Pure Genius: Patriots Acquire Mingo from Cleveland

Ed%2BAmes%2Bas%2Bmingo%2B1964-1968.jpg

Kudos for the Daniel Boone reference. I think this is an inside joke for the get off my lawn crowd, though.

I almost think half the allure and hype of this player was the name. I think there's a much better chance Jerel Worthy turns out to be the player who has a renaissance with a second chance team.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you might be right. but I would feel better if he stayed in Cle rather than go to NE. Belichick has taken far less physically talented players and made them into good players.

Yeah. I just like consistency. Would people be saying this about Hughes if he got traded to NE instead of us? Because he was less productive than Mingo his first 3 years.

I don't disagree at all. Cleveland does not do a good job developing players. He may become a serviceable situational player but I am not holding my breath.

I see a lot of Hughes comparisons and that is why I bring up college. Hughes was a 2-time All-American that produced numbers. The Bills might have said, "he's struggling in Indy but we've seen him do it. Maybe they are using him wrong?" The conversation with Mingo is different. He has the athleticism to do the job well but he has nothing on his resume that says that he does the job well. There is no production to point to.

I don't disagree at all. Cleveland does not do a good job developing players. He may become a serviceable situational player but I am not holding my breath.

I see a lot of Hughes comparisons and that is why I bring up college. Hughes was a 2-time All-American that produced numbers. The Bills might have said, "he's struggling in Indy but we've seen him do it. Maybe they are using him wrong?" The conversation with Mingo is different. He has the athleticism to do the job well but he has nothing on his resume that says that he does the job well. There is no production to point to.

The thing about Hughes that people don't know or forgot or just refuse to acknowledge was that at Indy, his first two seasons he was in a defense that was completely foreign to him and didn't play to his strengths at all. In his third season with Indy, he was put in his natural pass rush position like he was used on the Bills, he started 6 games and had 4 sacks in them.

@AdamSchefter

2017 draft: Cleveland now has Philadelphia's 1st-round pick, Tennessee’s 2nd-round pick, New England’s 5th-round pick.

It's the Browns, so they'll likely find a way to f#@k it up...But I like what they're doing. Hope Hue isn't judged on the next 2 seasons.

@RapSheet

Why was the price for Barkevious Mingo so high? Source informed of the trade said the #Lions also made a play. His market was real.

So the market was them and the Lions? Trading a late round pick for a former 1st rounder? Not exactly making a great case there @RapSheet.

But it's a low-risk move for the Cheaters. It will likely be low reward but he's cheap and he's got just 1-year left on his contract.

FWIW, I have mentioned it before but I work with a former Patriots player. He is still really close with Rob Ninkovich (they got there at the same time). He said that he talked to him last week and he said that IF he is able to play this year it will be it for him. He has torn triceps and I guess that it isn't too good. This isn't shocking but he is only 32.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

FWIW, I have mentioned it before but I work with a former Patriots player. He is still really close with Rob Ninkovich (they got there at the same time). He said that he talked to him last week and he said that IF he is able to play this year it will be it for him. He has torn triceps and I guess that it isn't too good. This isn't shocking but he is only 32.

Ninkovitch has been a good player for them