TNF: Panthers at Broncos - 8:30 PM ET on NBC

26CornerBlitz

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Super Bowl 50 Rematch?

So this Denver team, what do we think? They look like a team that'll be competitive in every game but ultimately I don't think Siemien is going to get them more than nine wins. He was poised but all I saw were simple throws and reads which defenses will take advantage of in the coming weeks.

Probably win their division.

I think that normally when a QB throws 2 picks (and could easily have had a 3rd), their team does not win.

If it's our QB who throws 2 picks (and could easily have had a 3rd), we clamor for his head on a pike and start talking about how he's the worst ever.

If it's their 3rd year in the league and they do it against Jacksonville, then yes.

If it's their very first game against a team that just went to the Superbowl, then no.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He had already thrown the ball before he was speared.

Looking at the video, it's clear to me that he pulled back when he threw because he was bracing himself for the shot to the head.

So while he did release the ball first, I think the reason it didn't make it past the line was due to the imminent spear.

Ironically, it would have been better if he just held onto the ball.

I saw that in real time.

Oh, and they instead called a ticky tack face mask on the center instead.

Also, I recall a play where a bronco just wrapped Newton around the head. Pretty sure that is illegal.

Probably win their division.

If it's their 3rd year in the league and they do it against Jacksonville, then yes.

If it's their very first game against a team that just went to the Superbowl, then no.

We are talking about a team with one of the best WR duos in the league vs a team with awful and/or rookie corners though.

there could/should have been 3 or 4 calls for hits to the head on Cam that were not called imho, but again, i was flipping from the Yankee game, so i probably missed some others, but what i saw seemed pretty blatant, based on the rules in place today

I am trying to be argumentative - and you are correct.

Actually you are wrong.

Summary From The Official NFL Rule Book - Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line).

Oh and there is this from 2016 NFL operations:

Crown of Helmet

For safety reasons, the Committee believes that crown-of-the-helmet hits by defenders that were previously legal because the defender did not line up the runner should be illegal regardless of whether the defender lines up the runner prior to making contact. When the rule was first implemented, game officials were instructed to look for three elements for interpreting the rule for initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet:

• The player must line up his opponent
  • He must lower his head
  • He must make forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.

Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Actually you are wrong.

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive teams end line).

Thank you.

Actually you are wrong.

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive teams end line).

and it gets ignored all the time on offensive players.

If cam wants calls he has to learn to stand there and take them. Not scramble, not lower his shoulder, not try to flee all the time. This is what Brady does.

And in 2-3 yrs Newton will be lucky to know his own name at this rate.

and it gets ignored all the time on offensive players.

If cam wants calls he has to learn to stand there and take them. Not scramble, not lower his shoulder, not try to flee all the time. This is what Brady does.

And in 2-3 yrs Newton will be lucky to know his own name at this rate.

They are suppose to enforce when a runner does it but more often than not it's when the defender does it.

Looking at the video, it's clear to me that he pulled back when he threw because he was bracing himself for the shot to the head.

So while he did release the ball first, I think the reason it didn't make it past the line was due to the imminent spear.

Ironically, it would have been better if he just held onto the ball.

I'm sorry but this is absurd.

Actually you are wrong.

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line).

Oh and there is this from 2016 NFL operations:

Then I guess Newton really should have been called for spearing when he used the crown of his helmet to hit the defender in the head after all.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

It was a penalty but it was offset.

Should have been an ejection. There were more:

camhit.gif

This one's not the same thing. Cam lowers his shoulder/head into the defender. If he doesn't do that helmet to helmet contact isn't made.

The one that was negated by the intentional grounding was ridiculous though. He should have been ejected and I wouldn't be upset if he got a game suspension. It was a pathetic cheap shot.

Headshots are illegal no matter how you play. Period.

I do not really care for either team, but IMO Cam Newton was the driving force of the Panthers. In the first half he was grinning and pretty "cocky". I almost think the Broncos defense second half game plan was to rattle Newton. I do not condone headshots on any player, The Broncos escaped the penalties, and Newton was obviously NOT the same player after a couple of head bangers.

As far as celebrating a missed FG, mentioned in another post, does anyone remember SB XXV?

Teams and fans celebrate (or are crushed) by fumbles or dropped passes or a myriad of mistakes made on the last play of a game that decide the winner. What makes a missed FG any different?

Just askin....

This one's not the same thing. Cam lowers his shoulder/head into the defender. If he doesn't do that helmet to helmet contact isn't made.

The one that was negated by the intentional grounding was ridiculous though. He should have been ejected and I wouldn't be upset if he got a game suspension. It was a pathetic cheap shot.

I agree, but I tend to think if it isn't Cam, if it's Brady, he gets that call.

I agree.

Also consider the fact that the reason he couldn't get it past the line of scrimmage is because a guy was in the process of spearing him In the face.

well, the ball was already out. i doubt they call the grounding if he was hit in the face and THEN just kind of pushed the ball forward meekly. offsetting there is not pretty/satisfying but makes sense. im honestly not sure the precedent on ejections with hits like that so i wont comment. you can be sure its a fine coming. Edited by NoSaint