Depth will be a problem this year

jahnyc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depth is a problem every year since the salary cap happened as I suspect it is for everyone else.

People should be more concerned about the starting defense, which to a man will field a less talented team than last year or the one before.

But perhaps it doesn't matter.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Depth is a problem every year since the salary cap happened as I suspect it is for everyone else.

People should be more concerned about the starting defense, which to a man will field a less talented team than last year or the one before.

But perhaps it doesn't matter.

Unless all this paper talent can show up on the field, it does not matter.

Current FO drafts pretty well compared to rest of the league.

Don't won loss records dictate to an extent how well a team is

drafting? In the least drafting well is one of the major components for winning games.

that said I would say the current FO drafts like their yearly record. Average around the middle

Of The pack. And can't draft qb's to save their lives.

drafting? In the least drafting well is one of the major components for winning games.

that said I would say the current FO drafts like their yearly record. Average around the middle

Current FO has drafted 2 QBs. One is a rookie and one is EJ. Tell me the other name from EJs class you want instead and tell me where they currently stand on their own team.

Current FO has drafted 2 QBs. One is a rookie and one is EJ. Tell me the other name from EJs class you want instead and tell me where they currently stand on their own team.

Would never had got into the situation so dire they had to take a QB in a class when there were none. Most bobbleheads, scouts, etc. said as much at the time. Nix getting catfished may or may not have played a part of having to reach. But the Bills thought they were the smartest team in the room and made the guy a first round pick. Jones is well lets wait and see..............

Would never had got into the situation so dire they had to take a QB in a class when there were none. Most bobbleheads, scouts, etc. said as much at the time. Nix getting catfished may or may not have played a part of having to reach. But the Bills thought they were the smartest team in the room and made the guy a first round pick. Jones is well lets wait and see..............

Current front office didn't put them in that situation. They traded down which landed Kiko and ultimately Lasean.

Current front office didn't put them in that situation. They traded down which landed Kiko and ultimately Lasean.

I thought were talking QB's and yes the current FO did put them in that situation. That Would be Whaley and his undying love for Manuel. His input on that pick was huge, since Nix was heading to his retirement the next season. I believe he (Whaley) currently ranks EJ as one of the best backups in the league. BIg talk for a QB who has never won a game as a backup. Actually quite the opposite.

The Trade down doesn't mean much when you reach for a QB in the first round that turns into a bust. It is a wash. They got a tradeable player and a first round QB bust that year. Two - Three effin years flushed with EJ under center. And stealing reps from Tyrod in the silly QB 2015 competition. Current or past regimes the Bills have proven over and over they cannot draft a QB. Thanks to Rex, apparently they may have got chit ass lucky getting Tyrod as a FA at least their is hope now.

its true, and i point i kind of made in my post.

we could probably be deeper in a few more spots though, if gearing up for a deep playoff run this year. we made some choices along the way that were more long term cap oriented than maximizing 2016 wins (not a bad thing, just an acknowledgement). We also had a lot of guys getting their big deals which weeds out some of the middle we could count on.

and of course having to bring in a vet instead of relying on the super cheap karlos and upgrading somewhere else slightly was another little move that hurts quality depth on a roster.

We had karlos when we brought in Bush.

I think Bush just offers a new wrinkle. and is an upgrade of sorts.

To respond to the OP , i think Bills have better , it not the best depth they have had in years. generally speaking. I even like some of the potential PS guys if Bills have to call some up

Draft is not the only way to acquire players, especially depth. If we just look at that in a vacuum Bills do not look so smart right now.

But to me. it is early in Whaleys GM career

and this is where i need to mention , again, Pro Scouting seems to be a strength for our beloved Bills

I thought were talking QB's and yes the current FO did put them in that situation. That Would be Whaley and his undying love for Manuel. His input on that pick was huge, since Nix was heading to his retirement the next season. I believe he (Whaley) currently ranks EJ as one of the best backups in the league. BIg talk for a QB who has never won a game as a backup. Actually quite the opposite.

The Trade down doesn't mean much when you reach for a QB in the first round that turns into a bust. It is a wash. They got a tradeable player and a first round QB bust that year. Two - Three effin years flushed with EJ under center. And stealing reps from Tyrod in the silly QB 2015 competition. Current or past regimes the Bills have proven over and over they cannot draft a QB. Thanks to Rex, apparently they may have got chit ass lucky getting Tyrod as a FA at least their is hope now.

Again, the current FO did not put them in the situation that they HAD to take a qb in 2013. The trade does mean something as they could of easily taken him at 8 and gotten nothing else. They got an elite rb who is one of the two main focal points of your offense. Yes, they missed on EJ but tell me a team that hasn't missed on drafting a QB. It's a crap shoot.

I think our WRs are way below average after Watkins. Goodwin may be able to make other rosters, but he needs to show that he can stay healthy. Manuel was a reach and never should have been taken in the first round. I don't think our depth has been helped by Whaley trading away some of our draft picks over the last few years.

Edited by jahnyc

I think our WRs are way below average after Watkins. Goodwin may be able to make other rosters, but he needs to show that he can stay healthy. Manuel was a reach and never should have been taken in the first round. I don't think our depth has been helped by Whaley trading away some of our draft picks over the last few years.

Cincinnati is an AFC frontrunner. Name me their WRs after AJ. Seattle is an NFC frontrunner and their OLine is a complete mess. Besides a FEW teams, our DB depth is tops. Have you seen MIA???

Our depth seems very weak going into this season, more so than in recent years. The lack of depth impacts almost every position, including, in particular, O-line, WR, TE, and LB. I also see very few back-ups that are up and coming type players, so I am not sure we will see many jumps in player development over this season from that pool of players. This may be in part due to our salary cap situation in the offseason where we did not have the flexibility to sign any quality back-ups.

I think it is not that we dont have depth....it is that we dont have VETERAN depth

The bills are gambling that young rooks like Albright....Powell.....etc....that those guys are going to give more quality play then older veteran guys that have reached their potentials

Our depth seems very weak going into this season, more so than in recent years. The lack of depth impacts almost every position, including, in particular, O-line, WR, TE, and LB. I also see very few back-ups that are up and coming type players, so I am not sure we will see many jumps in player development over this season from that pool of players. This may be in part due to our salary cap situation in the offseason where we did not have the flexibility to sign any quality back-ups.

Why do you think there is a lack of depth. I hear people say this all the time, but based on what? They have good backups on DL, DB, RB. I like the WR's. EJ is no worse than most backup QB's. I can see LB and Interior OL, being a concern for some, but that's not an across the board issue and the truth is a back up is not as good as a starter in most cases. Great depth is the mythological creature everyone says exists, but we rarely see across every position on any team.

While I agree that we have some quality starters, I think our back-ups at TE, OG, C, LB, WR, DE. and OLB are poor. One thing to support this is that the Bills have been picking up discarded players from other teams at those positions over the last week or so, such as Biermann (already cut), Lewis (C/OG), McCray (LB), and Humber (LB). Not sure why posters here are so comfortable with our back-ups if it is clear that the coaching staff and FO are not. We will see how things play out this season.

One thing that continues to surprise me is that many posters seem to think we have a good group of WRs. I don't see much after Watkins. I hope I am wrong.