and Skurski Throws in the towel as well

8-8 Forever?

Whether they make the playoffs this year or not has nothing to do with what happened in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.........

They will succeed or not on their relative strengths or weaknesses in comparison to that of their opponents in 2016. Nothing more or less. This 16 years spiel is nonsense IMO.

I would agree completely if it was fantasy football and every season was starting with empty rosters. The past 16 years don't doom the Bills to failure, or even mediocrity yet again, but it definitely has an impact IMO.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree completely if it was fantasy football and every season was starting with empty rosters. The past 16 years don't doom the Bills to failure, or even mediocrity yet again, but it definitely has an impact IMO.

I promise if we had made the playoffs 16 years in a row and some reporter predicted 8-8 he'd point to the last 16 years immediately.

That said, I agree that the last 16 years don't mean much. Last year does though and our defense crashed last year. It has already begun to burn. Pegula and/or Whaley better recognize this obvious fact before our offense with potential gets too old. I think we have a window for success which starts the minute Rex leaves.

I'm an eternal optimist, I just don't see the value in pessimism. Last year the Bills finished 8-8 with a new coach, which brings new systems. There was also a new QB. This year is year two for all, a consistency the Bills have lacked. So the reason that people think they will finish the same, or worse is injury. Lost for the season is a rookie LB and a second or third string TE that a few months ago many thought may not make the team. Lost for some games, pro bowl DL man and rookie LB.

All teams have some weaknesses. The Bills have talent, their weakness is depth at some positions, namely OL, LB and TE. We have watched Bills teams win six games with bad coaching, no QB and serious lack of talent at skill positions. Which is why I don't get the 6-10 crowd. What is the same finish as last year based on? Mario Williams being gone? For all intents and purposes he was gone last year. Some point to the schedule, but every year there are teams that are supposed to be good that aren't and vise versa.

Perhaps it all comes down to whether one things Ryan can coach, we shall see.

Edited by chris heff

why is honest journalism throwing in the towel?

why are we attacking these guys? they're local and we hate them worse than national guys (who conspire against us and have no respect for us, blablabalalalbla)

i'm not throwing in the towel this season but i am not seeing us as being a team that gets the job done and gets us to where i want this team to be. sure we could make the playoffs, but i don't give a **** about that. that is not success to me.

Edited by Boyst62

Their lack of understanding on how football actually works and the importance of players being on the same page and understanding the scheme and their role in it is stunning. For this reason alone, the Bills defense will be improved. I'll be willing to bet halfway through the year they will be "shocked" at how much better the D is, but in reality the only thing that will be shocking is their lack of football knowledge to see that it was almost inevitable for them to be better.

The offense will be fine if not improved, leading me to think this team has a good shot at the playoffs.

Edited by matter2003

I'm an eternal optimist, I just don't see the value in pessimism. Last year the Bills finished 8-8 with a new coach, which brings new systems. There was also a new QB. This year is year two for all, a consistency the Bills have lacked. So the reason that people think they will finish the same, or worse is, injury. Lost for the season is a rookie LB and a second or third string TE that a few months ago many thought may not make the team. Lost for some games, pro bowl DL man and rookie LB.

All teams have some weaknesses. The Bills have talent, their weakness is depth at some positions, namely OL, LB and TE. We have watched Bills teams win six games with bad coaching, no QB and serious lack of talent at skill positions. Which is why I don't get the 6-10 crowd. What is the same finish as last year based on? Mario Williams being gone? For all intents and purposes he was gone last year. Some point to the schedule, but every year there are teams that are supposed to be good that aren't and vise versa.

Perhaps it all comes down to whether one things Ryan can coach, we shall see.

Well written Chris, amd amen to 26CB's point. This team from top to bottom has nothing to do with 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and so on. The GM, Coaching Staff, and talent are all different. The only continuity is VP over business and marketing in Brandon. I'll remain cautiously optimistic until proven otherwise. To me, it's the first four games that will tell me we have a chance to get back to the dance in January. I'm hopeful we are 3-1 compared to the Jets and Pats at 1-3.

Well written Chris, amd amen to 26CB's point. This team from top to bottom has nothing to do with 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and so on. The GM, Coaching Staff, and talent are all different. The only continuity is VP over business and marketing in Brandon. I'll remain cautiously optimistic until proven otherwise. To me, it's the first four games that will tell me we have a chance to get back to the dance in January. I'm hopeful we are 3-1 compared to the Jets and Pats at 1-3.

