Who Will The Bills Cut to Get to 75?

Nanker

The first cut (to 75) is the boring one, in my opinion. These are the guys who have played poorly, and probably already know they're gone. The next cut, to 53, is the much more interesting one because you're truly giving 20-or-so players one more shot (this Thursday) at making an impression and sticking around as depth or ST contributors.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first cut (to 75) is the boring one, in my opinion. These are the guys who have played poorly, and probably already know they're gone. The next cut, to 53, is the much more interesting one because you're truly giving 20-or-so players one more shot (this Thursday) at making an impression and sticking around as depth or ST contributors.

Perhaps, but it can be the one more likely to yield some players who may have value to the Bills. Many teams will give a veteran professional courtesy and release them early for this cutdown. This helps get their name out there before the floodgates open, and maybe they latch on somewhere. In many ways this is the real cutdown. There may be a few positional battles still undecided but most of those final cuts ( barring injury) are already known. Teams just need a lot of bodies to get through the farce that is the fourth preseason game. Most guys playing a lot of minutes in that game will be unemployed a few days after.

1. Rex Ryan says Eric Striker has limitations with size and speed: "It doesn't fit the NFL standard."

1 retweet1 like

Retweet

More

2. Rex on Eric Striker: "I love the guy's heart. It's just unfortunate that there are good veterans ahead of him"

Perhaps, but it can be the one more likely to yield some players who may have value to the Bills. Many teams will give a veteran professional courtesy and release them early for this cutdown. This helps get their name out there before the floodgates open, and maybe they latch on somewhere. In many ways this is the real cutdown. There may be a few positional battles still undecided but most of those final cuts ( barring injury) are already known. Teams just need a lot of bodies to get through the farce that is the fourth preseason game. Most guys playing a lot of minutes in that game will be unemployed a few days after.

Good points.

@SalSports

Rex says he team will use the final practice before making cuts. Incase of injury, etc., but says they already have decisions made

@JaySkurski

Ryan says he thinks all coaches would prefer not to have the roster cut to 75, and just go straight to the 53-man roster. #Bills

This, surprisingly, makes a lot of sense to do it this way, in case of injuries. We don't usually do it that way.

Thought that last year and there I was absent mindedly out shopping then we cut Fred and all hell broke loose!

Must mean there is more depth in some areas and that's going to make it more difficult.

I think he wants to play the starters as little as possible against Detroit. He still needs to field a full squad though.

Interesting that the cut to 75 is taking so much thought.

Must mean there is more depth in some areas and that's going to make it more difficult.

I think he wants to play the starters as little as possible against Detroit. He still needs to field a full squad though.

Interesting that the cut to 75 is taking so much thought.

I think that is what it is. It isnt necessarily going to be the easiest 15 cuts. It is the right ones to get the balanced 75 which allows him to rest the starters on Thursday.

I think that is what it is. It isnt necessarily going to be the easiest 15 cuts. It is the right ones to get the balanced 75 which allows him to rest the starters on Thursday.

Yep. If they want to stash some developmental studs on the PS, they won't be the first to go either. e.g., Albright.

#Bills Insider @ChrisBrownBills on who might win a job in the final preseason game "@scoopNscore_89_"

#Bills Insider @ChrisBrownBills "anyone is fair game" on cuts coming from the WR position.

I think Strong could be very good. I doubt they would let him go.

Playing him 4th behind both rookies, I'm not convinced that they like him as much as some people outside of Houston do. Did he come in out of shape or something last year? I remember Bill OB being hard on him.

Playing him 4th behind both rookies, I'm not convinced that they like him as much as some people outside of Houston do. Did he come in out of shape or something last year? I remember Bill OB being hard on him.

He did last year yes. Early reports this year were that he was doing great. Haven't paid attention or seen anything myself good or bad since then. I'm an asu fan so I saw every game he's played. He was a tremendous player. And I'm not a homer for them. I think most would and do make lousy pros. Osweiler was never all that good in college IMO.

Jaelen got busted for pot during the offseason. Didn't exactly help his cause.

Jaelen got busted for pot during the offseason. Didn't exactly help his cause.

It's rare you see a kid that talented playing so late in the third preseason game. Seems like he has never been in favor of that staff, with Miller and Fuller showing so well I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved.

OZ looked good this weekend Kelly!

It's rare you see a kid that talented playing so late in the third preseason game. Seems like he has never been in favor of that staff, with Miller and Fuller showing so well I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved.

OZ looked good this weekend Kelly!

A lot of QBs look good in preseason. Oz is a tease QB because he is so big and has a cannon and his highlight reels are awesome and can go for stretches looking damn good. He's just not any good. Which is why I think Elway gave up on him. Guys like OBrien think they are QB Whisperers and can do wizardry on guys like that. I think he will soon find out you can't when real bullets fly.

A lot of QBs look good in preseason. Oz is a tease QB because he is so big and has a cannon and his highlight reels are awesome and can go for stretches looking damn good. He's just not any good. Which is why I think Elway gave up on him. Guys like OBrien think they are QB Whisperers and can do wizardry on guys like that. I think he will soon find out you can't when real bullets fly.

Hmm you may prove to be right but I think they surrounded him with a good group. On paper the WR's compliment eachother perfectly and add Lamar Miller into the mix....

We will keep tabs on this one, I'm curious to see how well he does or doesn't do. I think Elway is hard headed and didn't like the push back from an unproven player.

I think Houston walks away with that division. Good team

Hmm you may prove to be right but I think they surrounded him with a good group. On paper the WR's compliment eachother perfectly and add Lamar Miller into the mix....

We will keep tabs on this one, I'm curious to see how well he does or doesn't do. I think Elway is hard headed and didn't like the push back from an unproven player.

Will be interesting. Hopkins can make anyone look good for awhile. I just wouldn't want Osweler as my starter. Seems like a good guy though.