Depth will be a problem this year

jahnyc

Our depth seems very weak going into this season, more so than in recent years. The lack of depth impacts almost every position, including, in particular, O-line, WR, TE, and LB. I also see very few back-ups that are up and coming type players, so I am not sure we will see many jumps in player development over this season from that pool of players. This may be in part due to our salary cap situation in the offseason where we did not have the flexibility to sign any quality back-ups.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WR depth - Very Strong!

DB depth - Very Strong!

DL depth - Very Strong!

RB depth - Very Strong!

C,OT depth- Very Strong!

Coaching depth- Very Strong!

Injured/Suspended returns -Very Strong!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, jahync, but given Cap constraints, we're in a good position. IMO..

WR depth - Very Strong!

DB depth - Very Strong!

DL depth - Very Strong!

RB depth - Very Strong!

C,OT depth- Very Strong!

Coaching depth- Very Strong!

Injured/Suspended returns -Very Strong!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, jahync, but given Cap constraints, we're in a good position. IMO..

WR depth is most certainly NOT very strong...

i'm not so learned on 20+ other NFL teams to know that our depth is any better or worse than theirs.

its true. none of us are.

my gut feels a little uneasy with a few of the moves. spots like not tendering hogan, the manny cut.... we do have depth at some positions though, and thats really all any team can claim. we are definitely seeing the transition towards a normal nfl roster (high paid stars, and not a lot of middle ground). not having a qb to pay (among a few other positions too) gave us a little more wiggle room in the middle of the roster the last few years when we were discussing whaley having assembled such a complete 53.

Seattle, Green Bay, Arizona, Denver, New England

Who is the backup running back in Green Bay?

Who is the starting running back in New England?

Name the CB3/4 for any of these teams.

Who's the backup WLB for Arizona?

its true. none of us are.

my gut feels a little uneasy with a few of the moves. spots like not tendering hogan, the manny cut.... we do have depth at some positions though, and thats really all any team can claim. we are definitely seeing the transition towards a normal nfl roster (high paid stars, and not a lot of middle ground). not having a qb to pay (among a few other positions too) gave us a little more wiggle room in the middle of the roster the last few years when we were discussing whaley having assembled such a complete 53.

teams simply can't be "deep" at every position. they can only hope to be deep in the areas where they sustain injuries.

Who is the backup running back in Green Bay?

Who is the starting running back in New England?

Name the CB3/4 for any of these teams.

Who's the backup WLB for Arizona?

Starks is the GB backup running back, you should know that.

Blount is gonna thrive in NE in their power formation, double-TE approach.

Denver, Arizona and Seattle have STACKED secondaries - their third corners would start on most teams.

You got me, I don't know who the backup WLB in Arizona is.

teams simply can't be "deep" at every position. they can only hope to be deep in the areas where they sustain injuries.

its true, and i point i kind of made in my post.

we could probably be deeper in a few more spots though, if gearing up for a deep playoff run this year. we made some choices along the way that were more long term cap oriented than maximizing 2016 wins (not a bad thing, just an acknowledgement). We also had a lot of guys getting their big deals which weeds out some of the middle we could count on.

and of course having to bring in a vet instead of relying on the super cheap karlos and upgrading somewhere else slightly was another little move that hurts quality depth on a roster.

Our depth seems very weak going into this season, more so than in recent years. The lack of depth impacts almost every position, including, in particular, O-line, WR, TE, and LB. I also see very few back-ups that are up and coming type players, so I am not sure we will see many jumps in player development over this season from that pool of players. This may be in part due to our salary cap situation in the offseason where we did not have the flexibility to sign any quality back-ups.

If Patrick Lewis can backup the OL depth is actually pretty good. Don't take anything from the last preseason game. Our OL depth didn't even play, Henderson, Kouandjio, and Lewis.

ILB I'm fine with. OLB I worry about. TE and WR are a concern.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Seattle, Green Bay, Arizona, Denver, New England

Denver, Arizona and Seattle have STACKED secondaries - their third corners would start on most teams.

Our secondary is pretty stacked too. Sorry, dont buy it that teams have that much better depth. I dont see it anywhere.

I would add that Dion Lewis is NE's starting RB in pass formations, and his backup is James White. Couple of softballs to start with, but I'll confess that I don't know any other team's backups on defense.

I would add that Dion Lewis is NE's starting RB in pass formations, and his backup is James White. Couple of softballs to start with, but I'll confess that I don't know any other team's backups on defense.

Not right now he isn't