You mention Russ Brandon. From the Syracuse post 9/2/16. Rex Ryan speaking. " we had a 7:30am meeting, Whaley, myself, Coordinators, Jim Monos, and RUSS BRANDON was there. we finalized our cuts."

Russ Brandon is the one constant of fail. Since the day he was hired. Not failure in putting bodies in seats ( or inventory as he calls it) but failure on the field. Would have liked too see a transcript of the great Russ Brandons comments on finalizing cuts. because you know he has no input on personel matters anymore per OBD. And i believe Kim Pegula said that too.

Not saying that success isn't very close. IMO very few tears would be shed if say Russ went fulltime to the Sabres and let the Bills fend without his input.

Don't think they are being attacked, but I agree. Why is a prediction of 8-8 or worse throwing in the towel? Who outside of Buffalo thinks this team will be in the playoffs?

very few in buffalo think they'll make the playoffs when give a 100% honest answer.

Whether they make the playoffs this year or not has nothing to do with what happened in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.........

They will succeed or not on their relative strengths or weaknesses in comparison to that of their opponents in 2016. Nothing more or less. This 16 years spiel is nonsense IMO.

True , this years team will determine their own success on the field due to those relative strengths and weaknesses . But those strengths/ weaknesses have been created by a front office that has some of the same cast making decisions during part of the drought. It would be silly to ignore that when reporting on the team and writing commentary on their performance. Does it mean that the team cannot make the playoffs because they didn't make it in the last 16 tries? Of course not. But these streaks tend to take on a life of their own , and can weigh on a franchise. In the FO and the locker room . So the streak is taken into account when looking for a reason for this years edition to break out of it. There appear to be too many unfilled holes on D , question marks on a ST unit that lost many players after a solid performance in 2015, and a lack of depth at TE combined with questionable WR talent on O. So it's easy to see where an objective reporter would look at those things combined with the fact that Brady/ Belichick still reside in the AFC East and see many roadblocks to a playoff berth in 2016. Those of us following the team can see it also. It doesn't mean we won't continue to follow and root for them every Sunday, and doesn't make it hopeless to make the playoffs, just unlikely .

Not that anyone cares but here's how I see it:

09/11

@ Baltimore Ravens

LOSS

09/15

NEW YORK JETS WIN

WIN

09/25

ARIZONA CARDINALS

LOSS

10/02

@ New England Patriots

LOSS

10/09

@ Los Angeles Rams

WIN

10/16

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

LOSS

10/23

@ Miami Dolphins

WIN

10/30

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

LOSS

11/07

@ Seattle Seahawks

LOSS

11/20

@ Cincinnati Bengals

LOSS

11/27

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

WIN

12/4

@ Oakland Raiders

WIN

12/11

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

LOSS

12/18

CLEVELAND BROWNS

WIN

12/24

MIAMI DOLPHINS

WIN

01/01

@ New York Jets

LOSS

1:00 pm

7 - 9

If Tyrod feels the pressure to overcompensate for the disastrous behavior of his teammates-- for Pete's sake one of his main weapons on O decides to quit working out and quit on the team. -- the highest paid player chooses getting high over his team and city..

All this is more pressure on Tyrod. If he can't handle it, if he gripps-- 4/12 is not an impossibility.

75 minutes for me usually, I record and strip out commercials and halftime and watch witht he family during dinner (PS 4:00 games suck!) ;)

Do you actually have a way to strip out commercials or are you talking about just fast forwarding thru them?

7 - 9

There's no way they lose to the Niners at home (better not since I hate the Niners). Also, being on the West coast I've gone to about a dozen games the Bills have played out here and they lost every time. Their record out here is pathetic so they likely will not be winning at the Rams (I'll be there) or Raiders.

Optimism says 10-6, 11-5. Tyrod lights it up. Sammy and McCoy are injury free and play to their potential. No injuries on the O-Line and Clay plays to his contract. Plus Ed Reed gets the D talking and comprehending Rex's D.

