Is Russ Brandon to Blame?

Dorkington

There is no need to repeat it, or to even say it in the first place. I think it's patently obvious that yes, if an owner does not like a coaching candidate there is nothing any President or GM in the league can do about it.

If Doug Marrone had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

If Chan Gailey had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

If Dick Jauron had success from the get go, none of this is being discussed right now.

What's the variable in this equation and what's the constant?

The argument that Brandon is the "constant" - with morning more - is just stupid. That's not a reason to fire someone, but it sure is indicative of the lynchmob mentality that has overtaken this country as of late.

I made a sound anti-Brandon argument upthread. You should read it.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As GM and President under Mr. Wilson, he would have been derelict in his job duties NOT to be involved in those decisions.

I can say a lot of nice things about Brandon. But it would be a waste of time.

You guys have at it. I'm out.

Every one of his defenders keeps saying this in one form or another but provides no actual examples of the value he's added to the team.

So please enlighten us.

Every one of his defenders keeps saying this in one form or another but provides no actual examples of the value he's added to the team.

So please enlighten us.

Just FYI, this poster has been on the inside of 1 Bills Drive in a professional capacity.

If he's speaking in absolutes, then it's safe to take him at his word in my experience.

So please enlighten us.

Keeps saying what, exactly? If you made someone GM and President of your football team, you WOULDN'T have him involved in decision making?

As to what value he brings, you haven't been paying attention.

I've been enlightening this forum on this tired, retread of a subject for years now. Do your own homework and enlighten yourself.

No you haven't.

The guy asked a simple question and you pretty much said figure it out for yourself.

You have homework to do, too. Wake me when you need help with a new subject and not one that's been the point of countless threads and that many more posts over the last 10 years or so.

Not that you'd let self-edification get in the way of your incessant moaning and groaning about everything wrong with the Bills, anyway. That's a full time hobby for you from what I can gather.

Have a nice evening.

When you support the assertion with a quote from the owner saying that after the GM asked his questions and "we all" knew Rex was the guy, so Russ said "don't let him leave", and that's the definitive word that he has too much influence, what do you expect?

Telling your boss to hire a guy he wants to hire isn't having influence. At best, it's wanting the appearance of influence.

I've said from the beginning that this entire conversation is wrought from the misplaced desire to point the finger at one person for the last 16 years of failure.

In reality, the reason is much simpler: no QB.

You want to know who to blame? Here's a list:

John Butler

Tom Donahoe

Marv Levy

Tom Modrak

Buddy Nix

And--if you don't believe that Tyrod is the guy (which how could you at this time?)--Doug Whaley.

You keep bringing up 16 years and nobody is saying 16 years, but you! Nice try at more deflection.

The man clearly has been involved on the football side of things of the Buffalo Bills since Marv levy retired in 2007! While his title of director of nonfootball operations didn't change. Russ Brandon became the de facto GM at that time.

Russ Brandon attained more power in 2009 and became the Buffalo Bills CEO and he and the owner went on to hire a retired ex-scout as GM. This move drew the ire of some who thought by hiring this scout he was keeping a real NFL GM away from the team so he could keep meddling in football affairs. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/bills-decision-to-hire-nix-draws-criticism/

Regardless of whether Brandon nudged the process toward Nix or Guy in order to preserve Brandon’s turf, one league insider expressed strong opinions regarding the decision to go with Nix.
“The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL,” the source said. “The Bills have not been to the playoffs in over 10 years and that run will continue for years to come. The owner has made three hires in a row that shows he only cares about mediocrity.
“Four years ago he brings back Marv Levy, who was in his 80’s. That didn’t work. Two years ago he elevates his marketing director to G.M. and CEO and again it doesn’t work, and now he elevates a 70-year-old scout to a position that requires work and energy. . . .
“Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. "

How prophetic that last line is...only it's more than four years later, its six years later and here we still are...pretty damning stuff IMO.

Someone gave these new owners the idea that they had the football acumen to hire their NFL teams next head coach and the only man on their level and in their ear was Russ Brandon. Someone who they made team president and managing partner. Even if Russ Brandon didn't use any sway or influence on player personnel or hiring in all of his years as GM, CEO, team president and managing partner. (which I don't believe) His being in those positions kept a ''real" football man from being at the top of the org chart and making the proper football decisions to build a winning team.

If Hue Jackson was Doug Whaley's #1 choice it gives me a lot more confidence in Doug Whaley, and a lot less confidence in the Pegulas. I already have none in Russ Brandon. When you hire a GM he should have the opportunity to pick the head coach. To neuter a GM and have some think tank that includes Russ Brandon and Terry and Kim Pegula is a joke.

I'm not sure it's even a true story, but if it is, it's truly concerning

And for the record Hue Jackson was far and away the best choice. An offensive coach who did wonders with Andy Dalton and the Bengals offense. 1 season of pro HC experience w/ the Raiders and finished 8-8. I've always really like his presence and I'm very curious to see how his future shakes out. He was my first choice at the time, so I'm rooting for him to do well.

I agree... Amazing that people come out of the woodwork to defend. Almost as if these people worked in the multi media department of a PR firm and are paid to shape the conversation regarding Brandon. It is 2016 nothing would surprise me.

It's not so much defending Brandon as calling BS on the arguments against him. Frankly it all boils down to "he's been here for the drought" or "he's in the draft roon" or he's got Pegula's ear." In other words, nothing. No direct evidence that Brandon has any direct control of any aspect of football operations. Just fevered conjuncture.

But like you said, it's 2016. No one deals in facts anymore.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree... Amazing that people come out of the woodwork to defend. Almost as if these people worked in the multi media department of a PR firm and are paid to shape the conversation regarding Brandon. It is 2016 nothing would surprise me.

Shills are gonna shill.