How Good Must Tyrod Be For Bills To Contend For Playoffs?

OldTimer1960

With the defense hurting due to injuries and suspensions, it looks like the Bills will be forced to rely on an offense that isn't built to be a high scoring unit.

I was very pleasantly surprised by Tyrod Taylor's play last year. I think that he will need to take another significant step forward in order to keep the Bills in contention for the full regular season.

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3500-3800 yds passing, 600-700 yds rushing, and 30 total TD's.

I think that is about right. I don't think the defense will be in the top half of the league, so Taylor, McCoy and Watkins are going to have to play great to pick up the slack.

He has to be serviceable, manage a good game and not throw picks. The Defense must be really good. I think Taylor has more skill than Trent Dilfer, and he has a ring.

I don't think the defense is going to be very good. Having good CBs with no DL or LBs is going to be a problem. The starting DL looks like it will be an old Kyle Williams who has barely participated in camp, 3rd round rookie Washington and journeyman Jerrel Worrthy. LBs are Preston Brown and a bunch of cast offs.

What he needs to be is healthy for all 16. We don't need EJ under Center for 3 or 4 starts or we're done. I think it is a given pretty much that he will be better this year being it is his 2nd year as a starter and in this system. We need a healthy McCoy all year long too. The defense is the question mark with all of the injuries, Marcel's suspension, and people no longer here on that side of the ball.

I think that is about right. I don't think the defense will be in the top half of the league, so Taylor, McCoy and Watkins are going to have to play great to pick up the slack.

I don't think the defense is going to be very good. Having good CBs with no DL or LBs is going to be a problem. The starting DL looks like it will be an old Kyle Williams who has barely participated in camp, 3rd round rookie Washington and journeyman Jerrel Worrthy. LBs are Preston Brown and a bunch of cast offs.

The funny thing is, you chose the most pessimistic descriptions of all the defensive players when one could just as reasonably say experienced and healthy Kyle Williams, 3rd round rookie Washington who has impressed in game action, and former 2nd round pick Jerel Worthy who says this scheme fits his play perfectly.

We just don't know, yet, what this defense will look like.

What he needs to be is healthy for all 16. We don't need EJ under Center for 3 or 4 starts or we're done. I think it is a given pretty much that he will be better this year being it is his 2nd year as a starter and in this system. We need a healthy McCoy all year long too. The defense is the question mark with all of the injuries, Marcel's suspension, and people no longer here on that side of the ball.

With you except for it being a given that Taylor will be better. There a plenty of one year wonders who couldn't sustain success. That being said, I like Taylor and hope that he is the long-term answer.

The funny thing is, you chose the most pessimistic descriptions of all the defensive players when one could just as reasonably say experienced and healthy Kyle Williams, 3rd round rookie Washington who has impressed in game action, and former 2nd round pick Jerel Worthy who says this scheme fits his play perfectly.

We just don't know, yet, what this defense will look like.

That is true, but I think my description is closer to what the league sees than is the more optimistic description that you offer.

I think this team is either going to win or lose based mostly on the play of Tyrod Taylor. He will be the difference maker in most of the games. If he plays substantially better than last year, then the Bills have a shot at the division and the playoffs. If he plays the same as last year, the Bills lose the division and miss the playoffs yet again. In my opinion, there is more weight on his shoulders than any other single player or position....

And the supporting cast will have to play well enough to give Tyrod a chance to shine. If the Bills don't have an above average rushing attack (measured in average yards per carry), then I don't think Tyrod will have enough chances to shine. Or, if the Bills' defense can't stop the run at all, then how well Tyrod plays will be less of a factor anyway.

And of course the season rarely plays out exactly as you predict. So you have to wonder where the anomalies will be this year?

He must be really good.

:lol: Like "finishing everything on his plate at dinner, walking old ladies across the street, and taking out the garbage before he's been asked to" good?

I think he's got that covered. I also expect him to continue to grow as a professional. He's certainly shown that he's comfortable being the #1 guy in OTAs and TC and PS games so far. I'm expecting the entire O will be better this year than last, and it's not hard to imagine how the D could be better than the 2015 edition.

It's a team game. All the pieces have to come together and stay together. I'm hoping for no more injuries this entire year.

He must be really good.

I slightly disagree, I think very, very good. Go Bills!!

Agreed! And to add on a poor D coach! Or at least below average.

I think that if he sustains the level of play from last year they will have a shot at a playoff spot. The defense, despite the injuries, should improve IMO. McCoy and Watkins are healthier, so you have that going for you. Tyrod was 8-6 last year without those things going for him. We are all hoping (and expecting) improvement from TT. It doesn't have to be a massive leap though to contend for the playoffs. It is going to have to be a jump to be a Super Bowl contender though.