Pessimism says 5-11, 6-10. Tyrod is good, not great. Shady is hurt. Sammy misses time. One of are starting O-line go down and the D never materializes in Dareus absence. By the time the D is clicking we hit the meat of the schedule and drop to 3-7, 3-8. Late season surge prevents a top 5 pick again.

Realism: 7-9 to 9-7.. Bills football year in year out.

very few in buffalo think they'll make the playoffs when give a 100% honest answer.

Lines clearly drawn in the sand

NNN's - why are we attacking these columnists for their doom and gloom predictions?

Optomists - why cant these columnists look at the strengths of the team?

Nobody is gonna budge off their postions much

Optimism says 10-6, 11-5. Tyrod lights it up. Sammy and McCoy are injury free and play to their potential. No injuries on the O-Line and Clay plays to his contract. Plus Ed Reed gets the D talking and comprehending Rex's D.

Pessimism says 5-11, 6-10. Tyrod is good, not great. Shady is hurt. Sammy misses time. One of are starting O-line go down and the D never materializes in Dareus absence. By the time the D is clicking we hit the meat of the schedule and drop to 3-7, 3-8. Late season surge prevents a top 5 pick again.

Realism: 7-9 to 9-7.. Bills football year in year out.

You do realize that we can take some injuries provided they are not season ending ones and a run on certain positions and absorb it right?

Every position except for one

Lines clearly drawn in the sand

NNN's - why are we attacking these columnists for their doom and gloom predictions?

Optomists - why cant these columnists look at the strengths of the team?

Nobody is gonna budge off their postions much

i normally pick the entire nfl season out game for game the year before week 1. i'll do it tuesday-ish. last i looked, i'd say 8

Edited by Boyst62

You mention Russ Brandon. From the Syracuse post 9/2/16. Rex Ryan speaking. " we had a 7:30am meeting, Whaley, myself, Coordinators, Jim Monos, and RUSS BRANDON was there. we finalized our cuts."

Russ Brandon is the one constant of fail. Since the day he was hired. Not failure in putting bodies in seats ( or inventory as he calls it) but failure on the field. Would have liked too see a transcript of the great Russ Brandons comments on finalizing cuts. because you know he has no input on personel matters anymore per OBD. And i believe Kim Pegula said that too.

Not saying that success isn't very close. IMO very few tears would be shed if say Russ went fulltime to the Sabres and let the Bills fend without his input.

Careful... Brandon apologists are aplenty and they'll be quick to inform you that he was only in the final player cut meeting to mention some new marketing ideas.

Careful... Brandon apologists are aplenty and they'll be quick to inform you that he was only in the final player cut meeting to mention some new marketing ideas.

Do you truly think Russ Brandon has say on roster cuts in this current organization?

Just because he books the room doesnt mean he has say on cuts

i normally pick the entire nfl season out game for game the year before week 1. i'll do it tuesday-ish. last i looked, i'd say 8

To me the difference between 8 wins and 10 wins is health at key positions......its only a 2 game swing

Not that anyone cares but here's how I see it:
09/11 @ Baltimore Ravens LOSS 09/15 NEW YORK JETS WIN WIN 09/25 ARIZONA CARDINALS LOSS 10/02 @ New England Patriots LOSS 10/09 @ Los Angeles Rams WIN 10/16 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS LOSS 10/23 @ Miami Dolphins WIN 10/30 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS LOSS 11/07 @ Seattle Seahawks LOSS 11/20 @ Cincinnati Bengals LOSS 11/27 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS WIN 12/4 @ Oakland Raiders WIN 12/11 PITTSBURGH STEELERS LOSS 12/18 CLEVELAND BROWNS WIN 12/24 MIAMI DOLPHINS WIN 01/01 @ New York Jets LOSS 1:00 pm
7 - 9

The bolded are the predictions I would really like you to come back and explain

Do you truly think Russ Brandon has say on roster cuts in this current organization?

To me the difference between 8 wins and 10 wins is health at key positions......its only a 2 game swing

So now it's not even that he's the marketing guy. He's just the bellboy, folks. He's only there for accommodations, move along, there's nothing to see here.

I did not say he had final say or anything like that...I just think know it's absurd that he is heavily involved in the discussion at all. We've been below average for 16 years. He's been in charge for a lot of them. Them's the facts jack.

I don't want to re-hash this debate because we are just never going to agree on this one.