranked Hue #1.

Jackson thought he had the job. He had even put in an exploratory phone call to Schwartz about staying on and was confident they would reach an agreement.

Yep. It is about 3rd hand... but my understanding is that Whaley ranked the candidates for Terry and Kim after the first round of interviews and ranked Hue #1.

Jackson thought he had the job. He had even put in an exploratory phone call to Schwartz about staying on and was confident they would reach an agreement.

God dammit. That would have been ideal. Who knows how well that could have worked out in a crappy AFC last year.

When your boss says he wants to hire the guy, you have to tell him "don't let him leave the room" when you suspect there's a very good chance that if he does, there will be a competing offer from another team.

No, he doesn't have to tell him that. If he doesn't agree with the hire, he should voice his opinion on it.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

That is just unbelievable to me. Terry came in talking about letting the football guys run the show as far as coach and roster, then he overrules the top football mind within the organization, and let's the one constant that has been here throughout the entire drought and his wife pick the coach.

This, after the previous year Whaley used the ninth, another first and a 4th to acquire Watkins. Whaley obviously had a vision for what he wanted his football team to be and had the coach who he wanted to run it. A coach who would know how to use Watkins, Woods, Clay etc. Instead he is overruled by the the constant and wifey and we get a coach who wants to win with defense and running the ball. If Whaley was trying to win with that model, he would have taken Mack with that pick he traded up for. The ownership failed Whaley if this is the case.

Also, if Jackson and Schwartz were the HC and DC last year, the drought would likely be over.

It was Terry and Kim who were impressed with Rex that is on record. They loved his energy and passion. I have never been a Rex believer even the two AFC title game years and yet even I might think after spending an hour in his company "man does this guy want to coach here." Rex is a salesman. Sadly the goods are almost always faulty.

Essentially I am saying a mistake but an understandable one for rookie owners.

Edited by GunnerBill

Russ's role in the Rex hire was (as I understand) to advise the Pegulas on process having been through it before. When they found the guy they liked he told them the way "it" works in the NFL you don't let the guy you like leave the building.

So a billionaire businessman needed russ to help the GM and himself hire a key staff member?

I just get the feeling Pegula has done and seen that many more times than Russ Brandon. In fact since the arguement has turned too he was just "there" but had no final say. And taught a billionaire businessman that when you get the guy you want. "Don't let him leave the room"

I'll go out on a limb and say Pegula is well aware of this brilliant strategy.

From what I understand of Pegula's style is that he takes input, adds it to his own interpretation, and makes a decision. In other words, if Ryan didn't pass interview muster with Pegula, there is NOTHING Brandon, Whaley, or anyone else was gonna say to convince him to hire him.

My "do the homework" remark was more in reference to the dearth of QBs you mentioned under the various personnel decision makers we've had in the past.

And I'll reiterate what I've known since '97, Russ Brandon NEVER made a unilateral personnel decision in his tenure. Not as Marketing VP, not as GM, not as President. Not once.

GO BILLS!!!

You just know we're talking about a great asset when the nicest thing anyone can say about the guy is that he "NEVER made a unilateral personnel decision."

Look, as many have pointed out, why is he in on these decisions at all? We've treaded water, or worse "throughout his entire tenure".

Let's bring in some new blood. It's obvious to so many of us that Russ's time here represents the worst period in team history. He's hardly the silent saint sitting in the back of the room that you paint him to be.

So a billionaire businessman needed russ to help the GM and himself hire a key staff member?

I just get the feeling Pegula has done and seen that many more times than Russ Brandon. In fact since the arguement has turned too he was just "there" but had no final say. And taught a billionaire businessman that when you get the guy you want. "Don't let him leave the room"

It's amazing what little regard people have for Pegula's intellect.

This thread is just the latest for a subject that's been beaten to death.

I am not commenting on the right or wrongs. But that is my understanding of Brandon's role. Terry was lead interviewer with input from Whaley and Kim. Brandon did not play an active role in the interview process. He was there to advise on process.

You just know we're talking about a great asset when the nicest thing anyone can say about the guy is that he "NEVER made a unilateral personnel decision."

Look, as many have pointed out, why is he in on these decisions at all? We've treaded water, or worse "throughout his entire tenure".

Let's bring in some new blood. It's obvious to so many of us that Russ's time here represents the worst period in team history. He's hardly the silent saint sitting in the back of the room that you paint him to be.

As GM and President under Mr. Wilson, he would have been derelict in his job duties NOT to be involved in those decisions.

I can say a lot of nice things about Brandon. But it would be a waste of time.

You guys have at it. I'm out.

Edited by K-9

You assume Brandon disagreed with Pegula's decision?

No, he certainly agreed with it. Probably influenced it more than most want to admit. You inferred that he had no other option even if he did disagree.

And just because he hasn't been acting unilaterally in the past while wearing the title of President doesn't excuse him from his mistakes.

I am not commenting on the right or wrongs. But that is my understanding of Brandon's role. Terry was lead interviewer with input from Whaley and Kim. Brandon did not play an active role in the interview process. He was there to advise on process.

Well i,guess i understand what you are saying. i go back to I am sure Pegula was well aware of the years of fail.

To include Brandon's stint as GM and in the end Ralph's right hand man and voice. Based on the results Brandon

Achieved (or lack thereof) One would think the new owner would be a tad skeptical on advice from Russ on anything football related.

And weight Brandons opinions accordingly. But he is new too the NFL so who knows.......

No, he certainly agreed with it. Probably influenced it more than most want to admit. You inferred that he had no other option even if he did disagree.

And just because he hasn't been acting unilaterally in the past while wearing the title of President doesn't excuse him from his mistakes.

I didn't infer anything because my assumption was that he DID agree with the decision. If he didn't then, yes, Brandon should have and would have voiced his opposition. I get the impression Pegula welcomes alternative viewpoints anyway. So, assuming Brandon was on board and in sync with Pegula, it was perfectly reasonable for him to advise Pegula not to let him leave the room because there was a high likelihood of another offer from another team, so why take the chance if you can avoid it?

I'll repeat, there was NOTHING Brandon was gonna say to get Ryan hired if Ryan didn't pass interview muster with Terry Pegula first.

I'm tired of these hindsight arguments. If Rex had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

Have at it, I'm officially out.

I'll repeat, there was NOTHING Brandon was gonna say to get Ryan hired if Ryan didn't pass interview muster with Terry Pegula first.

There is no need to repeat it, or to even say it in the first place. I think it's patently obvious that yes, if an owner does not like a coaching candidate there is nothing any President or GM in the league can do about it.

If Rex had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

If Doug Marrone had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

If Chan Gailey had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

If Dick Jauron had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

What's the variable in this equation and what's the constant?