How Good Must Tyrod Be For Bills To Contend For Playoffs?

OldTimer1960

Last week he was bad (as was Roman). This week they moved the football fine on a good defense. They left their corners on an island and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. That's why they lost.

Yes the defense was putrid. On offense, they had a couple of big plays to make the game look competitive and a garbage TD at the end. But Tyrod makes inaccurate throws far too many times that result in the Bills punting when a drive should still be going.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the defense was putrid. On offense, they had a couple of big plays to make the game look competitive and a garbage TD at the end. But Tyrod makes inaccurate throws far too many times that result in the Bills punting when a drive should still be going.

If you score 24 on offense and 31 in total you should beat a Ryan Fitzpatrick led team. This one is one Rex IMO. He couldn't get the team off the field.

Last week he was bad (as was Roman). This week they moved the football fine on a good defense. They left their corners on an island and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. That's why they lost.

The third down defense was maddening, but they did not move the ball well. The two long TDs were nice -- but you can't count on that happening every week. They showed they still can't sustain drives.

Taylor is only good on deep passes. He is erratic on short and medium passes. Until he gets better there is no way they make the playoffs.

Actually, last night, on the 2nd long TD bomb, even though the guy was WIDE OPEN, he underthrew him, and gave the safety a chance to almost make the tackle/make a play.

I'm sorry to say this, but from what I saw last night, he was terrible with his accuracy. Yes, the 1st long bomb to Goodwin was right on the money, but about 90% of his other passes were off the mark, and a lot of those were "easier" throws than the bomb to Goodwin.

I don't think we have to worry about this question.

But you called it dude. We have to overpay him before he leaves us for 30 mil a year. Shoulda paid Osweiler smh

24 offensive points with too many misses on routine throws that could have kept drives going. Same thing last week with missed opportunities.

This. Up 24-20 with a chance to go up 2 scores and we can't complete routine plays.

The third down defense was maddening, but they did not move the ball well. The two long TDs were nice -- but you can't count on that happening every week. They showed they still can't sustain drives.

They are a big play offense though. That's what they are good at, throwing the ball down the field. It's not lucky that they made plays doing it. It's a strength and something that they don't do enough IMO. That's why I was so frustrated Sunday. They aren't a dink and dunk ball control offense.

They are a big play offense though. That's what they are good at, throwing the ball down the field. It's not lucky that they made plays doing it. It's a strength and something that they don't do enough IMO. That's why I was so frustrated Sunday. They aren't a dink and dunk ball control offense.

The type of offense does not excuse the QB when he does not execute routine NFL intermediate and short throws to sustain drives.

I seem to remember a team in NFL history that decided the big play offense wouldn't cut it if your QB couldn't also make the routine/move the sticks plays. That's when the idea took hold for good, and it hasn't ever switched back. Q. Oh, what team and when was that? A. Raiders, Lamonica to Stabler switch, c. 1973 ...

It's beyond frustrating that this guy has regressed so badly. All the 530 workouts and other BS doesn't mean a thing if you don't have it between the ears, it's something that can't be over come at this level. Extremely athletic but doesn't have the accuracy or where with all to read a defense. And if he isn't allowed to audible or doesn't then shame on the coaches and organization for investing in mediocrity. I will gladly eat my shirt if this light bulb goes on but after 6 years in the league I just don't see it. He sat behind an elite QB for 4 seasons and could not be more opposite in comparison. You can't be a gun slinger or late with your throws when you are not accurate.

This is really bad product on the field, Another poster was correct, other than the broken plays and fumble recovery this was an absolute blow out. The JETS came to play and we looked like we could care less. That's on the coach.

The type of offense does not excuse the QB when he does not execute routine NFL intermediate and short throws to sustain drives.

Not saying that it does, he has limitations for sure. My larger point (more Sunday) if you are really good at throwing the ball down the field why don't you do it a lot? Play to your strengths. For the Bills to be successful this year the deep ball needs to be a central part of the offense. When Tyrod escapes the pocket is when they are at their best. Like Ben, when he feels pressured he tries to hurt you over the top. I don't see the value in having Tyrod stand in the pocket and try to hit Robert Woods on a 6 yard cross. Why not have more moving pockets and designed roll outs if Tyrod is your QB?

I seem to remember a team in NFL history that decided the big play offense wouldn't cut it if your QB couldn't also make the routine/move the sticks plays. That's when the idea took hold for good, and it hasn't ever switched back. Q. Oh, what team and when was that? A. Raiders, Lamonica to Stabler switch, c. 1973 ...

Maybe not, but that's what the Bills are set up to do. If we wanted 15 play drives this team won't win 4 games.

Not saying that it does, he has limitations for sure. My larger point (more Sunday) if you are really good at throwing the ball down the field why don't you do it a lot? Play to your strengths. For the Bills to be successful this year the deep ball needs to be a central part of the offense. When Tyrod escapes the pocket is when they are at their best. Like Ben, when he feels pressured he tries to hurt you over the top. I don't see the value in having Tyrod stand in the pocket and try to hit Robert Woods on a 6 yard cross. Why not have more moving pockets and designed roll outs if Tyrod is your QB?

Maybe not, but that's what the Bills are set up to do. If we wanted 15 play drives this team won't win 4 games.

I get your point 100% and have no argument with it, but he has to be able to hit all of the throws in order for the deep ball to be there for him. He's not good enough and I see regression in his game from the 2015 season.

I get your point 100% and have no argument with it, but he has to be able to hit all of the throws in order for the deep ball to be there for him. He's not good enough and I see regression in his game from the 2015 season.

Those throws are there though. Who can cover Goodwin up top? Getting those safeties away from the line will open up that short stuff and the running game, not the other way around. I haven't watched the All -22 yet from yesterday so maybe that was the case.

Exactly! 48 offensive plays last week, 49 last night. All they have is the big play, the Bills and Tyrod cannot sustain a drive to save their lives. The defense is spending way too much time on the field.

Those throws are there though. Who can cover Goodwin up top? Getting those safeties away from the line will open up that short stuff and the running game, not the other way around. I haven't watched the All -22 yet from yesterday so maybe that was the case.

If the big play is all you have, you're not gonna win many games. Edited by Bubba Gump

It works both ways and that's why you have to be able to execute short, intermediate, and long throws. You have to keep the defense guessing and off balance in order to get the most out of a big play offense.

Not saying that it does, he has limitations for sure. My larger point (more Sunday) if you are really good at throwing the ball down the field why don't you do it a lot? Play to your strengths. For the Bills to be successful this year the deep ball needs to be a central part of the offense. When Tyrod escapes the pocket is when they are at their best. Like Ben, when he feels pressured he tries to hurt you over the top. I don't see the value in having Tyrod stand in the pocket and try to hit Robert Woods on a 6 yard cross. Why not have more moving pockets and designed roll outs if Tyrod is your QB?Maybe not, but that's what the Bills are set up to do. If we wanted 15 play drives this team won't win 4 games.

Those 15 play drives help the defense tremendously by staying on the sideline getting rest.

Those 15 play drives help the defense tremendously by staying on the sideline getting rest.

Dont disagree at all, that's just not what this team is built to do. They don't have those "possession" type of players. The Bills are a big play offense.

It works both ways and that's why you have to be able to execute short, intermediate, and long throws. You have to keep the defense guessing and off balance in order to get the most out of a big play offense.

I don't disagree. It's kind of chicken and egg. Do you throw to set up the run or run to set up the throw? The Bills have to excute those short and intermediate routes better for sure.